Backlash

Default House gloat

My wife has a lucrative job advancement that requires us to move to another
county, so she has been searching for us a house there that will suit the
need, but also with enough land to allow me to build a new, larger workshop.
She searched the Internet and found a house in the right area 5 miles from
town that was being offered by government as a past foreclosure and surplus
property, and was up for bids. It's 2464 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 4 bathrooms, two
septic tanks, sunken living room, bay window, two sunken dens, one with
fireplace, carport, concrete surfaced parking for 4 cars, corner lot in the
country. Side road is dead end. Lot is 150 wide by 300 feet deep along the
side road. Country store with $1.73 gas is one mile away. Obligatory metal
content is that the house has nails in it, and will be a "front" for my
workshop operation. The house is insurance appraised at $167,000, and we
closed on it with a bid of $81,200. New carpet, floorcoverings, and a little
paint, and it'll be ready to move into. I've made lots of good machinery
deals before, but I sure didn't expect to get such a deal as this on a
house!
The semi trailer I just purchased is loaded with my entire workshop,
parked in the back yard of my present home, ready to go. A
marriage-challenged friend just bought my old workshop property two weeks
ago with cash, and I rolled it right over into the new house. Things is
lookin' up! New shop on the horizon!

Pic at
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...antR/house.jpg

RJ

Trevor Jones

Backlash wrote:

[...]

And you DID check to see if it had a history as a grow op house.... ie.
potential severe mold problems, among other things.

Hope it works out better than that, but better to have checked than be
burned.

Good Luck!

Cheers
Trevor Jones
ATP

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Backlash wrote:

[...]

He can buy a lot of bleach and sheetrock with the money he saved, even if it
does have mold........

Trevor Jones

ATP wrote:

He can buy a lot of bleach and sheetrock with the money he saved, even if it
does have mold........

Not enough.

This problem has become quite widespread, to the point where it's
becoming one of the things that must be acknowleged, in a fashion
similar to what was done (and still is AFAIK) with Urea Formaldehyde
insulation through the realtors fact sheet.

As a rough estimate, the police in the city of Vancouver British
Columbia, figured that as many as one house in 50 or so in their area
had some level of grow operation in it. (based on thermal imaging,
excluded as a legal search method by judicial decision) When you exclude
the small timers, that still leaves a lot of houses suffering long term
exposure to extreme levels of humidity and general decreptitude inducing
treatment. Many of these houses are in "nice" neighborhoods, occupied by
"nice, quiet" neighbors.

Black mold health issues are not quite as simple as bleach and
sheetrock.

And that excludes the possibilities that there may have been any other
form of drug lab there, with the assosciated chemical wastes.

Perhaps all just supposition, but "I" would be considering such things
when looking at such a bargain.

It may well be just that, a bargain, which is my hope and best wishes.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Backlash

The house was part of a large farm operation foreclosed on by the Govmn't.
Everyone in the area told us that the family's eyes were larger than their
wallets. They apparently spent money out of both drawer legs until they went
bust, to my benefit. Their kids always drove new cars, went to private
schools, etc. I'm all too familiar with any mold issues, due to being wiped
out by flooding in '99 by hurricane. The gov agent let me examine the house
as many times as I wanted, and I spent quite a few hours, along with others,
for unbiased opinions, over several weeks doing just that. The people who
had the house must have been in denial. Tobacco farming is not what it used
to be in the South. They were refinishing the kitchen cabinets when the
foreclosure hit them. Duh! I have all the cabinet doors, and will just
finish the job before we move in.

RJ

ATP wrote:

[...]

ATP

ATP wrote:

[...]

I think it's blown out of proportion, with the exception of a few virulent
strains. In most cases mold levels outdoors are much greater, is it
hazardous to your health to walk in the woods?

Trevor Jones

Backlash wrote:

[...]

Coooolll!!!

Merry Christmas !

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:59:36 -0500, "ATP"
calmly ranted:

ATP wrote:

As a rough estimate, the police in the city of Vancouver British
Columbia, figured that as many as one house in 50 or so in their area
had some level of grow operation in it. (based on thermal imaging,
excluded as a legal search method by judicial decision) When you exclude
the small timers, that still leaves a lot of houses suffering long term
exposure to extreme levels of humidity and general decreptitude inducing
treatment. Many of these houses are in "nice" neighborhoods, occupied by
"nice, quiet" neighbors.

Black mold health issues are not quite as simple as bleach and
sheetrock.

I think it's blown out of proportion, with the exception of a few virulent
strains. In most cases mold levels outdoors are much greater, is it
hazardous to your health to walk in the woods?

What happens is an allergic reaction to the particular mold in the
house. Breathing it day after day finally triggers the immune system
to attempt a repair which it can't make, causing a breakdown.

There are more mold and trees up here in Oregon but my allergy level
has dropped 90% and my energy level is double what it was in LoCal
3 years ago. I noticed the change within a week of moving here.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

wallster

"Backlash" wrote in message
My wife has a lucrative job advancement that requires us to move to

another

RJ

snipped

sounds great! ours has white and brown fur and eats garbage. We named her
Sta_
OOPS!
sorry, i misread the title, i thought it said House Goat.

walt
(i wondered why i didn't see any livestock in the photo!)

ATP

ATP wrote:

[...]

You can get sensitized to irritants and then not be able to tolerate them at
all. But at what level/length of exposure is an open question. Some recent
studies have suggested that good climate control systems are very effective
in reducing ill effects from mold, even in buildings that had water
intrusion problems.

larry g

"
There are more mold and trees up here in Oregon but my allergy level
has dropped 90% and my energy level is double what it was in LoCal
3 years ago. I noticed the change within a week of moving here.

Dammit Jaques, Off in another post your complaining about all the government
rules that are in place here, installed by the CIO's that arrived here
before you and then you praise the paradise we have here. Just keep up
your bitchin and keep the praises quiet. We need no more Calefornication of
this state.
lg
no neat sig line

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
Dipping the house in paint Jim Mc Namara Home Repair 2 August 7th 03 12:48 AM