Bob Eager

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:04:45 UTC, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

That's a televes group A at 21 quid or so plus VAT. I got a Televes
wideband one (need it in my area) a few months ago and it works well
despite being in a 'no Freeview' area!

Thanks for that end bit as well. I had "assumed" a better group aerial would
improve terrestrial and freeview reception. I note from your comments and
further investigation that this is often not the case, as the Freeview
signals are in a different band and that, for these ares (eg Oxford) a
wideband aerial is indicated. I presume (assuming this is the case) that a
wideband aerial such as the one you purchased is "better" than one that you
might get in B&Q?

B&Q were only selling fairly crappy ones (I did look) labelled 'medium
gain'. The Televes one is a high gain (I got the DAT45 but there is also
a DAT75 which is a bit unwieldy).

I was nearly caught out because (I'm in East Kent) my information told
me that I was on the Bluebell Hill transmitter (I think the muxes range
right the way across the bands). In the event, I found the Dover
transmitter was a LOT better, after a second lot of map measuring and
trig.!

See:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

but be warned that predictions are very approximate (in my case based on
the 'wrong' transmitter. The BBC website is good, too.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!