JB

Thank you Grant. I can see that this is a daunting task. Freeing up cash
is always a problem. I too always wanted a Bridgeport hence my inquiries.
My clausing has served me well but it is a bare machine with no DRO and only
a set of collets.

I'm 45 years old, I hope to one day have a full sized Knee Mill preferably a
Bridgeport :-).

Thanks for the input.

Joe...
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I suggest you plan on either buying a machine with a DRO or installing one
after you get the machine. That lets you quit worrying about the precision
or absolute accuracy of the dials and leadscrews, and just worry about the
spindle and the ways, etc. I also wanted a Bridgeport brand mill (and got
one)
but I'd take any decent industrial knee mill if I had it to do over again.
Be aware that if you buy a naked machine (no vise, no collets, no end
mill holders, no parallels, no hold-downs, no boring head, no cutters ..)
you may spend quite a bit to get it tooled all the way up, so it's always
better
to buy it from a private party who bought it new and is willing to "throw
in"
a lot of extras.

There has been much written about moving milling machines. Google Tells
All.

GWE

JB wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am strictly a hobbyist who has always loved tools and machinery. I
currently have a SB Heavy 10, Clausing Variable Speed Drill press and a
Clausing 8520 Milling Machine. I also have a ton of woodworking machines
but we'll discuss that at a later date :-).

I am interested in sellin the Clausing Mill and getting a Bridgeport. I
live in Middletown, NJ.

I figure the collective wisdom of this group can guide me to places where
I may find a Bridgeport for a decent price. I would also appreciate any
other comments or advise including what I should check for when looking a
mill. I have a 6 cylinder dodge Dakota but I'm not sure I could
transport a ridgeport with it, so shipping costs must be taken into
account.