Don D.

If steel is making a price hike in the scrap yards then I better hall butt
to grab what I can.

"Glenn" wrote in message
Larry,
About 2 weeks ago I was out to white city metals and the aluminum, brass
and stainless had gone up to $2.50 a lb and steel scrap up to .35 a lb.
Just so you aren't shocked.
Give me a holler if ya make it down and have the time.
Glenn
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:03:16 -0700, the inscrutable "Don D."
spake:

I go to a scrap yard to buy gas well pipe for my posts for the horses
hold their panel to and the gates. I also buy anything straight that I
can
use all for .20 cents a pound.
three 9' X 3"? gas well and misc. pipes and steel, weighed in @ 100 lb =
$20.00, a 75 - 100 lb piece of R/R tie for banging on $5.00.

I just picked up a pallet of ties for $6.99 each and am fitting the
truck with a crane so I can drag the sumbitches around the yard when
I start playing this Spring. Well pipe is thickwalled stuff, isn't
it? $20 is a great price for 1+ projects' worth of "stuff."

I like scrap yards, there are a lot of things I could modify to work
for
something else... Better that buying new if you are using it just for
your
own use...

The White City yard (half an hour's drive away) must have 50x the
"stuff" this little yard has, so I might take a wander over there next
time I'm shopping for cheap steel. Aluminum is going for $1.95/lb.
here. Is that about standard, about twice what they're paying?

The old saying is "One mans junk is another mans treasure"

That's true, and I try to get top dollar for my junk while paying mere
pennies on the dollar for theirs. There's a $5 word for that but
I can't think of it right at the moment. I just got up. yawn

When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright