Robert Swinney

Pretty much the same case in N. America. Generation and distribution is
3-phase. "Home" power is generally single-phase. Three-phase may / may not
be available to the average residence. In most, if not all cases, there is
a high price associated with 3-phase brought to the home or small business.

Bob Swinney

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
I hear a lot about phase converters on this news group. Is this because 3
phase power is not readily available in North America? I was born in
Canada
and I think I recall that electric stoves ran on 2 phase power. Is this
correct,or has my old age overcome my memory? Here in Australia, 3 phase
power is available pretty well everywhere if you are willing to pay for it
to be installed.( Even in domestic locations). Is this not the case over
there?

Tom