Darryl Moore

Default Home made Bandsaw question????

I've got this wild hair of an idea to construct a 24" or larger bandsaw, by
using Bicycle tires (big mountain bike type)
I've run across a few bikes in thrift stores and the such for under $20
buck.
I'm wondering if I can utilize the two tires along with the treads and inner
tube to construct a housing(steel) where I can use it in a bandsaw
fashion???? I could even use the sprocket chain and such to provide a means
to electrically power the wheel- surely it won't be this easy, with the
alignment and guides and stuff,but the basics seem pretty sound to me at
this point... Just think I can probably end up with a Bandsaw that has a 26"
throat working capacity for under $100 bucks by welding bike parts and
scraps...mmmmm - I only plan to do light wood working and aluminum cutting
with it... IS THIS A FEASIBLE IDEA??!

Kruppt

"Darryl Moore" wrote in

[...]

It is possible, depending......
check this link out for some ideas.

http://pennswoods.net/~zigbug/

Note the tire and wheel concept.
If a band sawmill for cutting lumber
can be made from trailer/car tires,
I'm sure that it could be done on a smaller scale
by someone with the will/skills to do so.

Kruppt

TLKALLAM8

I saw a home made band saw in a box plant ,it used tires off of a small trayler
about 16 inches in dia.it used 3 tires and had a very deep throt.They adjusted
the blade tension buy adding air to the tires or letting it out .
Wwj2110

IS THIS A FEASIBLE IDEA??!

I have a feeling that a bike wheel axle is a bit too frail to hold up to the
clamping pressure of a saw blade as it will be supported on 1 side only. I like
the trailer wheel idea tho.
Jim McGill

There was a side bar in an old "Fine Woodworking" on making a big
bandsaw out of bike wheels. No problem with the axles, as I remember,
but I think the fellow straight spoked the wheels to reduce flex. Also
seem to remember he put hard rubber on the rims to increase tracking
accuracy. FWW has a good cumulative index, you should be able to find
it.

Jim

Ben

Try this link for a industrial homemade bandsaw
http://www.motherearthnews.com/menar...084-172-01.htm

Also I have a 1956 "Do it yourself encyclopaedia" From popular mechanics
that has a bandsaw made from pipe fittings and wood, I remember using one my
grandpa made and it was better than you might think, I will see if I can
find a scanner and send it to you. Otherwise go to your local library and go
to the archive section and ask for 1956 "Do it yourself encyclopaedia" From
popular mechanics volume 1 and copy it.

Ben

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
There was a side bar in an old "Fine Woodworking" on making a big
bandsaw out of bike wheels. No problem with the axles, as I remember,
but I think the fellow straight spoked the wheels to reduce flex. Also
seem to remember he put hard rubber on the rims to increase tracking
accuracy. FWW has a good cumulative index, you should be able to find
it.

Jim

Leo Lichtman

"Wwj2110" wrote: I have a feeling that a bike wheel axle
is a bit too frail to hold up to the clamping pressure of a saw blade as it
will be supported on 1 side only. I like the trailer wheel idea tho.
^^^^^^^^^^^
I like the trailer wheel idea too, but I don't think the bike wheels will
necessarily be too frail. Rather than support them from one side, I would
build the saw frame out of two front forks. This would eliminate the
inherent weakness of a cantelevered axle. Installing blades would be
accomplished by removing the wheels, which is very easy using standard
bicycle quick release axles.

Prof. Harry Paratestis

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:37:10 GMT, "Darryl Moore"
wrote:

I've got this wild hair of an idea to construct a 24" or larger bandsaw, by
using Bicycle tires (big mountain bike type)
I've run across a few bikes in thrift stores and the such for under $20
buck.
I'm wondering if I can utilize the two tires along with the treads and inner
tube to construct a housing(steel) where I can use it in a bandsaw
fashion???? I could even use the sprocket chain and such to provide a means
to electrically power the wheel- surely it won't be this easy, with the
alignment and guides and stuff,but the basics seem pretty sound to me at
this point... Just think I can probably end up with a Bandsaw that has a 26"
throat working capacity for under $100 bucks by welding bike parts and
scraps...mmmmm - I only plan to do light wood working and aluminum cutting
with it... IS THIS A FEASIBLE IDEA??!

Save your time and effort and possibly consider a good used one for
$200 that WILL last you for a long time or untill you sell it .
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:30:22 GMT, Prof. Harry Paratestis
calmly ranted:

wrote:

I've got this wild hair of an idea to construct a 24" or larger bandsaw, by
using Bicycle tires (big mountain bike type)
I've run across a few bikes in thrift stores and the such for under $20
buck.
I'm wondering if I can utilize the two tires along with the treads and inner
tube to construct a housing(steel) where I can use it in a bandsaw
fashion???? I could even use the sprocket chain and such to provide a means
to electrically power the wheel- surely it won't be this easy, with the
alignment and guides and stuff,but the basics seem pretty sound to me at
this point... Just think I can probably end up with a Bandsaw that has a 26"
throat working capacity for under $100 bucks by welding bike parts and
scraps...mmmmm - I only plan to do light wood working and aluminum cutting
with it... IS THIS A FEASIBLE IDEA??!

Yes, Darryl. 636-724-1812 , Gilliom Manufacturing, Inc.
500 Boonslick Rd, PO Box 1018, St. Charles, MO 63302-1018
for 18" and 12" wheels plus all the other parts for homemade
bandsaws, sanders, table saws, etc. (Primarily woodworking,
but everything's modifiable, right?)

Or find the Vincent Gingery book for building your own 12" x
6"d bandsaw and modify the plans.

Save your time and effort and possibly consider a good used one for
$200 that WILL last you for a long time or untill you sell it .

I've seen 14" bandsaws going cheap, but 24+ inchers?

The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

knob

wrote:

[...]

I think building one is a great idea but I'm going to buy one
because I need it now. You may find that the bicycle wheels/bearings
won't last with the tensions required by the blades.

Roy

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:09:00 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

===On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 06:30:22 GMT, Prof. Harry Paratestis
calmly ranted:
===
===On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:37:10 GMT, "Darryl Moore"
wrote:
===
[...]

Sure is. I built a 20" job and it did not take all that much time or
materials to complete and its not missed abeat yet. I don;t think I
would build somehting around bike wheels though, they are just not
stout enough. What I had planed on using for my wheels were the large
cast iron wheels commonly found in those electromagetic exercycles.
They range in size from 14" to 20 inches in diameter, and have ample
meat on them to to face em and groove em for the tire, as well as
bore to fit spindles etc. Look around you may just find some in a
thrift shop or visit an execise equipment dealer and ask! I have three
the same size right now 19 " all from the same brand of exercycle, but
what stopped me in the end from using them was I could not machine
them in my lathe as my swing was not quite large enough even with the
gap removed.

The band saw that I built is on my Projects Page along with images
etc of how it was made. In the end I cast my own wheels out of
aluminum, and went three wheels so I had a larger throat.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
wrote:

I've got this wild hair of an idea to construct a 24" or larger bandsaw, by
using Bicycle tires (big mountain bike type)

[ ... ]

scraps...mmmmm - I only plan to do light wood working and aluminum cutting
with it... IS THIS A FEASIBLE IDEA??!

Save your time and effort and possibly consider a good used one for
$200 that WILL last you for a long time or untill you sell it .

Is there any particular reason why you revived this ancient
thread? Look at the timestamp in the original to which you followed up:

Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:37:10 GMT

about nine months old -- a long dead thread.

Is your newsreader presenting you with such antique posts
without telling you how old they are?

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564