Peter T. Keillor III

Default McMaster Catalog Gloat

I spent the week before last in New Jersey on a scaleup run at our
contract manufacturer's location. I made daily runs to
McMaster-Carr's Will Call counter for bits and pieces we needed to set
up. (Our toobox isn't picked clean after 2 years, but it's deficient.
Spare sanitary stuff is no more.) McMaster-Carr's New Jersey branch
is about 5 minutes away. That was an amazing operation to watch.

Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
fun to thumb through than the web site.

Pete Keillor
carl mciver

"Peter T. Keillor III" wrote in message

| Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
| just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
| fun to thumb through than the web site.
|
| Pete Keillor

Personally, I also like the paper catalog, for assorted old-fashioned
and practical reasons, but it's also out on a CD, which takes
up a whole lot less room and is searchable.

Peter T. Keillor III

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:29:06 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

"Peter T. Keillor III" wrote in message
.. .

| Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
| just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
| fun to thumb through than the web site.
|
| Pete Keillor

Personally, I also like the paper catalog, for assorted old-fashioned
and practical reasons, but it's also out on a CD, which takes
up a whole lot less room and is searchable.

Their website is great, with an excellent search function, but it
isn't like thumbing through the catalog ("Dang, I didn't know they had
those!").

Pete Keillor
Joe

Anyone got it on CD and wanna eMail it to me? I've got a site that will
accept up to 1 GB files for eMailing...

--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

"Peter T. Keillor III" wrote in message
I spent the week before last in New Jersey on a scaleup run at our
contract manufacturer's location. I made daily runs to
McMaster-Carr's Will Call counter for bits and pieces we needed to set
up. (Our toobox isn't picked clean after 2 years, but it's deficient.
Spare sanitary stuff is no more.) McMaster-Carr's New Jersey branch
is about 5 minutes away. That was an amazing operation to watch.

Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
fun to thumb through than the web site.

Pete Keillor

Tim Killian

We've been dealing with them since '87, and it still amazes me that one
company can do so many things and get it right 99.999% of the time.
Instead of trying to reform the Pentagon, Rumsfeld should just fire the
whole lot and let MCM run all the procurement and logistics!

Peter T. Keillor III wrote:

I spent the week before last in New Jersey on a scaleup run at our
contract manufacturer's location. I made daily runs to
McMaster-Carr's Will Call counter for bits and pieces we needed to set
up. (Our toobox isn't picked clean after 2 years, but it's deficient.
Spare sanitary stuff is no more.) McMaster-Carr's New Jersey branch
is about 5 minutes away. That was an amazing operation to watch.

Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
fun to thumb through than the web site.

Pete Keillor

J. Clark

If you drop by most larger aircraft repair stations before the new one
arrives, they most likely will give you the outdated Catalogues. Take the
publications person a plate of Brownies or a Gift Certificate and you will
be supplied for life.

Peter T. Keillor III wrote:

I spent the week before last in New Jersey on a scaleup run at our
contract manufacturer's location. I made daily runs to
McMaster-Carr's Will Call counter for bits and pieces we needed to set
up. (Our toobox isn't picked clean after 2 years, but it's deficient.
Spare sanitary stuff is no more.) McMaster-Carr's New Jersey branch
is about 5 minutes away. That was an amazing operation to watch.

Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
fun to thumb through than the web site.

Pete Keillor

Greg Menke

"J. Clark" writes:
If you drop by most larger aircraft repair stations before the new one
arrives, they most likely will give you the outdated Catalogues. Take the
publications person a plate of Brownies or a Gift Certificate and you will
be supplied for life.

It always pays to be in good with the inventory people. Doesn't
matter where or when. If its not MCM catalogs, its first pick over
the stuff going into excess or proceeds from the latest procurement
screw-up. Sweetness!

Gregm

Marty

I have a friend who works for them. It is truely amazing. I order
something before 5:00CST and I will have it the next day. Also, no hassel
returns. Though, I try to keep them to the bare minimum as to not abuse
it.

The only way to get a catalog is to be on a special list. To get one this
late in the year is because it was a return. Often they destroy catalogs
that weren't sent out rather than give them to people. Their inventory is
based on what their top customers buy and it would hurt relations if they
don't have needed items in stock.

Their doing a huge expansion in the Chicago area.

Peter T. Keillor III wrote:

I spent the week before last in New Jersey on a scaleup run at our
contract manufacturer's location. I made daily runs to
McMaster-Carr's Will Call counter for bits and pieces we needed to set
up. (Our toobox isn't picked clean after 2 years, but it's deficient.
Spare sanitary stuff is no more.) McMaster-Carr's New Jersey branch
is about 5 minutes away. That was an amazing operation to watch.

Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
fun to thumb through than the web site.

Pete Keillor

GMasterman

I get a new catalog every two years. I spend less that $3000 a year with them.
Their service is so good that I am amazed with every order. I love the ability
to order from their website, but also love the ability to brows through their
catalog looking for a solution for my latest problem. I would not use a CD
version if I had it. Can't read the CD while I'm sitting on the pot
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Peter T. Keillor III
wrote back on Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:35:56 -0500
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Personally, I also like the paper catalog, for assorted old-fashioned
and practical reasons, but it's also out on a CD, which takes
up a whole lot less room and is searchable.

Their website is great, with an excellent search function, but it
isn't like thumbing through the catalog ("Dang, I didn't know they had
those!").

That is the advantage of References on Dead Trees. The definition of a
dullard is someone who goes to an encyclopedia or dictionary and looks up
the item they are interested in, and then closes the book!

Heck, I can't recall the number of times I've put a reference away and
then have to drag it out because I'd forgotten what I'd come for.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "J. Clark"
wrote back on Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:34:52 -0500 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
If you drop by most larger aircraft repair stations before the new one
arrives, they most likely will give you the outdated Catalogues. Take the
publications person a plate of Brownies or a Gift Certificate and you will
be supplied for life.

"Mmmm Do-o-nuts!" Listening to one of the local radio car advice
shows, and the running refrain is to "take your autocare provider donuts."
Especially for a job well done. Pay the bill, but the donuts go a long way
towards making you a welcome customer.

I did that, even if it was the School Auto Shop Program. Hey, they
saved me a bunch of money, fixed the truck, and (hopefully) learned the
lessons well.

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Greg Menke
wrote back on 28 Dec 2004 00:06:50 -0500 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
"J. Clark" writes:
If you drop by most larger aircraft repair stations before the new one
arrives, they most likely will give you the outdated Catalogues. Take the
publications person a plate of Brownies or a Gift Certificate and you will
be supplied for life.

It always pays to be in good with the inventory people. Doesn't
matter where or when. If its not MCM catalogs, its first pick over
the stuff going into excess or proceeds from the latest procurement
screw-up. Sweetness!

And sometimes, "a couple" can be spared.

My dad asked a friend if he could spare a few tulip bulbs. "No
problem, I'll drop them off." Dad comes home and there is a gunny sack
full of bulbs. "Just a few" when you run a bulb farm is a hughmongous
amount when you're just want "a few" to decorate the house.

"Counting flowers on the mall..."
--
pyotr filipivich.
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:12:40 GMT, pyotr filipivich
calmly ranted:

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Peter T. Keillor III
wrote back on Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:35:56 -0500
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Personally, I also like the paper catalog, for assorted old-fashioned
and practical reasons, but it's also out on a CD, which takes
up a whole lot less room and is searchable.

Their website is great, with an excellent search function, but it
isn't like thumbing through the catalog ("Dang, I didn't know they had
those!").

That is the advantage of References on Dead Trees. The definition of a
dullard is someone who goes to an encyclopedia or dictionary and looks up
the item they are interested in, and then closes the book!

True, true. I do extra reading in dictionaries, too, usually getting
sidetracked by words as I skim to find the page I first needed.

Heck, I can't recall the number of times I've put a reference away and
then have to drag it out because I'd forgotten what I'd come for.

blush I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. g

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Jeff Wisnia

carl mciver wrote:

"Peter T. Keillor III" wrote in message

| Anyway, I asked one of the sales people for a catalog. It arrived
| just before Christmas, No. 110. The book has EVERYTHING! A lot more
| fun to thumb through than the web site.
|
| Pete Keillor

Personally, I also like the paper catalog, for assorted old-fashioned
and practical reasons, but it's also out on a CD, which takes
up a whole lot less room and is searchable.

Is one of those old-fashioned reasons because a CD makes a much poorer
substitute when you run out of toilet paper? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)