Don D.

Default here is my weedend project

Well I finally got around to having a couple days to myself. I spent it
making this rack to get my steel off a bench table.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG

Not much but it gave me a day to play with my Miller 175. Now I have my 135
up for sale as long as I don't need that one
..
Pictured in the rack is not the steel I am talking about. This is the steel
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...eel_rack_4.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...eel_rack_3.JPG

There may be a chance I might get organized.

NOT!!

Don D.

Grant Erwin

Don D. wrote:
Well I finally got around to having a couple days to myself. I spent it
making this rack to get my steel off a bench table.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG

Not much but it gave me a day to play with my Miller 175. Now I have my 135
up for sale as long as I don't need that one

Nice. How much did the entire rack project cost you in materials and
consumables? - GWE
Don D.

4 casters $15.00
1 20' 1/2 sq $7.??
Bed frames FREEBEE'S
4' 3/4 sq, left over scrap
24 x 48 expanded metal, left over about $7.??
1 spray can Primer and 2 spray cans paint flat black $6.??
2 days: prep, cutting, welding, painting all mig welded...
Total $35.00

OH my god now I figured out I spent to much money on that...

Thanks alot, I had no idea before this... ........................ Just
kidding

I hope that is what you wanted.

Don D.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Don D. wrote:
Well I finally got around to having a couple days to myself. I spent it
making this rack to get my steel off a bench table.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG

Not much but it gave me a day to play with my Miller 175. Now I have my
135
up for sale as long as I don't need that one

Nice. How much did the entire rack project cost you in materials and
consumables? - GWE

Ben Jackson

On 2005-02-22, Don D. wrote:
Well I finally got around to having a couple days to myself. I spent it
making this rack to get my steel off a bench table.

Yes, the best way to store steel is to weld it into a project.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Grant Erwin

Now ask yourself how much you'd sell it for, in other words how much real
actual value it has for YOU? I bet it's way more than $35.

A little while ago I built a rack for storing steel. Mine was a little
different, and I didn't paint mine. I think I got my cost under $10.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ScrapRack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...BeingBuilt.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/ScrapRackDone.jpg

My shop is a *much* better place to work with all that scrap neatly piled
onto a rack!

GWE

Don D. wrote:

Well I finally got around to having a couple days to myself. I spent it
making this rack to get my steel off a bench table.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG

Not much but it gave me a day to play with my Miller 175. Now I have my
135
up for sale as long as I don't need that one

Nice. How much did the entire rack project cost you in materials and
consumables? - GWE

Don D.

Grant
The rack is worth way more to me than 35.00 but I would not pay that
much more if I had to buy one, knowing I can build it my self.
Every thing is getting into one place now instead of looking in
different places saying "I know I saw it someplace or here before" I
personally like to be a little organized so I do not spend my time looking
for things al the time. Plus the neighbors don't bitch so much.......
Now my wife on the other hand, that is a different story. "Why do you
have so much JUNK on the side of the house" I just ask her to leave this
side, because this in my corner, She has the rest of the house.

Don D. wrote:

Well I finally got around to having a couple days to myself. I spent it
making this rack to get my steel off a bench table.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG

Not much but it gave me a day to play with my Miller 175. Now I have my
135
up for sale as long as I don't need that one

Nice. How much did the entire rack project cost you in materials and
consumables? - GWE

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:05:55 -0700, the inscrutable "Don D."
spake:

4 casters $15.00
1 20' 1/2 sq $7.??

Wow, I was just quoted $29.90 for a 20' stick of 1/2" square tubing
at the local scrap metal yard. After seeing your price, I called
another local steel shop and they get $9.21 for it. I should have
brought those 2 bed frames up here with me when I moved. This
welder is on wheels but the consumables aren't handy. I found that
the hand-held mask from HF that came with the welder was useless
and Icouldn't see squat, so I made another trek to HF for the $49
special. What a difference! I'll be pop-riveting a leather piece
over the top to help more with the light since I'm welding outside
now.

://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/steel_rack_2.JPG

I just build similarly configured rack out of wood for my
woodworking clamps. All 60 fit, with room to spare!

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen
Don D.

I go to a scrap yard to buy gas well pipe for my posts for the horses to
hold their panel to and the gates. I also buy anything straight that I can
use all for .20 cents a pound.
three 9' X 3"? gas well and misc. pipes and steel, weighed in @ 100 lb =
$20.00, a 75 - 100 lb piece of R/R tie for banging on $5.00.
I like scrap yards, there are a lot of things I could modify to work for
something else... Better that buying new if you are using it just for your
own use... The old saying is "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

Don D.

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:03:16 -0700, the inscrutable "Don D."
spake:

I go to a scrap yard to buy gas well pipe for my posts for the horses to
hold their panel to and the gates. I also buy anything straight that I can
use all for .20 cents a pound.
three 9' X 3"? gas well and misc. pipes and steel, weighed in @ 100 lb =
$20.00, a 75 - 100 lb piece of R/R tie for banging on $5.00.

I just picked up a pallet of ties for $6.99 each and am fitting the
truck with a crane so I can drag the sumbitches around the yard when
I start playing this Spring. Well pipe is thickwalled stuff, isn't
it? $20 is a great price for 1+ projects' worth of "stuff."

I like scrap yards, there are a lot of things I could modify to work for
something else... Better that buying new if you are using it just for your
own use...

The White City yard (half an hour's drive away) must have 50x the
"stuff" this little yard has, so I might take a wander over there next
time I'm shopping for cheap steel. Aluminum is going for $1.95/lb.
here. Is that about standard, about twice what they're paying?

The old saying is "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

That's true, and I try to get top dollar for my junk while paying mere
pennies on the dollar for theirs. There's a $5 word for that but
I can't think of it right at the moment. I just got up. yawn

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright
----------------------------
Don D.

I have pipe from 2" - 6" dia.about 6' long and they are damn near 1/4"
thick. I hand pick out the ones I want, some of the pipes have a lot of slag
of some kind baked in to the pipes so I leave them behind.
They have truck hitches that can be separated for the sq tube..

What a candy store to hit on.

[...]

Glenn

Larry,
About 2 weeks ago I was out to white city metals and the aluminum, brass and
stainless had gone up to $2.50 a lb and steel scrap up to .35 a lb.
Just so you aren't shocked.
Give me a holler if ya make it down and have the time.
Glenn
[...]

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:53:31 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn"
spake:

Larry,
About 2 weeks ago I was out to white city metals and the aluminum, brass and
stainless had gone up to $2.50 a lb and steel scrap up to .35 a lb.
Just so you aren't shocked.
Give me a holler if ya make it down and have the time.

I'll be down there on Saturday March 5th for sure. The HF Sidewalk
Sale is on and I gotskta get me wunna them electronical fly swatters.

Ping me offline (with your phone and address) using the email address
on my site, www.diversify.com

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications