Tom Miller

Default Phase convertors?

I hear a lot about phase converters on this news group. Is this because 3
phase power is not readily available in North America? I was born in Canada
and I think I recall that electric stoves ran on 2 phase power. Is this
correct,or has my old age overcome my memory? Here in Australia, 3 phase
power is available pretty well everywhere if you are willing to pay for it
to be installed.( Even in domestic locations). Is this not the case over
there?

Tom

Richard Ferguson

In the USA, three phase power is more or less limited to industrial
zones, and perhaps center cities. In residential areas, they generally
run only two wires on the power poles, so 3 phase is not even available
near most houses. The Standard house wiring is single phase 110/200V,
so three wires. Perhaps that it what you are thinking of in Canada,
using three wires, but really it is single phase 220VAC, with a center
tap on the transformer to get 110VAC. (Easy to measure, just check the
voltages between the wires, two are 110 and the third is 220, so a
voltmeter will tell you you have single phase). Most home appliances
run on 110VAC, with electric ovens, driers, etc, using 220VAC power.

Since most industrial machines are 3 phase, most home shops need to buy
or make some kind of converter.

Richard

Tom Miller wrote:
I hear a lot about phase converters on this news group. Is this because 3
phase power is not readily available in North America? I was born in Canada
and I think I recall that electric stoves ran on 2 phase power. Is this
correct,or has my old age overcome my memory? Here in Australia, 3 phase
power is available pretty well everywhere if you are willing to pay for it
to be installed.( Even in domestic locations). Is this not the case over
there?

Tom

Robert Swinney

Pretty much the same case in N. America. Generation and distribution is
3-phase. "Home" power is generally single-phase. Three-phase may / may not
be available to the average residence. In most, if not all cases, there is
a high price associated with 3-phase brought to the home or small business.

Bob Swinney

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
I hear a lot about phase converters on this news group. Is this because 3
phase power is not readily available in North America? I was born in
Canada
and I think I recall that electric stoves ran on 2 phase power. Is this
correct,or has my old age overcome my memory? Here in Australia, 3 phase
power is available pretty well everywhere if you are willing to pay for it
to be installed.( Even in domestic locations). Is this not the case over
there?

Tom

Eric R Snow

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:42:30 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Pretty much the same case in N. America. Generation and distribution is
3-phase. "Home" power is generally single-phase. Three-phase may / may not
be available to the average residence. In most, if not all cases, there is
a high price associated with 3-phase brought to the home or small business.

Bob Swinney

You're right on that one Bob! I have 3 phase poles about 1000 feet
from my shop. 6 or 7 years ago I asked the utility how much it would
cost to bring the 3 phase to the shop. After giving them the pole
numbers from the 3 phase pole to the pole at the shop I was given a
preliminary estimate of $15,000.00 for just the wire! At least two
poles would also need to be replaced, they said, because they were not
tall enough. The three phase wires are run above the single phase one
and the neutral below. And after paying for the wire and poles, plus
installation, I would not own them. I use a nice phase converter.
ERS

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
I hear a lot about phase converters on this news group. Is this because 3
phase power is not readily available in North America? I was born in
Canada
and I think I recall that electric stoves ran on 2 phase power. Is this
correct,or has my old age overcome my memory? Here in Australia, 3 phase
power is available pretty well everywhere if you are willing to pay for it
to be installed.( Even in domestic locations). Is this not the case over
there?

Tom

Re. Rotary phase converters - magic or myths Robert Swinney Metalworking 141 September 19th 04 08:07 AM
Different RPM Loads on Rotary Phase Converters Artemia Salina Metalworking 4 September 5th 04 09:37 PM
Testing 3 phase motors Pal Metalworking 1 July 11th 04 11:50 PM
3 phase electrics jacob UK diy 10 May 18th 04 04:46 PM
General stuff on phase converters Bob Swinney Metalworking 2 November 25th 03 07:51 PM