Eric R Snow

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:42:30 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Pretty much the same case in N. America. Generation and distribution is
3-phase. "Home" power is generally single-phase. Three-phase may / may not
be available to the average residence. In most, if not all cases, there is
a high price associated with 3-phase brought to the home or small business.

Bob Swinney

You're right on that one Bob! I have 3 phase poles about 1000 feet
from my shop. 6 or 7 years ago I asked the utility how much it would
cost to bring the 3 phase to the shop. After giving them the pole
numbers from the 3 phase pole to the pole at the shop I was given a
preliminary estimate of $15,000.00 for just the wire! At least two
poles would also need to be replaced, they said, because they were not
tall enough. The three phase wires are run above the single phase one
and the neutral below. And after paying for the wire and poles, plus
installation, I would not own them. I use a nice phase converter.
ERS

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
I hear a lot about phase converters on this news group. Is this because 3
phase power is not readily available in North America? I was born in
Canada
and I think I recall that electric stoves ran on 2 phase power. Is this
correct,or has my old age overcome my memory? Here in Australia, 3 phase
power is available pretty well everywhere if you are willing to pay for it
to be installed.( Even in domestic locations). Is this not the case over
there?

Tom