Bob Engelhardt

Default Mcmaster-Carr #111 catalogs on ebay already!

Doug Warner wrote:
(They've gone for as much as $76.00 in completed auctions)

YOW! So, you people who are lucky enough to have them sent to you, ask
yourself: "Do I want this catalog enough to give up the $75 I could get
for it on eBay"? The catalog or $75, you have the choice.

Bob
yourname

catalog

not even a close one

what am I bid for my 110?

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Doug Warner wrote:

(They've gone for as much as $76.00 in completed auctions)

YOW! So, you people who are lucky enough to have them sent to you, ask
yourself: "Do I want this catalog enough to give up the $75 I could get
for it on eBay"? The catalog or $75, you have the choice.

Bob

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:02:23 -0500, the inscrutable Doug Warner
spake:

They send catalogs to "preferred customers" who have no need for them,
while the only way everyone else can get them is to buy from these
scalpers...
(They've gone for as much as $76.00 in completed auctions)

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

I got my older copy (104) from a nice gent here on RCM for $2.31,
the exact cost of Media Mail shipping. Ask around.

I think it's McMC's way of extending their mystique. So far, it
seems to be working.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications
==========================

Dan Murphy

Doug Warner wrote in
:

snip

They send catalogs to "preferred customers" who have no need for them,
while the only way everyone else can get them is to buy from these
scalpers...
(They've gone for as much as $76.00 in completed auctions)

Yikes, I had no idea. They just send them to us. I've got hundreds of
catalogs from various companies. Do people buy others? Or is this a
McMaster Carr thing? What do people pay for the previous years catalog?

Dan
yourname

if you spend enough money they send it to you, takes a while. I remember
getting a little msity when my first one arrived.....

look, the new mcmaster carr catalog is here, I'm SOMEBODY!!!

Dan Murphy wrote:
Doug Warner wrote in
:

snip

They send catalogs to "preferred customers" who have no need for them,
while the only way everyone else can get them is to buy from these
scalpers...
(They've gone for as much as $76.00 in completed auctions)

Yikes, I had no idea. They just send them to us. I've got hundreds of
catalogs from various companies. Do people buy others? Or is this a
McMaster Carr thing? What do people pay for the previous years catalog?

Dan

diaphone

McMaster-Carr is fine to deal with if you just order from their site
and like what you get. If you need to call or email them for something
special, god help you because they've got some of the rudest customer
service people I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I don't
know what the deal is with the catalog snobbery. If it were so
expensive to print, they would just sell them. Making them hard to get
and letting ebayers profit off them is NOT helping their business. The
fewer people that have your catalog, the fewer orders you get--that is
a basic business fact. The notion of mystique getting them extra
business is fantasy.

MSC automatically sends me their newest catalog every year, and they
automatically get my respect and business whenever I have the choice.
That is fact.

Mike Henry

That's not been my experience, at least with the folks in the Chicago
operation. They were responsive to special ordering a $15 item for me a
while back and responded (at 2:00 am!) to an email complaint for an item
which was lost in shipping. They replaced the missing item on the following
Tuesday with no hassles at all.

Mike

"diaphone" wrote in message
oups.com...

McMaster-Carr is fine to deal with if you just order from their site
and like what you get. If you need to call or email them for something
special, god help you because they've got some of the rudest customer
service people I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I don't
know what the deal is with the catalog snobbery. If it were so
expensive to print, they would just sell them. Making them hard to get
and letting ebayers profit off them is NOT helping their business. The
fewer people that have your catalog, the fewer orders you get--that is
a basic business fact. The notion of mystique getting them extra
business is fantasy.

MSC automatically sends me their newest catalog every year, and they
automatically get my respect and business whenever I have the choice.
That is fact.

diaphone

Because of where I am, I'm dealing primarily with the NJ branch. I
recently purchased a pop-off valve that arrived damaged. They sent me
out a replacement right away, but charged my account twice for it. They
seems to think they shipped two replacements by mistake also, and keep
sending me past-due invoices for the 2nd phantom valve. It's 3 months
now and they have still not credited my account for the return either.

I also had a recent problem with a custom order too. I read in their
online catalog that they will make custom springs. It took me hours to
draft my spring in CAD and I sent it to them. Two days later I get back
an email from their LA branch that says "No bid." That's the complete
reply. I replied to this asking them to elaborate and explain what the
problem is. The reply I get: "We decline to offer on this spring".
Huh?? I sent them a very simple and not-at-all-unusual closed and
ground compression spring design from a standard size music wire. I
emailed again asking what it was about my drawing that made them
decline. No reply. In the end, I placed my order with Century Spring. I
will not be bothering with McMaster again for anything that's not in
their catalog.

I have one more complaint too--they don't put manufacturers names or
model numbers in their catalog. I wanted to get an exact replacement
part once, and I had to have my inquiry forwarded to 3 people before I
got them to cough up the manufacturer model # for a part in their
catalog. Why this basic (and often critical) information is not in the
catalog or available to the phone sales people is beyond me.

CharlieBiler

Yowza.. I give my old McMaster catalogs away. I once asked for their
catalog on CD-ROM. The Cleveland branch shot one out the next day. Why
pay for something they give away on the internet?

Some people have all the luck.....or something. The only time I tried
to sell anything on Ebay, a bunch of new parallel machine files, I
could not get a nibble for ten bucks. Maybe if I asked for seventy-five
someone would have bid.

yourname

I've had no problems with their customer service in the last 10 years.
Accounting got mad cuse I didn't use a credit.

MSC's accounting dept can be dicks though

diaphone wrote:
[...]

Grunty

On 4 Feb 2005 21:33:30 -0800, "diaphone" wrote:

I have one more complaint too--they don't put manufacturers names or
model numbers in their catalog.

Yeah I just went through that with a Lee Spring that I had bought from
them. Tried searching by Mfr. part #, no hits. I had to go through
allmy records to find the item.P
Probably do not like to name their sources because on some items,they
are really like a boutique. $$$$

ebay sucks big time PoP UK diy 28 July 31st 04 01:26 PM
Furniture design vintage carpentry [email protected] UK diy 2 June 1st 04 11:35 PM
WARNING ! New ebay email scam ! Or should I say newest version of an old one Puff Griffis Woodturning 0 February 8th 04 02:22 AM
WARNING - PHONEY EBAY E-MAIL T. Woodworking 19 January 3rd 04 06:35 PM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 01:16 PM