Default Painting an antenna? Bad idea?

I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld painting it
interfere with it's performance?

Jerry Martes

Stryped

If you want to *discuss* the properties of antennas, there is a wonderful
news group named Rec Radio Amatuer Antennas. There are alot of really well
informed antenna guys there.
My advice would be that you build the antenna from EMT and try it. Isnt
thats what HAM is 'all about'??

Jerry (who made his living as an antenna design engineer)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld painting it
interfere with it's performance?

Spencer Webb

No problem. Krylon, Rustoleum.... paint away.

-Spencer
www.antennasys.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld painting it
interfere with it's performance?

Jerry Martes

STRYPED

I just went to the antenna news group to read their 'latest' and see that
you already posted questions there. I feel like I just stepped in a
"pile"when I see that you ask for antenna advice in RCM *after* discussing
it on the ANTENNA group. It becomes obvious to me that you are interested
in discussing rather than actually building an antenna.
There are world class antenna experts available to answer *any* antenna
questions in the Antenna News group. Take their advice.

Jerry

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message

Stryped

If you want to *discuss* the properties of antennas, there is a wonderful
news group named Rec Radio Amatuer Antennas. There are alot of really
well informed antenna guys there.
My advice would be that you build the antenna from EMT and try it. Isnt
thats what HAM is 'all about'??

Jerry (who made his living as an antenna design engineer)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld painting it
interfere with it's performance?

Tom Gardner

Why would conductive paint hurt it? It shouldn't change the wave length.
Assume nothing shorted with the paint.

If it's a fixed antenna like a J-pole then painting it with something
nonconductive would probably help in the long term.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Robert Swinney

Some radio companies, Motorola for one, used to paint their comm. site
antennas, tops of tall buildings mostly, "sky color". This rendered the
antennas less noticeable against the sky as back drop. Of course, the "sky
paint" is non-conductive. AFAIK, the procedure was developed by Motorola's
own premier Engineer, Russ Larson in Dallas. Russ is still there as Antenna
Site Manager, Emeritus of some of Dallas' skyscrapers.

Bob Swinney
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 10 Jan 2005 10:40:37 -0800,
wrote:
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld painting it
interfere with it's performance?

I'd ask in a Ham Radio group. Be prepared for a _very_ long thread
with your answer maybe buried if you're lucky.

Dave "Learned long ago to be careful asking a Ham for antenna advice" Hinz

Robert Swinney

Antennas of the type used on large antenna sites such as building tops and
mountian sites are generally gain arrays, vertically oriented and housed in
a plastic-like radome. They are several feet tall and only a few inches in
diameter. Paint would not be a good idea for obvious reasons on this type
of antenna.

Bob (ex-antenna site manager) Swinney

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
Why would conductive paint hurt it? It shouldn't change the wave length.
Assume nothing shorted with the paint.

If it's a fixed antenna like a J-pole then painting it with something
nonconductive would probably help in the long term.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Jerry Martes

Styped

I see that there are posts on the Antenna Group that reguard you to be a
TROLL. Is that true?? Is this antenna questioning on RCM a way for you to
have fun with the helpfull guys on RCM?

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld painting it
interfere with it's performance?

Tim Wescott

Tom Gardner wrote:
Why would conductive paint hurt it? It shouldn't change the wave length.
Assume nothing shorted with the paint.

If it's a fixed antenna like a J-pole then painting it with something
nonconductive would probably help in the long term.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

RF current flow is confined primarily to the outer edge of a conductor
("skin effect"). So you can have the highest-conductivity material in
the world for the antenna, but if you use conductive paint your RF power
will be flowing through -- and being consumed by -- the paint.

So unless the paint has a higher bulk conductivity than the metal, use
nonconductive paint.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Jerry Martes wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld

painting it
interfere with it's performance?

I honestly plan to build one. I am going to my first ham event Saturday
and hope to pick a radio up. I just ask alot of questions because I
want to be educated. Some people get tired of my questions but they are
legitimate questions.

Right now I cant decide whther to build a ground plane or j pole and
what materials. I would also like to build a scanner antenna for
airplane frequencies. But 108 139 mhz is alot of ground to cover. I am
not sure one j pole or ground plane would work in that situation.

Please understand just because I ask alot of questions does not make me
a troll. I just want to learn and build this the right way.

Robert Swinney

Thnx Jerry for the poss. Troll Alert. That's all we need: A HAM wanna-be
loose on RCM.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message
oups.com...

Jerry Martes wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld

painting it
interfere with it's performance?

I honestly plan to build one. I am going to my first ham event Saturday
and hope to pick a radio up. I just ask alot of questions because I
want to be educated. Some people get tired of my questions but they are
legitimate questions.

Right now I cant decide whther to build a ground plane or j pole and
what materials. I would also like to build a scanner antenna for
airplane frequencies. But 108 139 mhz is alot of ground to cover. I am
not sure one j pole or ground plane would work in that situation.

Please understand just because I ask alot of questions does not make me
a troll. I just want to learn and build this the right way.

jim rozen

In article , Robert Swinney says...

Thnx Jerry for the poss. Troll Alert. That's all we need: A HAM wanna-be
loose on RCM.

Yeah, and what's with the hotmail address?

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 10 Jan 2005 14:10:39 -0800, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Robert Swinney says...

Thnx Jerry for the poss. Troll Alert. That's all we need: A HAM wanna-be
loose on RCM.

Yeah, and what's with the hotmail address?

Well now, not _every_ person posting from hotmail is a troll.

Dave "It just seems that way..." Hinz
Gunner

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:56:08 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

STRYPED

I just went to the antenna news group to read their 'latest' and see that
you already posted questions there. I feel like I just stepped in a
"pile"when I see that you ask for antenna advice in RCM *after* discussing
it on the ANTENNA group. It becomes obvious to me that you are interested
in discussing rather than actually building an antenna.
There are world class antenna experts available to answer *any* antenna
questions in the Antenna News group. Take their advice.

Jerry

A side note to the viewers...Jerry has forgotten more about antenna
design than most of us will ever know. And the military loves his
work...they keep sticking them up.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Grif

Metal content to follow under the discone topic (I had to reach
to get it in there ;-))

Ground plane first. Just get something working to start with.

J poles are a blast but a bit 'fiddley' as a first antenna in my
opinion.
That's what makes them a kick to play with.

Do your scanner as a separate antenna for now. (just get something
working).
A home brewed discone might be fun. but for now, how about another
ground plane?
A look at a discone will give you any number of ideas on how to get the
ground plane
elements at the right angle. An indexing jig on an angle table in the
drill press would
make a nice looking start.

I'm doing a bad thing and not getting involved in the rest of the
discussion, but what
you need is an antenna you can listen with while you're building the
ultimate loaded
happy hoohaa bedspring grounded gopher catcher. At least that way you
have something
to listen to, and compare the results of each of the new antennas with.

When you get your ticket, inverted V if you're on HF, and a ground
plane for vhf. You'll
find you end up hanging out on mostly the same area of a band, just
tune them up, get
em running, and build the ultimate wave catcher next weekend. in the
mean time, you'll
have something that you can listen to.

Humm,,, I guess from my stand point, just get something in the air,
even if it's just a long
wire into the trees. It's a lot easier to work on an antenna, or other
project (even in the lathe)
if you've a good receiver running in the back ground.

Now for all the other guys,,, just get something up for now, then as
soon as you get your
super special rig running you can always take the ratty old thing down.

Did I say just get something working?
Good luck, have fun, and it's a hobby,,, it's supposed to be fun!

Jerry Martes

Styped

I'm an old guy who has asked probably more questions that you ever will.
I have no problem with those who ask questions. I do have some information
asking questions from which you intend to get educated.
The answers you get about facts will be very difficult to distinguish from
farietales when you submit the questions to either Internet news groups
and/or HAM radio forums.
Go to a HAM swapmeet and pick up a book, any book that is afordable and
might cover the subject you have questions about.
If you read the posts on the Antenna news group, you will find several
really well informed guys who will communicate with you Off Line. That
group is loaded with antenna guys who truely know their stuff. Several
have published extensively on the Internet. Try contacting Richard Clark in
the Antenna news group for decent guidance.

Jerry

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jerry Martes wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to make aan antenna for my 2 meter radio. WOuld

painting it
interfere with it's performance?

I honestly plan to build one. I am going to my first ham event Saturday
and hope to pick a radio up. I just ask alot of questions because I
want to be educated. Some people get tired of my questions but they are
legitimate questions.

Right now I cant decide whther to build a ground plane or j pole and
what materials. I would also like to build a scanner antenna for
airplane frequencies. But 108 139 mhz is alot of ground to cover. I am
not sure one j pole or ground plane would work in that situation.

Please understand just because I ask alot of questions does not make me
a troll. I just want to learn and build this the right way.

Martin H. Eastburn

Robert Swinney wrote:

Some radio companies, Motorola for one, used to paint their comm. site
antennas, tops of tall buildings mostly, "sky color". This rendered the
antennas less noticeable against the sky as back drop. Of course, the "sky
paint" is non-conductive. AFAIK, the procedure was developed by Motorola's
own premier Engineer, Russ Larson in Dallas. Russ is still there as Antenna
Site Manager, Emeritus of some of Dallas' skyscrapers.

Bob Swinney

Wow - used to consult with that group - 24 years ago has it been - Phew!
Flew all over the U.S. installing computer systems for REA power / load control.
Naturally it drove at least one Motorola transmitter.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Thanks for your help. I have been leanign toward the ground plane but
have been confused at some of the articles I have been reading:

I have a radio shack antenna book that has a saple plan for building a
small wire antenna directly to a pl connector. It says that radials for
a ground plane are bent to determine the antenna's impedance. But I
have seen some that were not bent.

I would like to build something I would not have to fool with once it
is up because I plan to put it high atop my tv antenna tower and I am
not crazy about heights!

The other thing that bothers me about a ground plane is I have not seen
any plans for a dual band version and I would also like to get on 440.
By the way, I have my license.

Dave Hinz

wrote:

I just went to the antenna news group to read their 'latest' and see that
you already posted questions there. I feel like I just stepped in a
"pile"when I see that you ask for antenna advice in RCM *after* discussing
it on the ANTENNA group. It becomes obvious to me that you are interested
in discussing rather than actually building an antenna.
There are world class antenna experts available to answer *any* antenna
questions in the Antenna News group. Take their advice.

A side note to the viewers...Jerry has forgotten more about antenna
design than most of us will ever know. And the military loves his
work...they keep sticking them up.

It always warms the heart to see a troll's attempt get short-circuited.

Grif

Ok, I'm sure that the right thing to do is get it right the first time.
Have fun on your quest! I also enjoy the book/reading side of several
hobbies. For me, that's a large part of my hobby life. The
book/learning thing is a whole different track than my comments about
getting something working. I'd be tempted to just buy a dual band
vertical at one of the ham sites, or swap meets around whereever you
are, and mount that on the tower.

I don't know of any DIY's that don't need a bit of tweeking/tuning to
get working, or at least not with me putting them together.

If it's about $$, the ground plane bothers you, and you only want to go
up the tower once, I'm out of suggestions, perhaps TV?
but I still stand by my statement of having fun!

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "indexing jig" I wonder if I could
make a discone that would be an all bander. I have plans for a uhf
copper discone. I wonder if I could modify it to cover vhf too. I
wonder if I could use aluminum elements instead of all copper flashing?
WOuld there be a difference in performance?