Default Angle Grinder Disk Stuck

I have a new Black and Decker "Firestarter" 4" angle grinder. I
accidentally put the grinding disk on upside down (the protruding part
facing toward the machine), and now I can't get it off. I've tried
putting the wrench that came with it inside a piece of metal tubing,
and turning. This only bent the tool. Any suggestions on how to
remove the disk?

Ecnerwal

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Don't get insulted, but is there any possibility you've gotten
disoriented and are "loosening it" in the wrong direction?

Jeff (Who's messed up "lefty loosey" a few times when approaching a
fastener from an odd angle...)

And then there are those "lefty-tighty" ones to throw you even more off
track. One or both of these seems like the problem (loosening wrong
direction - may be aggravated by the direction being counter-intuitive)

Terry Coombs

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Don't get insulted, but is there any possibility you've gotten
disoriented and are "loosening it" in the wrong direction?

Jeff (Who's messed up "lefty loosey" a few times when approaching a
fastener from an odd angle...)

And then there are those "lefty-tighty" ones to throw you even more
off track. One or both of these seems like the problem (loosening
wrong direction - may be aggravated by the direction being
counter-intuitive)

The Craftsman I got for Christmas has an arrow showing rotation . Just be
sure you're loosening in the direction of the arrow ... unless yours hasn't
got one ...

--
Snag aka OSG #1
BS132 SENS NEWT

DanG

On the larger grinders, it is better to keep a copper washer on
the spindle to keep those 5/8_11 threads from bonding to the
disks. The little ones don't seem to have as much torque, so I
have not been using a washer.

I have seen fellas break the pin and/or the casting on the big
ones trying to get a wheel off.

Is your problem disk the kind with its own threaded hub or the one
where you trap the disk between 2 hard steel "washers"? Can you
get to the hex or 2-hole "nut"?

I have been able to get some things like this loose by striking
firmly with a hammer. If you try this method, you will not be
able to reuse the disc. If you use this method, do not hammer
against the detent pin, you will probably break it. Just try to
get a few very firm and swift cracks at it to jar it loose. It
probably got into this situation by spinning tight under power,
and will require a substantial counter blow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a new Black and Decker "Firestarter" 4" angle grinder. I
accidentally put the grinding disk on upside down (the
protruding part
facing toward the machine), and now I can't get it off. I've
tried
putting the wrench that came with it inside a piece of metal
tubing,
and turning. This only bent the tool. Any suggestions on how
remove the disk?

Oops, the name is "Firestorm". I'll try loosening the other way. It's
the kind with the 2 hole nut. On reading the manual, I found out I
also put the two hole nut on backwards.

Martin H. Eastburn

DanG wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
ps.com...

I have a new Black and Decker "Firestarter" 4" angle grinder. I
accidentally put the grinding disk on upside down (the
protruding part
facing toward the machine), and now I can't get it off. I've
tried
putting the wrench that came with it inside a piece of metal
tubing,
and turning. This only bent the tool. Any suggestions on how
remove the disk?

You can put the wheel into a vise (trash the wheel afterwards) and then
try the wrench by hand and then a quick smack with a hammer...

Look at the threads and make sure you are turning the correct direction.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
WGalcik

grab the wheel in a vise and put a punch into the hole on the nut and hit with
a hammer .a couple of blows should do it
then throw out the grinding wheel

my makita sometimes locks up
walter
carl mciver

I don't know the exact tool you have, but something that I've done that
works on occasion for certain items is to wrap a fan belt around the item,
clamp the belt in a vise, and voila, a perfect strap wrench you can put some
real leverage on. Of course, it helps to have a helper holding the main
part in place.

wrote in message
ps.com...
| I have a new Black and Decker "Firestarter" 4" angle grinder. I
| accidentally put the grinding disk on upside down (the protruding part
| facing toward the machine), and now I can't get it off. I've tried
| putting the wrench that came with it inside a piece of metal tubing,
| and turning. This only bent the tool. Any suggestions on how to
| remove the disk?

Old Nick

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:29:42 GMT, "carl mciver"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I don't know the exact tool you have, but something that I've done that
works on occasion for certain items is to wrap a fan belt around the item,
clamp the belt in a vise, and

.........reverse connect the motor turn on the angle grinder!!!! G

THAT WAS A JOKE OK? GG
Steve Smith

I thought Firestarter was a pretty good name for an angle grinder. Maybe
you should suggest it to B&D.

Steve

wrote:

Oops, the name is "Firestorm". I'll try loosening the other way. It's
the kind with the 2 hole nut. On reading the manual, I found out I
also put the two hole nut on backwards.

Robin S.

"Old Nick" wrote in message

........reverse connect the motor turn on the angle grinder!!!! G

THAT WAS A JOKE OK? GG

Certain Metabo grinders (with the yellow spindle lock button) do not require
a wrench to change the wheel. You simple allow the wheel to spin down until
it almost stops and then press the spindle lock. This loosens the nut which
you can remove by hand once everything has stopped.

Regards,

Robin

Old Nick

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:19:24 -0500, "Robin S."
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Is that _recommended_?

Certain Metabo grinders (with the yellow spindle lock button) do not require
a wrench to change the wheel. You simple allow the wheel to spin down until
it almost stops and then press the spindle lock. This loosens the nut which
you can remove by hand once everything has stopped.

Regards,

Robin

Robin S.

"Old Nick" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:19:24 -0500, "Robin S."
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Is that _recommended_?

Yes. If you get the one with the black spindle lock button, you have to use
a wrench. If it's yellow, you don't need a wrench.

See:
http://www.metabo.com/uploads/media/...0_watts_10.pdf

Near the bottom of the second page (it is labled as page 69 as it is an
excerpt from a larger catalog).

Mind you, these grinders aren't exactly cheap. Many people would know Metabo
as Walter (Walter is made by Metabo).

Regards,

Robin

Old Nick

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:10:38 -0500, "Robin S."
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OK. I have the black button.