machineman

Default The Stuff from hell :-)

Got a job in our shop right now that I wish would go away. Putting a
2-3/4" hole 8" deep through a block of 718 Inconel. Shoving a spade
drill through it takes a couple of hours(2-1/4") with a 1/2" starter
hole first. The spade drill inserts will be toast when done :-) The
turning and boring is slow but not to bad, 40-50 fpm. Also have to put
4 3/4-10 tapped holes in one end.
The set-up time is the real killer on this stuff, took a couple of
days to figure out the procedures. Hopefully no more glitches and we
can finish up the rest of the pieces.
Gunner

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 04:59:25 GMT, machineman
wrote:

Got a job in our shop right now that I wish would go away. Putting a
2-3/4" hole 8" deep through a block of 718 Inconel. Shoving a spade
drill through it takes a couple of hours(2-1/4") with a 1/2" starter
hole first. The spade drill inserts will be toast when done :-) The
turning and boring is slow but not to bad, 40-50 fpm. Also have to put
4 3/4-10 tapped holes in one end.
The set-up time is the real killer on this stuff, took a couple of
days to figure out the procedures. Hopefully no more glitches and we
can finish up the rest of the pieces.

Sounds like a job for EDM

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
machineman

wrote:

Got a job in our shop right now that I wish would go away. Putting a
2-3/4" hole 8" deep through a block of 718 Inconel. Shoving a spade
drill through it takes a couple of hours(2-1/4") with a 1/2" starter
hole first. The spade drill inserts will be toast when done :-) The
turning and boring is slow but not to bad, 40-50 fpm. Also have to put
4 3/4-10 tapped holes in one end.
The set-up time is the real killer on this stuff, took a couple of
days to figure out the procedures. Hopefully no more glitches and we
can finish up the rest of the pieces.

Sounds like a job for EDM

Gunner

Unfortunatly thats not an option :-( Burn time on nickel alloys would
be pretty long, even if using thin tubing for an electrode. Plus the
recast layer would be pretty hard as well, probably really screw up the
inserts on the finish bore :-) Slow and steady on a good solid machine
does the trick, and hss tools seem to work well, just have to keep an
eye on them and resharpen as needed.