JB

Default WTB Bridgeport Mill

Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where I
may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any other
comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a mill. I
have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could transport a
ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into account.

Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Joe...

JB

I wish I had the time Tom :-). Six kids leaves little time or money for
anything else. My wife will want to kill me when she finds out that I'm
looking for a larger mill :-). Oh well, we only live once!!

Thanks.

Joe..

om...

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where
I may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any
other comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a
mill. I have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could
transport a ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into
account.

Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Joe...

R. O'Brian

If you decide to go for like new, see
http://www.precisionservicesinc.com/default.htm

You can buy a rebuilt machine from them. I did in 1995 and have been very
happy with it.

Randy

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where

may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any

other
comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a mill.

have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could transport a
ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into account.

Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Joe...

yourname

Those guys at Machinery Values seem to define the top of the market, so
you could visit them and find out what not to pay.

I have always had good luck with small private machine dealers, we have
the "Want AD" in mass, must be a similar thing in NJ. Usually takes a
little time to find just the right machine

Vari speed and chrome up the price, as does a 12 inch vs 9 inch knee.

Personally for a home shop I would get a step pulley[much quieter] in
the smallest size you think you need, because they feel nicer[less
weight moving around] and fit places better. If the iron[not the paint]
is very pretty, don't worry about chrome, you will never wear it out.

I have a Lagun at work, feels like crap but dials to the number. Also
put lots of hours on SHarp mills, very few problems.

If you can find a reasonable rigger, it takes a lot of stress out of
your life.

JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where I
may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any other
comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a mill. I
have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could transport a
ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into account.

Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Joe...

Grant Erwin

I suggest you plan on either buying a machine with a DRO or installing one
after you get the machine. That lets you quit worrying about the precision
or absolute accuracy of the dials and leadscrews, and just worry about the
spindle and the ways, etc. I also wanted a Bridgeport brand mill (and got one)
but I'd take any decent industrial knee mill if I had it to do over again.
Be aware that if you buy a naked machine (no vise, no collets, no end
mill holders, no parallels, no hold-downs, no boring head, no cutters ..) you
may spend quite a bit to get it tooled all the way up, so it's always better
to buy it from a private party who bought it new and is willing to "throw in"
a lot of extras.

There has been much written about moving milling machines. Google Tells All.

GWE

JB wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where I
may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any other
comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a mill. I
have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could transport a
ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into account.

JB

Thank you Grant. I can see that this is a daunting task. Freeing up cash
is always a problem. I too always wanted a Bridgeport hence my inquiries.
My clausing has served me well but it is a bare machine with no DRO and only
a set of collets.

I'm 45 years old, I hope to one day have a full sized Knee Mill preferably a
Bridgeport :-).

Thanks for the input.

Joe...

JB wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where
I may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any
other comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a
mill. I have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could
transport a ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into
account.

axolotl

JB wrote:

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

The only used machinery dealer in the area that I know of is DJS
Machinery in Howell, 732-840-2024. Mr Sobel still has his shop in
Closter, but that is in north north Jersey (two hours up and two hours
back @ $75 an hour for a rigger). Dave Ficken is two and a half hours
away near Reading, PA. There is another dealer(with a name I can't
remember) in Pitman. On the bright side, I can imagine someone giving a
straight trade on the mills, as the little Clausing is in great demand.
I moved my Hardinge TM in a Dakota. That's about as large a machine I
would haul in that vehicle for any distance.
This advice is worth what it costs you. There are mills out there better
and cheaper than a Bridgeport. A used mill should be a target of
opportunity. If you find an accurate, well tooled mill, don't pass it by
just because it doesn't say "Bridgeport".

Kevin Gallimore

Waynemak

You would do well selling your current mill. Here in CT I see the
Bridgeports going for about $2500 in good shape with options, even some with
DRO.
6 kids??? how the hell do you have time to use your machines, I have 2 kids
and its hard to find much time. My wife gives me crap about the tools I
bring home too, but I have done some real nice custom work around the house.
My son has some real cool toys that the other kids on the bus can't buy at
walmart. I picked up a Millport with DRO, Kurt vise, Full set of collets,
right angle head (I have no use for the right angle head but it was with it)
and a few other extras. The price was far less than the Bridgeports in the
area. My dad has a mint Bridgeport and it is no different to run than my
millport. here iis a link
www.motherearthrecycling.net/shop/shop.htm

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where
I may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any
other comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a
mill. I have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could transport
a ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into account.

Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Joe...

JB

Kevin,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Do you have a number for Sobel? I
have always wanted to stop by his shop to look around. I spoke to him on
the phone years ago when I was looking for a part for my 14" Walker Turner
Bandsaw. He was very friendly and quite helpful, I can't find his number
anywhere. I bought my SB Heavy 10 from Dave Ficken. According to his web
site he is taking a break from the machinery business so he can go out and
find work to pay the bills and feed the family. Dave is a good guy and I
was and still am quite happy with my SB Lathe. I also bought my Clausing
variable speed drill press from him.

What other mills would you recommend?

Thanks again for the help.

Joe...
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

"axolotl" wrote in message
JB wrote:

[...]

JB

Waynemak,

Thanks for the input. Yes, not much time for myself after running around
with the kids, not much money either :-). I am getting lots of advice about
not being fixated on a Bridgeport. I want a good mill that is a bit heavier
than my clausing 8520 and I don't want to buy junk or some unknown brand
that uses non standard tooling. gain, I appreciate your help, it certainly
has enlightened me. Your mill looks nice. Is it American made?

Regards.

Joe...

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where
I may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any
other comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a
mill. I have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could
transport a ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into
account.

Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Joe...

Waynemak

My mill is a Bridgeport clone, that being said it is not junk. Some of the
imports are better than others. Most of the parts on mine are
interchangeable with the BP. I do think the BP is a nice sized machine, it
is not to bad to move, parts are out there and its built good. Its best to
buy a machine with R-8 collets that will most likely save you money in the
end. Good luck on your purchase."JB" wrote in
message ...

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking
machines but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places
where I may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also
appreciate any other comments or advise including what I should check
for when looking a mill. I have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not
sure I could transport a ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be
taken into account.

Thanks to all in advance for the help.

Joe...

axolotl

JB wrote:
Do you have a number for Sobel?

201-768-9645

I bought my SB Heavy 10 from Dave Ficken. According to his web
site he is taking a break from the machinery business

I see his posts to the other BBs, and see his Ebay auctions. He seems to
be doing a little business between trips. His phone was 610-656-0449. I
bought my Hardinge from him- I agree, he's a good guy.

What other mills would you recommend?

It's fantasy time. Abene. Deckel. Van Norman. a big K&T like Bob
Powell's. Something that can chew up a slab of steel and look bored.
There are too many Bridgeport-like mills to list. Clausing-Kondia.
Index. Induma. A lot depends on what you have in mind for it. Is it time
to look at CNC?

Kevin Gallimore