Gunner

Default How much slope should I put in a roof?

Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Roger Shoaf

This kind of depends what kind of roofing you are planning to use. The
cheapest way is with tin but that tends to leak over time. The next
cheapest is roll roofing where you need to torch down the seams. Then you
can use comp shingles.

As far as the slope goes, the tin you can get by with a 1:12 pitch The roll
roofing with a torch don edge you can go 2:12 or 3:12 for comp shingles give
yourself at least a 4:12.

I think I would go with the comp and a 4:12 pitch. Be sure to consider wind
load as you have a big sail catching the wind. bolt the sucker down.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"Gunner" wrote in message
news
Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Sunworshipper

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:20:57 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

My shop is 1/4" per foot. I water leveled it and subtracted 3.75" 15'
away. Make it a little more if its not really flat , mine is two
layers of 3/4 plywood.
Jim Stewart

wrote:

Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

My shop is 1/4" per foot. I water leveled it and subtracted 3.75" 15'
away. Make it a little more if its not really flat , mine is two
layers of 3/4 plywood.

Do they give away plywood where you live?
Clark Magnuson

I built a house with 6 in 12 and concrete tiles.
It got slippery when wet, but I already learned when I sipped off the
frozen plywood on the first course.

If I build another, it will be 4 in 12, as I am not as bouncy any more.

Gunner wrote:

Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

--
Be careful what you pray for, it can happen.

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:20:57 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

I've got a lean-to on the back of the house, and it clears water just
fine with a 6" drop over 10 feet.

Dave Hinz

"Standard" roof slopes are 4/12, 8/12 and 12/12. Given you are not
dealing with snow loads, I would think all of these would be excessive
for your application. Maybe 6"? 3-4" is going to be pretty flat. Not
that the extra 2" is going to even be a noticable visual difference.
How much rain are you talking about? 1/2" over 2 hours at a time or
2"/hr. A light rain will be more forgiving of the flat roof, but long,
hard rains will want a steeper roof to facilitate water removal.
Just my thoughts. Worth exactly what you paid for 'em.

JW

Sunworshipper

wrote:

Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

My shop is 1/4" per foot. I water leveled it and subtracted 3.75" 15'
away. Make it a little more if its not really flat , mine is two
layers of 3/4 plywood.

Do they give away plywood where you live?

They did if you knew where to look before 911.
The shop cost about $900. Half of that is just concrete.
If there was a natural disaster I'd rather be in the shop than my
house. Plywood is down right scary now, I bring home some and the
neighbors are like vultures. Matter of fact I took apart 2 garage
doors and chopped the metal up like firewood yesterday and the
neighbor had to come over to see the old rotten 1/2-" plywood.

Had the drill all hooked up and not one screw would come out so I had
to rip the plywood off the screws with a crow bar and two hammers at
the same time. That reminds me, I need to put all that in my truck for
the dump real soon so my kid doesn't get hurt on all that sharp metal.

Oh, the ole beach tent stakes work good. Dig a hole and put in a
horizontal stick and string tied to the middle. Read metal horizontal
and cable buried. That way Gunner's roof will never take off.
Dave Hinz

On 24 Jan 2005 21:13:56 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:20:57 GMT, Gunner wrote:
Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

I've got a lean-to on the back of the house, and it clears water just
fine with a 6" drop over 10 feet.

I should add that this is with steel sheet roofing (the painted stuff
with a raised seam every foot; comes in 4' wide sheets). Pole-barn stuff.
Grant Erwin

I vote for matching the roof angle on your house. Look better. - GWE

Gunner

wrote:

Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

My shop is 1/4" per foot. I water leveled it and subtracted 3.75" 15'
away. Make it a little more if its not really flat , mine is two
layers of 3/4 plywood.

Mine will be 3/8" plywood on 2' centers. I scrounged up 8 sheets of
3/8s, just plumb full of staples. I think I can get some rolled
roofing really cheap.

So far, Ive got $6 in the project. Not counting the electricity to
weld the legs to the support members.

The legs are 3 1/2" oilfield pipe and to the bottom of the beams, is
8', 9"

I wanted 8'...but my buddy cut them a bit long, and I shrugged and
welded them up.

Ill post a picture or 2, later tonight in the drop box

Ive got 4 more shorter beams (10') and another 6 or 8 11' joints of
3.5" tubing if I want to make another awning..which I might do to
cover some Stuff

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Sunworshipper

wrote:

[...]

Bet this is why you wanted a drafting machine... Sorry I learned not
to sell my first.
Sunworshipper

Gunner

Bet this is why you wanted a drafting machine... Sorry I learned not
to sell my first.

I must be one of those that they make laws that has to have a
percentage of the land absorb rain fall or shall we go as far as sun
light...

100% no rain would be cool. How about a funnel roof over the entire
property and then sell it ! LOL
Gary Brady

Depending on your roofing material, minimum slope should be 3 in 12.
This is for shingles and a lot of metal profiles. If you go to a 1 1/2"
tall rib on a metal profile with sealant tape on top of the lapping
ribs, I think you can go down to a 1 1 /2" in 12", but that makes me
nervous. Of course, I've always lived in rainier climates.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Gunner wrote:
Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Actually no..I never drew a sketch. I had it pictured in my tiny
little skull and simply built it the way I pictured it.

Though to be fair..I have had a small bit of experience over the years
building things like houses and office/warehouses.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Gunner

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:01:44 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

NO SLOPE!!! Everyone should have the wonderfull experience of a flat roof,
only better if you were in Ohio.

Chuckle..I made it 4" in 8 feet. Looks pretty good. I simply ran the
2x8 ridge board, then stuck on the plywood. Rain is coming so I did a
quick and nasty. Next weekend Ill put in the rafters from below using
hangers. It may flap like a sail and leak between the sheets during
the week,, but its gotta be better than no roof at all.

Gunner

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Steve Mellenthin

NO SLOPE!!! Everyone should have the wonderfull experience of a flat roof,
only better if you were in Ohio.

Chuckle..I made it 4" in 8 feet. Looks pretty good. I simply ran the
2x8 ridge board, then stuck on the plywood. Rain is coming so I did a
quick and nasty. Next weekend Ill put in the rafters from below using
hangers. It may flap like a sail and leak between the sheets during
the week,, but its gotta be better than no roof at all.

Ijust finished putting up a steel building for my RV. Bought it in kit form.
The factory pitch is 1 in 10.

Steve in Daytom
Fred R

Don't know how much, but make sure it slopes to the right! S-EG
--
Fred R - also in soggy Ohio
________________
Ken Sterling

Im at the point where Im getting ready to put a roof on my "awning" in
the back yard. Its a 16' x 16' freestandinging gizmo that will cover
my welding Stuff, a place to work on vehicles, and so forth. Lots of
similar units around here are flat roofed, but as it appears that we
may be getting some rain for the next couple years, Id like to put a
small slope on it. How much slope should I put in a 8' span, just to
get rid of rain water? 4" 3"?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Depending on your roof covering - shingles should be no less than 2"
in 12" - roll roofing (if well sealed) could be *almost* flat.
Ken.

Pete & sheri

Depends on where you live. Snow starts to melt, run part way down the
roof, then refreezes at the edge. Water builds up behind this "dam" and
runs under the shingles into the building. In Wisconsin, I'd go with
the highest pitch I could afford. Lots of homes were built with 4/12
pitches around here in the 50's and 60's, but they sometimes suffer from
those ice dams. Now many are built with 8/12 or more. 12/12 is nice
if you can afford it and if someone else is going to shingle it. A high
pitch also gives yo overhead storage.

Pete Stanaitis

Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 06:53 PM
Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 02:55 PM