Wayne Cook

Default Updated my homepage

I finally got around to doing a small update of my home page showing
some of my new stuff and a current project.

It's got shots of my new welder with it's new wire feed cart setup,
my new stove, the new location of the Pratt and Whitney lathe, and a
shot of the Gardener Denver compressor I'm currently bring back into
working order.

Feel free to have a look.

Thanks.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
JR North

Nice stuff Wayne, but is it REALLY neccesary to post several 1.5MB pics
on each page of your web site? Some of us are still on dial-up ya know....
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Wayne Cook wrote:
I finally got around to doing a small update of my home page showing
some of my new stuff and a current project.

It's got shots of my new welder with it's new wire feed cart setup,
my new stove, the new location of the Pratt and Whitney lathe, and a
shot of the Gardener Denver compressor I'm currently bring back into
working order.

Feel free to have a look.

Thanks.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Gerald Miller

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:22:52 -0600, Wayne Cook
wrote:

I finally got around to doing a small update of my home page showing
some of my new stuff and a current project.

It's got shots of my new welder with it's new wire feed cart setup,
my new stove, the new location of the Pratt and Whitney lathe, and a
shot of the Gardener Denver compressor I'm currently bring back into
working order.

A slight bit larger at 12" x 7" than my Gardner Denver at 2" x 2 1/2".
Of course, my 1/2 HP motor probably wouldn't even turn it with the
unloader open.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
xmRadio

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message

I finally got around to doing a small update of my home page showing
some of my new stuff and a current project.

It's got shots of my new welder with it's new wire feed cart setup,
my new stove, the new location of the Pratt and Whitney lathe, and a
shot of the Gardener Denver compressor I'm currently bring back into
working order.

Feel free to have a look.

Thanks.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Enjoy your site....keep up the good work.

xman

Wayne Cook

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:52:11 -0800, JR North
wrote:

Nice stuff Wayne, but is it REALLY neccesary to post several 1.5MB pics
on each page of your web site? Some of us are still on dial-up ya know....
JR

Sorry. I try to keep a balance of picture size and clarity but it's
hard to do. I remember the dial up days myself though it has been a
year since I've been on it.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Wayne Cook

wrote:

I finally got around to doing a small update of my home page showing
some of my new stuff and a current project.

It's got shots of my new welder with it's new wire feed cart setup,
my new stove, the new location of the Pratt and Whitney lathe, and a
shot of the Gardener Denver compressor I'm currently bring back into
working order.

A slight bit larger at 12" x 7" than my Gardner Denver at 2" x 2 1/2".
Of course, my 1/2 HP motor probably wouldn't even turn it with the
unloader open.

LOL. Yes it's a bit larger than mine as well. If you'll look
elsewhere on my site you'll see pics of mine with 6"x4" first stage if
I remember correctly. :-)

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Clark Magnuson

Interesting pictures.
Is that a dirt floor?
How do you clean up the metal chips?

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.

Ron Thompson

I like to use reduced size pictures on the page with a link to a
larger version for those interested. Like this:
http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/shop.htm

wrote:

Nice stuff Wayne, but is it REALLY neccesary to post several 1.5MB pics
on each page of your web site? Some of us are still on dial-up ya know....
JR

Sorry. I try to keep a balance of picture size and clarity but it's
hard to do. I remember the dial up days myself though it has been a
year since I've been on it.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is
to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
Wayne Cook

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:22:32 GMT, Ron Thompson
wrote:

I like to use reduced size pictures on the page with a link to a
larger version for those interested. Like this:
http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/shop.htm

That's what I wanted to do at the outset. Unfortunately it never
seems that I have the time to set it up. I barely manage to make any
updates as it is. The only reason I managed a update this weekend was
because I was sick and didn't have enough energy to get out in the
shop and work on the backlog.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Wayne Cook

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 05:26:44 -0800, Clark Magnuson
wrote:

Interesting pictures.
Is that a dirt floor?
How do you clean up the metal chips?

Yes there's still a good bit of dirt floor left in my shop. It's
down to a pretty small percentage now actually. Over half of it has
either been full concreted or has at least had some portland added to
the dirt to harden it up some. That's why there's a sack of portland
behind the mill next to the stove. I've been going to add it to the
dirt there but I've not had a chance yet.

As for the chips well with a dirt floor you don't worry as much
about them. But most of them get picked up with a magnet pickup tool I
built a long time ago. It's a pair of magnets out of a old 5 1/4" full
height hard drive inside a old aluminum camping pot with handle and
release mechanism. Works pretty well though it would be nice if it was
bigger sometimes.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Robert Swinney

Wayne,

Many thanks for the great trip through your shop! It is always enjoyable to
see pictures of a "real" shop. I esp. enjoyed seeing the crafty clamp-down
techniques you used on the Abene mill; good examples of extending the
usefulness and working range of machines. The large pix files from the old
Spang catalog were terrific! That is the first time I ever saw any detailed
descriptions of cable-tool drill bits. I have seen some old books on
cable-tool drilling but none of them ever showed any detail of the actual
bits. Interestingly, it seemed that cable tool drilling rigs had no
circulating "mud" to remove cuttings. Is this correct?

Bob Swinney
"Wayne Cook" wrote in message

I finally got around to doing a small update of my home page showing
some of my new stuff and a current project.

It's got shots of my new welder with it's new wire feed cart setup,
my new stove, the new location of the Pratt and Whitney lathe, and a
shot of the Gardener Denver compressor I'm currently bring back into
working order.

Feel free to have a look.

Thanks.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Andy Asberry

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:10:21 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Wayne,

Many thanks for the great trip through your shop! It is always enjoyable to
see pictures of a "real" shop. I esp. enjoyed seeing the crafty clamp-down
techniques you used on the Abene mill; good examples of extending the
usefulness and working range of machines. The large pix files from the old
Spang catalog were terrific! That is the first time I ever saw any detailed
descriptions of cable-tool drill bits. I have seen some old books on
cable-tool drilling but none of them ever showed any detail of the actual
bits. Interestingly, it seemed that cable tool drilling rigs had no
circulating "mud" to remove cuttings. Is this correct?

Bob Swinney

No need me wasting words. This page describes it better.
http://www.oilhistory.com/pages/String/bailer.html

Wayne Cook

wrote:

Wayne,

Many thanks for the great trip through your shop! It is always enjoyable to
see pictures of a "real" shop. I esp. enjoyed seeing the crafty clamp-down
techniques you used on the Abene mill; good examples of extending the
usefulness and working range of machines. The large pix files from the old
Spang catalog were terrific! That is the first time I ever saw any detailed
descriptions of cable-tool drill bits. I have seen some old books on
cable-tool drilling but none of them ever showed any detail of the actual
bits. Interestingly, it seemed that cable tool drilling rigs had no
circulating "mud" to remove cuttings. Is this correct?

Bob Swinney

No need me wasting words. This page describes it better.
http://www.oilhistory.com/pages/String/bailer.html

Pretty good description except the part about a sand pump. At least
in this area every body calls the flapper style or California bailer
style valve as is shown in the last pic on my site a sand pump and the
other style are bailers. The thing about a sand pump is that you can
put it in the hole and pump it with the drill line so that it'll pull
sand up from the bottom of the hole into the fluid.

The dart style is preferred for most bailing when drilling since
it's easier to empty. The hole in the end of the dart is so they can
bolt a piece of metal on to set the depth that the valve is pushed
open on. I've made and repaired several of both style bottoms.

Cable tool rigs are still popular around here for reworking old
wells. There's a lot of old wells in this area which where drilled
with cable tool rigs back in the 20's and many of them are in bad
shape. They use the cable tool rigs to drill out salt bridges, deepen
holes, and generally clean them out.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Mike

I've made "sand pumps" All I did was place a large steel ball in the pipe
and welded a washer to the end where the ball can seat. A small rod is
welded across the pipe to limit ball travel. To use the sand pump you just
jog it up and down in the well pipe. The sand pump fills with sand and you
pull it up and pour it out. If your digging a well and you hit sand there
will be water there in most cases.