Steve Jones

Default Red window sealing stuff!

The outside of my two garage windows (wooden) seems to be sealed with
some strange red stuff. A bead of it runs down the side of the window
frame and the garage wall. It has been over painted white and is moves
if pushed hard.

Is this what they used before silicone sealant. The reason I ask is that
these windows need repainting and this stuff is coming off in places.
Should I replace it or remove it entirely?

Thanks,

Steve
Pete C

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 12:58:10 +0100, Steve Jones
wrote:

The outside of my two garage windows (wooden) seems to be sealed with
some strange red stuff. A bead of it runs down the side of the window
frame and the garage wall. It has been over painted white and is moves
if pushed hard.

Is this what they used before silicone sealant. The reason I ask is that
these windows need repainting and this stuff is coming off in places.
Should I replace it or remove it entirely?

Hi,

If it't like putty, it sounds like 'red lead' caulking, google for
more info. No need to replace it with like, if you want something
which is overpaintable and will stick to wood that might have a bit of
oil in it, try a polysulphide sealant.

cheers,
Pete.