ATP

Default The lathe that got away

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

Waynemak

I wonder how Marshall felt about that sale, he was not real happy with the
price I paid for my Nichols mill from him, thats ebay some times you get a
good deal. Nice guy with alot of nice equipmnet in his store. That must be
close to you??
"ATP" wrote in message
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am
seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

ATP

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I wonder how Marshall felt about that sale, he was not real happy with the
price I paid for my Nichols mill from him, thats ebay some times you get a
good deal. Nice guy with alot of nice equipmnet in his store. That must be
close to you??

I think clearly they expected to get more, they don't offer a warranty on
the run of the mill "as is" ebay stuff. Apparently the pictures don't do the
lathe justice..... He does sell a lot of stuff with no reserve, and he
doesn't pick everything up for nothing. They're in West Babylon, which is
not far from where I work.

"ATP" wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am
seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

JMartin957

I wonder how Marshall felt about that sale, he was not real happy with the
price I paid for my Nichols mill from him, thats ebay some times you get a
good deal. Nice guy with alot of nice equipmnet in his store. That must be
close to you??

Agree with you about Marshall - nice folks. Bought a horizontal mill from
them. They seem to start most of their auctions at low prices.

John Martin

Charles Morrill

Here's another nice machine although smaller and not necessarily cheap!:

http://lautard.com/latheforsale.html

I guess the gentleman finally got his dream and then passed away. Not a
bad way to go, come to think of it. Anyone remember a couple years
back, there was a nearly mint Rivett (sp?) for sale on ebay for about
$3,000, not the variety that looks like a Monarch, but the earlier
rectangular bed variety. I should have bid on that one....

Charles Morrill

Waynemak

I have a guy here that has been triing to sell a Monarch for $1500, its the
10EE I was going to check it out. they seem to be going cheap these days. On
a much smaller scale I did score a nice adjust thru 6 jaw for my heavy 10,
real nice chuck, it came with an aloris tool post with 8 different holders.
After selling off the lathe parts it all came from I should break even.
"Charles Morrill" wrote in message
Here's another nice machine although smaller and not necessarily cheap!:

http://lautard.com/latheforsale.html

I guess the gentleman finally got his dream and then passed away. Not a
bad way to go, come to think of it. Anyone remember a couple years back,
there was a nearly mint Rivett (sp?) for sale on ebay for about $3,000,
not the variety that looks like a Monarch, but the earlier rectangular bed
variety. I should have bid on that one....

Charles Morrill

Karl Townsend

I have a guy here that has been triing to sell a Monarch for $1500, its the
10EE I was going to check it out. they seem to be going cheap these days.
On

As a proud owner of a 10EE, I've watched and don't understand why the price
on this wonderful machine dropped with the recession and never came back up.
I think it may be the best buy in fine lathes today.

Karl

Gunner

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:57:03 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

Very nice machine. Need a 17" Colchester in every bit of clean a
shape? Make you a hell of a deal on one.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
ATP

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:57:03 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...977&ssPage Na

me=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am

seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

Very nice machine. Need a 17" Colchester in every bit of clean a
shape? Make you a hell of a deal on one.

Gunner

Wouldn't shipping be a killer to NY?

Gunner

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:29:58 GMT, Charles Morrill
wrote:

Here's another nice machine although smaller and not necessarily cheap!:

http://lautard.com/latheforsale.html

I guess the gentleman finally got his dream and then passed away. Not a
bad way to go, come to think of it. Anyone remember a couple years
back, there was a nearly mint Rivett (sp?) for sale on ebay for about
$3,000, not the variety that looks like a Monarch, but the earlier
rectangular bed variety. I should have bid on that one....

Charles Morrill

Showroom lathe. Very nice.

The sad part is that for the same money, you can buy an excellent an
fully tooled Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
Gunner

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:18:59 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...977&ssPage Na

me=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am

seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

Very nice machine. Need a 17" Colchester in every bit of clean a
shape? Make you a hell of a deal on one.

Gunner

Wouldn't shipping be a killer to NY?

Depends on who you know. I figure somewhere around $2k maybe.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

The sad part is that for the same money, you can buy an excellent an
fully tooled Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe.

A fully-tooled, good condition HLVH for three grand? That's
what the german machine went for - or were you talking a different
number there?

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

On 15 Dec 2004 05:08:46 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

The sad part is that for the same money, you can buy an excellent an
fully tooled Hardinge HLV-H tool room lathe.

A fully-tooled, good condition HLVH for three grand? That's
what the german machine went for - or were you talking a different
number there?

Jim

three grand or $13k? I thought it was listed at $13,000.00?

http://lautard.com/latheforsale.html
"Asking price on all of the foregoing is US$13,000, which is a very
good deal, because it does NOT include the cost of Trans-Atlantic
shipping to the US, plus US Customs duties and brokerage costs, plus
the several months wait that is typically associated with obtaining a
new Myford. For these reasons, this brand new machine will be very
attractive to someone wanting such a lathe. "

I wasnt talking about the Rivettt

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

three grand or $13k? I thought it was listed at $13,000.00?

Sorry, that was a case of mistaken identity. I read the first post,
where the german lathe on ebay went for about 3K, then jumped to
right to yours and didn't check the link for that machine.

I guess I was hoping that maybe I had done a rip van winkle and
woken up in a new time where HLVHs went for 3K. Ah well. No
hardinge for me for xmas then....

Jim

please reply to:

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
news.com...
I have a guy here that has been triing to sell a Monarch for $1500, its

the
10EE I was going to check it out. they seem to be going cheap these days.
On

As a proud owner of a 10EE, I've watched and don't understand why the

price
on this wonderful machine dropped with the recession and never came back

up.
I think it may be the best buy in fine lathes today.

Karl

Speaking as one that spent over a year, full time, running an EE when it was
a new machine, I can vouch that it is likely the finest engine lathe to have
been produced. However, the problems that accompany the machine where the
drive system is concerned is not to be taken lightly. It has to be very
instrumental in keeping the resale value low on all EE's. The features
that accompany an EE, coupled with the superior quality, leave it in a class
all by itself. You are a fortunate man to own one, and even more
fortunate it you have one that is not giving you trouble with the electrical
system, assuming that be the case. Even the new one I used to run lost
the occasional tube.

Harold

Peter H.

Speaking as one that spent over a year, full time, running an EE when it was a
new machine, I can vouch that it is likely the finest engine lathe to have been
produced. However, the problems that accompany the machine where the drive
system is concerned is not to be taken lightly. It has to be very instrumental
in keeping the resale value low on all EE's.

The reason it is called an "EE" is because you have to be an EE (electrical
engineer) to keep one going.

Seriously, these are outstanding machines, from a mechanical perspective, and
the electrical systems underwent a "continuous improvement program", so they
were the very best that could be made ... when they were made.

Few EEs are identical, and Monarch Tool will sell you a manual for any EE in
its "as built" state, meaning that you will be provided prints for the very
electrical system and the very features your EE had when it left the Monarch
plant. And, Monarch still maintains its files on every EE (and other models) it
made. Hundreds of cabinets full.

You cannot do a decent job of electrically trouble shooting an EE without the
right print.

An EE is perhaps one machine where many hours of "sweat equity" pay off. In
spades.

The machine is so fundamentally strong in its mechanical systems that the
weakpoints are confined to the electrical system, and working on the electrical
system is having the right print, having a fundamental knowledge of electrical
systems, patience, perseverance, and a little luck.

Joint the Practical Machinist forum, as this is where all the EE EE mavens (EE
mavens who are EEs) hang out.

Sadly, the "quick fix" these days, for an EE with a troubled electrical system
is ripping out the dc drive, and installing a VFD.

Bad choice, as nearly every dc drive machine is repairable.

Plus, the dc drive performance is almost always superior in every respect to an
ac drive.

Now, the cost of the tubes is a whole 'nother matter, at $860 per C16J
thyratron, and lesser costs for the other specialized tubes, which depend upon
the specific drive type (WiaD, Modular).

The most trouble-free EEs are the Ward-Leonard (AKA, M-G) machines. But, these
are also the oldest, having been made from the early 1940s to the early 1950s.

Any EE made after 1949 is most probably an electronic drive, and this means big
bux if a thyratron is bad.

However, the lifetime of these tubes is an unknown, and there have been
machines which have never lost a thyratron.

(For $860, the cost of one C16J thyratron, you can probably replace the entire
dc drive with an ac drive).

Gunner

On 15 Dec 2004 10:22:48 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

three grand or $13k? I thought it was listed at $13,000.00?

Sorry, that was a case of mistaken identity. I read the first post,
where the german lathe on ebay went for about 3K, then jumped to
right to yours and didn't check the link for that machine.

I guess I was hoping that maybe I had done a rip van winkle and
woken up in a new time where HLVHs went for 3K. Ah well. No
hardinge for me for xmas then....

Jim

Welll...you do know I got mine for $500 dont you? In labor.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
Gunner

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:47:24 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Speaking as one that spent over a year, full time, running an EE when it was
a new machine, I can vouch that it is likely the finest engine lathe to have
been produced. However, the problems that accompany the machine where the
drive system is concerned is not to be taken lightly. It has to be very
instrumental in keeping the resale value low on all EE's. The features
that accompany an EE, coupled with the superior quality, leave it in a class
all by itself. You are a fortunate man to own one, and even more
fortunate it you have one that is not giving you trouble with the electrical
system, assuming that be the case. Even the new one I used to run lost
the occasional tube.

Harold

Gut the drive and put in a VFD. A no brainer and makes a very fine
machine, finer.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio

Harold & Susan Vordos

news
wrote:

[...]

There's no way it would be finer. The genius of the engineers produced a
lathe that developed almost full torque, even down at a crawl. Their
circuitry, according to my understanding, is as good as it got, especially
considering the time involved.

When an EE is running properly, I can't imagine anything that would be
better. They are so cool that you can cut a thread to full depth right up
to a dead stop, with no thread relief. . Every try it? It has to be in
aluminum or free machining brass, it won't work in steel.

Harold

Gunner

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:48:50 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Ive run one. And Ive also spent 2 weeks troubleshooting a tube drive
EE for a friend. For free. The second time the drive puked, he put in
an over sized VFD with a good quality Wegg motor and hasnt looked
back since. Shrug.

Indeed, they are a hell of a machine. And when new, they were probably
in the top 10 world wide for Best in Class.

But they are now old, and the electronics are old, and tired. And if
its an electronics hobby you want, go for it. If its a lathe you
want..spend less than the price of one thyratron tube for a decent
motor and a VFD, do the deed and start making chips.

Ymmv

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

I guess I was hoping that maybe I had done a rip van winkle and
woken up in a new time where HLVHs went for 3K. Ah well. No
hardinge for me for xmas then....

Welll...you do know I got mine for $500 dont you? In labor.

A steal. Mine was being surplussed by my company, it was
going to the knackers. I asked for it and they delivered
it.

Well, it's not really mine, it belongs to that big blue
company. But the upside on that deal is, they supply a
place to put it! And I get to use it off-hours.

Still given the size of my shop at home, I don't think
I'd make any changes for any machine other than one of
those. *Maybe* a pratt and whitney 12" machine.

Jim

please reply to:
Harold & Susan Vordos

"Gunner" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:48:50 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Don't misunderstand my statement. I fully agree with you about keeping one
running. All I'm saying is if you have on that is in perfect running order,
there is nothing that would make it any better. How many are?

I have worshipped an EE as long as I've been a machinist. I do *not* place
it in a class with ten other machines. It may very well be in a class all
its own, with others very near by.

I considered buying a new one when I started my business, but empty pockets
have a way of forcing you to look at other options. That lead me to the
Graziano I own. To this day I still dream of owning one, but the topic of
discussion, the electronics, has kept me from doing so. I would rather own
my Graziano, with its few limitations (as compared to the EE) than an EE
that would be difficult to keep in operating condition. I also have
little interest in VFD, considering I have three phase service.

Harold

ATP

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:18:59 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:57:03 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8977&ssPage N

me=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am

seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new

floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

Very nice machine. Need a 17" Colchester in every bit of clean a
shape? Make you a hell of a deal on one.

Gunner

Wouldn't shipping be a killer to NY?

Depends on who you know. I figure somewhere around $2k maybe.

Gunner

2K fir the delivered machine or for the shipping?

Gunner

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:22:24 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:18:59 -0500, "ATP"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8977&ssPage N

me=STRK:MEWA:IT

I wish I had been ready to put a serious bid in on this baby. I am
seriously
considering selling almost everything in my garage, pouring a new

floor,
putting steel beams in for trolley hoists, etc. and just buying cherry
pieces like this one at a time.

Very nice machine. Need a 17" Colchester in every bit of clean a
shape? Make you a hell of a deal on one.

Gunner

Wouldn't shipping be a killer to NY?

Depends on who you know. I figure somewhere around $2k maybe.

Gunner

2K fir the delivered machine or for the shipping?

Shipping, though it could be half that. Contact a shipping broker.
Im pretty sure the lathe itself will go for under $2k