R.Smyth

Default TV antenna amplifier problem

I have a TV antenna as a back up to my dish.
I believe the head end unit of the antenna amplifier is defective. It is on
the antenna.The twin lead from the antenna connection goes in one end and
the coax goes on the other. The coax then goes to a plug in unit in the
house which is connected to the TV.
Is this unit on the antenna a special device or is it nothing more than a
standard converter from 250 ohm twin lead to 75 ohm coax?
If so, that will save me buying a whole new amplifier.
Thanks
DS

=^..^=

Tim Perry

"R.Smyth" wrote in message
I have a TV antenna as a back up to my dish.
I believe the head end unit of the antenna amplifier is defective. It is

on
the antenna.The twin lead from the antenna connection goes in one end and
the coax goes on the other. The coax then goes to a plug in unit in the
house which is connected to the TV.
Is this unit on the antenna a special device or is it nothing more than a
standard converter from 250 ohm twin lead to 75 ohm coax?
If so, that will save me buying a whole new amplifier.
Thanks
DS

usually the unit near the antenna contains an RF amplifier. this is powered
by an in-line unit near the receiver (TV). this unit add DC to the coax and
blocks it to the TV. if it is reversed the amplifier will not work.

the supply can easily be checked with a voltmeter.