Joe

Default Lock Picking - ON TOPIC...

Friend lost his keys to a Craftsman toolbox... Rather, lost one set and has
the other in the top drawer of said toolbox...

Decided to help him build a lock pick set tonight... So I sent him this
link that I thought some of you might find interesting:

http://www.lockpickshop.com/Lockpick...k-picking1.htm

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/3n8gj

Know a good travel agent? I need one. Really.

Jeff Wisnia

Joe wrote:
Friend lost his keys to a Craftsman toolbox... Rather, lost one set and has
the other in the top drawer of said toolbox...

Decided to help him build a lock pick set tonight... So I sent him this
link that I thought some of you might find interesting:

http://www.lockpickshop.com/Lockpick...k-picking1.htm

To give credit where it's due, that document is my alma mater's "MIT
Guide to Lockpicking".

When I was a student there in the 50s there wasn't a cylinder lock on
campus safe from us.

I remember showing off to a visiting friend staying at the Buckminster
Hotel in Boston* how to make a master key for the place by filling up
the cuts on a room key with one at a time with soft solder and then
filing that cut down until the key worked again. When done, you'd
"found" the master key.

Comments from the MIT Hacking community regarding current distribution
of "The Guide" and a bit about "Hacker Ethics" are at:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/mit-guide/lame.html

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff (Signing off to run over to the NEMES show in Waltham.)

* ("F--k at the Buck" was the word back then.)
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
carl mciver

"Joe" wrote in message
| Friend lost his keys to a Craftsman toolbox... Rather, lost one set and
has
| the other in the top drawer of said toolbox...
|
| Decided to help him build a lock pick set tonight... So I sent him this
| link that I thought some of you might find interesting:

Now that you've built a lock pick set, you'll learn that a Craftsman box
is the easiest lock there is to pick. I've picked my coworker's Craftsman
boxes almost routinely with a cut off allen wrench and a small flat bladed
screwdriver, or whatever comes to hand easily. These things are so sloppy
it amazes me. Token security. Don't ever need my real pick set.

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:39:46 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joe wrote:
Friend lost his keys to a Craftsman toolbox... Rather, lost one set and has
the other in the top drawer of said toolbox...

Decided to help him build a lock pick set tonight... So I sent him this
link that I thought some of you might find interesting:

http://www.lockpickshop.com/Lockpick...k-picking1.htm

To give credit where it's due, that document is my alma mater's "MIT
Guide to Lockpicking".

Apparently, MIT no longer wants it's name attached to the guide.

When I was a student there in the 50s there wasn't a cylinder lock on
campus safe from us.

I've scored a number of free beers by opening locks for co-workers.
Steve Smith

Dave Hinz wrote:

I've scored a number of free beers by opening locks for co-workers.

One summer job at a tiny company the bosses were out of town with the
keys to the rack the assemblers had to get into. It wasn't hard to open.
I overheard a comment "he didn't learn that in college"...but I did.

Steve

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Steve Smith
wrote back on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:59:37 -0500 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

Dave Hinz wrote:

I've scored a number of free beers by opening locks for co-workers.

One summer job at a tiny company the bosses were out of town with the
keys to the rack the assemblers had to get into. It wasn't hard to open.
I overheard a comment "he didn't learn that in college"...but I did.

Friend of mine went to CalTech. The attitude there was "due by 5 pm,
means 5 p.m., and doesn't matter if the building was locked up at 4:30."

Think of it as an exercise in applied engineering and problem solving

Steve

--
pyotr filipivich.
steamer

--For a good time get hold of a copy of the "Safecracker Suite";
audio tapes of Richard Feynman talking about this and also getting a
little into the 'social engineering' aspects of security breaching. Gets
into the Tuva hack too, IIRC..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I want to return to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the time before time...