Maxprop

Default Cheap tools

There recently was a thread about cheap turning tools, specifically those at
Harbor Freight. It stimulated me to check them out, which I did. Also
bought a set. For $40 it's hard to go entirely wrong.

They claim to be HSS, but who knows. I was having a bit of trouble
sharpening my new Sorby tools, so I decided to practice on these cheapies.
And voila (!) my technique is improving. I tuned up my better roughing
gouge this morning and it looks 100% better than it did before, thanks to
the experience of grinding those cheap tools. If nothing else, the
experience gained through *ruining* a set of $40 tools is cheap training,
and insurance against ruining expensive tools.

The bonus is: those cheap tools actually work rather well. The largest
gouge--probably a large spindle gouge rather than a roughing gouge--works
almost as well as my Sorby gouge of nearly equivalent dimensions. Will it
stay as sharp? More details at eleven, or whenever.

Max

Brand of tools? Darren Woodturning 14 January 28th 04 01:39 AM
Storage of power tools Peter Bull UK diy 18 January 6th 04 10:48 PM
ADVICE NEEDED ON TURNING TOOLS [email protected] Woodturning 20 September 23rd 03 07:52 AM