Default groupe a antenna.. where to get ?

Hi,

I've been reading up on TV antennas, I have finally decided to have a
go at installing one in my house ( have been using Sky only for years
now..) Anyway it seems that I ideally wanted a group A antenna. B&Q and
maplins only seemed to sell wideband ( black) ones. I actually bought
a black one from B&Q last night but it does not work too well in the
loft, so I'm going to try it on the outside wall this afternoon. From
what I can tell a red antenna would be more optimised for the channels
I need.So my question is, where is the best place to get a Group A (
Red ) antenna from?

Simon

maybe 'twas wrong group.
but here are 2 places:

http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Onl...erials_12.html
http://www.scantec.org.uk/www/produc..._id=2&sc_id=52
I'll shut up now !

Simon

Bob Eager

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:18:06 UTC, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

(at http://www.cpc.co.uk)

Could you be more specific? I looked but could only see what appeared to be
wide-band ones.

Loads of them there. Type 'aerials' into the search box, then follow the
'audio visual' category. For example, part number AP00764.

That's a televes group A at 21 quid or so plus VAT. I got a Televes
wideband one (need it in my area) a few months ago and it works well
despite being in a 'no Freeview' area!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Bob Mannix

wrote:

(at http://www.cpc.co.uk)

Could you be more specific? I looked but could only see what appeared to

be
wide-band ones.

Loads of them there. Type 'aerials' into the search box, then follow the
'audio visual' category. For example, part number AP00764.

That's a televes group A at 21 quid or so plus VAT. I got a Televes
wideband one (need it in my area) a few months ago and it works well
despite being in a 'no Freeview' area!

Many thanks, don't know what I was up to when I looked! That looks just the
job.

Bob

Bob Mannix

wrote:

(at http://www.cpc.co.uk)

Could you be more specific? I looked but could only see what appeared to

be
wide-band ones.

Loads of them there. Type 'aerials' into the search box, then follow the
'audio visual' category. For example, part number AP00764.

That's a televes group A at 21 quid or so plus VAT. I got a Televes
wideband one (need it in my area) a few months ago and it works well
despite being in a 'no Freeview' area!

Thanks for that end bit as well. I had "assumed" a better group aerial would
improve terrestrial and freeview reception. I note from your comments and
further investigation that this is often not the case, as the Freeview
signals are in a different band and that, for these ares (eg Oxford) a
wideband aerial is indicated. I presume (assuming this is the case) that a
wideband aerial such as the one you purchased is "better" than one that you
might get in B&Q?

Cheers,

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

Yes.

Televes products are pretty good - I have two of their antennas and
results and reliability have been fine. There is proper matching to
the cable, decent mechanics and seals and so on.

You can get them from TLC as well as CPC.

B&Q and most other sheds seem to sell Maxview, and that is about at
contract junk level.

Since most of the effort with TV antennas is installing them and
aligning, then it makes sense to get a good one and to use it with
good quality CT100 cable rather than cheap TV co-ax.
This is especially important if you are using a site with
transmissions across the band, such as Oxford (as you mention).

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Bob Eager

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:04:45 UTC, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

That's a televes group A at 21 quid or so plus VAT. I got a Televes
wideband one (need it in my area) a few months ago and it works well
despite being in a 'no Freeview' area!

Thanks for that end bit as well. I had "assumed" a better group aerial would
improve terrestrial and freeview reception. I note from your comments and
further investigation that this is often not the case, as the Freeview
signals are in a different band and that, for these ares (eg Oxford) a
wideband aerial is indicated. I presume (assuming this is the case) that a
wideband aerial such as the one you purchased is "better" than one that you
might get in B&Q?

B&Q were only selling fairly crappy ones (I did look) labelled 'medium
gain'. The Televes one is a high gain (I got the DAT45 but there is also
a DAT75 which is a bit unwieldy).

I was nearly caught out because (I'm in East Kent) my information told
me that I was on the Bluebell Hill transmitter (I think the muxes range
right the way across the bands). In the event, I found the Dover
transmitter was a LOT better, after a second lot of map measuring and
trig.!

See:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

but be warned that predictions are very approximate (in my case based on
the 'wrong' transmitter. The BBC website is good, too.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Bob Mannix

wrote:

[...]

Ah, good, I had just decided to get the DAT45.

Cheers,