Fred R

You might start at Goodyear's technical help site
http://www.goodyearindustrialproduct...p.pl?group=oem

--
Fred R
________________
Richard Ferguson

This URL looks like a good place to start, an engineering view of crown.

http://www.visusa.com/belt_tracking01.htm

I found it with a google search of "pulley crown", the 5th hit, so not
hard to find.

Richard

SBAER wrote:

I am an engineer, I do machine design on a contract basis mostly
automation equipment. I have to design a flat belt conveyor (something
the customer normally just purchases) about 10" wide and 24" long.
My question concerns the crown on the pulleys. Does the tail pulley
have to be crowned as well as the head pulley? I prefer to approximate
the crown by turning a slight angle on each end of the pulley so that
the machining can be done on a simple lathe. Does anybody have a
suggestion as to the angle and length of this chamfer?
My four year engineering education did not cover this (or anything else
that might be of use to a automation designer) and none of my handbooks
have do either.

Any help would be appreciated.

stan

Gunner

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:18:21 -0600, SBAER
wrote:

I am an engineer, I do machine design on a contract basis mostly
automation equipment. I have to design a flat belt conveyor (something
the customer normally just purchases) about 10" wide and 24" long.
My question concerns the crown on the pulleys. Does the tail pulley
have to be crowned as well as the head pulley? I prefer to approximate
the crown by turning a slight angle on each end of the pulley so that
the machining can be done on a simple lathe. Does anybody have a
suggestion as to the angle and length of this chamfer?
My four year engineering education did not cover this (or anything else
that might be of use to a automation designer) and none of my handbooks
have do either.

Any help would be appreciated.

stan

Stan, where are you located? Ive got a ****load of stuff for conveyor
systems that I need someone to haul off.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
Tom Miller

"SBAER" wrote in message

My question concerns the crown on the pulleys. Does the tail pulley
have to be crowned as well as the head pulley?

sure does

I prefer to approximate
the crown by turning a slight angle on each end of the pulley so that
the machining can be done on a simple lathe. Does anybody have a
suggestion as to the angle and length of this chamfer?

I usually used 1/2 a degree. You get better results though with a tracking
strip welded onto the centre of the belt and a groove in the pulleys. Try
the belt supplier for details.
Tom

SBAER

wrote:

[...]

I'm near Toronto, not a quick drive down the road I'm afraid.

stan
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Sigh...nope...not a quick one.

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunner

This message does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either
myself, my company, my friends, or my cat; Don't quote me on that;
Don't quote me on anything; All rights reserved; You may distribute
this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; Terms are
subject to change without notice; Illustrations are slightly enlarged
to show detail; Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is
unintentional and purely coincidental; Do not remove this disclaimer
under penalty of law; Hand wash only, Tumble dry on low heat; Do not
bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; Your mileage may vary; No
substitutions allowed; Offer good for a limited time only; This
message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted;
Caveat emptor; Message is provided "as is" without any warranties;
Reader assumes full responsibility; An equal opportunity message; No
shoes, no shirt, no message; Quantities are limited while supplies
last; If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them
yourself, but return to an authorized service center; Read at your own
risk; Parental advisory - explicit lyrics; Text may contain explicit
materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is
advised; Keep away from sunlight; Keep away from pets and small
children; Limit one-per-family please; No money down; No purchase
necessary; You need not be present to win; Some assembly required;
Batteries not included; Instructions are included; Action figures
sold separately; No preservatives added; Slippery when wet; Safety
goggles may be required during use; Sealed for your protection, Do not
read if safety seal is broken; Call before you dig; Not liable for
damages arising from use or misuse; For external use only; If rash,
irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading; Read
only with proper ventilation; Avoid extreme temperatures and store in
a cool dry place; Keep away from open flames; Avoid contact with eyes
and skin and avoid inhaling fumes; Do not puncture, incinerate, or
store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit; Do not place near a flammable or
magnetic source; Smoking this message could be hazardous to your
health; Reading is addictive; No salt, MSG, artificial color or
flavoring added; If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms
persist, consult a physician; May cause drowsiness, alcohol may
intensify this effect; Read with food; Use caution when operating
a car or dangerous machinery; Possible penalties for early withdrawal;
Offer valid only at participating sites; Slightly higher west of the
Rockies; Allow four to six weeks for delivery; Must be 18 to read;
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear; Use of this message is
governed by the terms and conditions of the Bank and Messageholder
Agreement received by the Messageholder. Message remains the property
of the Bank and must be returned on request. Disclaimer does not cover
misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic
eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect,
damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or
unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or
altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts,
sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in
this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or
taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item,
falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or
projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets,
shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of
X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.); Other
restrictions may apply; Contest ends 12-31-2001.To prevent damage, feel the film continuously during the showing. Do not
rewind after the last showing. Return all filmparts around their proper reels,
thank you.
Koz

Anthony wrote:

SBAER wrote in news:h8ydnQ2GgYKOzWXcRVn-
:

I am an engineer, I do machine design on a contract basis mostly
automation equipment. I have to design a flat belt conveyor (something
the customer normally just purchases) about 10" wide and 24" long.
My question concerns the crown on the pulleys. Does the tail pulley
have to be crowned as well as the head pulley? I prefer to approximate
the crown by turning a slight angle on each end of the pulley so that
the machining can be done on a simple lathe. Does anybody have a
suggestion as to the angle and length of this chamfer?
My four year engineering education did not cover this (or anything else
that might be of use to a automation designer) and none of my handbooks
have do either.

Any help would be appreciated.

stan

Cross posted to AMC where Koz may be able to help you out. He may even be
able to get you the exact conveyor you need, without you having to design
it.

Although there are several factors involved, the actual answer to the
amount of crows is"as little as possible". Yea, that doesn't answer the
question at all. Assuming the belt is nearly perfect and mostly
non-elastic, crown would be approximately 1/5 of the belt thickness
relative to the radius of the pulley. In addition to providing some
minimal tracking, a crown is really there because most of the thickness
errors and wavyness in the belt strip material occur in the outer 20% of
each edge. By relieving the pressure against the pulley on these outer
edges (smaller pulley diameter under the outer edges), errors in the
strip at this point have a reduced effect on causing tracking errors.

Regarding doing the crown via a taper, that's called a "narrow bodied
roll". Typically, 60% flat in the center, 20% tapered at each edge by
reducing the radius 1/5 of the belt thickness, with some flat left over
on each end so that if the belt wanders, it doesn't wander off the edge
of the pulley.

Reality is, however, that belting strips tend to be elastic and require
slightly greater crown than the 1/5 of the belt thickness mentioned.
This becomes a subjective matter depending on so many factors that it
can become a guess. It tends to be relative to the belt thickness and
width. Crown should usually never be more than the thickness of the
belt. However, this rule falls into the dumpster for really wide belts.
Same goes out the window the other direction for small diameter
pulleys: crowning the thickness of the belt may make it act weird if
the pulley is a 1" diameter nosebar.

As to crowning the tail pulley, In theory you should. On most conveyors
the only place to provide any tracking adjustment is at the tail and
having a little crown here can improve the system so that it isn't so
"touchy" to adjustment. The goal is to get the belting to come of the
tail heading the right direction (square to the frame) and enter the
head pulley square to the frame. People tend to neglect the return
sides of the belting when designing conveyors (belt goes on a roller
coaster rode) so the tail pully crown tends to be needed to compensate
for errors induced by the return side.

Tracking is NOT accomplished by tensioning the belt. The only tension
on the belt should be enough pressure on the drive pulley so that
Friction factor of the pulley x Pressure overcomes Friction factor x
Pressure of the rest of the conveyor. Anything more than that just
wears things out. To track an unruly belt, Think in terms of RELIEVING
tension. That is, don't tighten one side to get it to track, loosen the
other side. Once it starts appearing to track OK, then start tightening
BOTH sides evenly to make sure there is enough pressure on the drive to
overcome the friction on the rest of the conveyor. When doing this, you
may have to make some slight adjustments in tracking angle of the
pulley...kind of a process of apply a little more tension to both,
adjust tracking via reducing tension on one side...apply a little more
tension to both process.

Even when doing all the right tracking adjustments, they sometimes seem
to have a mind of their own. Assuming that everything is square in 3
dimensions and the belt is good quality, sometimes you just have to
consult the voodoo gods and do whatever works.

Koz

Cliff

Perhaps a bit related ....

When the belt wants to wander no matter what
(happens a bit on some belt snders, as an example)
I found that you can build up a crown with a few turns
of "fiberglass" shipping tape.
It seems to last about forever but may need to be
removed for a new belt.

Might be easier to build up a "crown" (as needed) with something
(a polyurethane based tape might last forever) than to
try to machine it in the first place (& get it right).
--
Cliff

Koz

Cliff wrote:

Perhaps a bit related ....

When the belt wants to wander no matter what
(happens a bit on some belt snders, as an example)
I found that you can build up a crown with a few turns
of "fiberglass" shipping tape.
It seems to last about forever but may need to be
removed for a new belt.

Might be easier to build up a "crown" (as needed) with something
(a polyurethane based tape might last forever) than to
try to machine it in the first place (& get it right).

The end user can probably get away with a stopgap solution like this,
but the fabricator can't. That one in a million chance that some idiot
gets caught in a "tape" that unravelled is too big a risk. All it takes
is for some maintenance guy to reverse a pulley and any tape-like
substance (glued well or not) will unwind over time. There are cases of
glued on urethane sheets that were pre-crowned while flat that have
worked though.

When you can get sued (and lose) because someone else was stupid/
removed guards/ ignored warning label with idiot symbols, etc., it's
best not to vary from industry standards of construction.

Koz

Peter

Try this site http://www.visusa.com/belt_tracking01.htm