Ecnerwal

In article ,
"gfulton" wrote:

What does OIF/OEF stand for?

Somewhat more than 1000 dead GI's, 0 WMDs, and a whole new country for
AQ to operate in, courtesy of GWB's BFLs.

gfulton

Default Looks like Meridian Machinery petered out...

"axolotl" wrote in message
Marty Escarcega wrote:
Looks like Dave is off working a full time job and left the machinery
business.

Dave has gone back to sea as a ship's engineer. OIF/OEF has caused a
revival in the US merchant fleet. With the benefits of a (unionized)
ship's crew I cannot see it as a difficult career choice (financially).
Dave is one of the good ones, and I hope he dabbles in the business
between trips.

Kevin Gallimore

What does OIF/OEF stand for?

Garrett Fulton

ATP

"gfulton" wrote in message

"axolotl" wrote in message
Marty Escarcega wrote:
Looks like Dave is off working a full time job and left the machinery
business.

Dave has gone back to sea as a ship's engineer. OIF/OEF has caused a
revival in the US merchant fleet. With the benefits of a (unionized)
ship's crew I cannot see it as a difficult career choice (financially).
Dave is one of the good ones, and I hope he dabbles in the business
between trips.

Kevin Gallimore

What does OIF/OEF stand for?

Garrett Fulton

I think OEF is referring to Operation Enduring Freedom, the Afghanistan
operation.

Scott Moore

Karl Townsend wrote:
Dave, if you see this.

You were one of the truly "good guys" in this business. A real pleasure to
deal with.

I wish you well in your new pursuit.

Karl

I never had occasion to buy from Dave, being on the left coast. But Dave
was a class act. If he did ship out again, I am envious. What an interesting
profession to be able to fall back on.

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Being right is more powerfull than large corporations or governments.
The right argument may not be pervasive, but the facts eventually are.
GTO69RA4

It sounds romantic, but my next door neighbor is the only
person I can think of who has made a real career in the
merchant marine. On the other hand I can think of at least
six people I know well and several other acquaintances who
graduated from Maine Maritime or Mass. Maritime and shipped
out for a few years before giving it up. Lots of long
hours, isolation, and separation from family and friends
for months at a time.

Ned Simmons

I know one fellow who spent about 30 years as an engineer in the merchant
marine. Quite a neat fellow, lots of varied metal and wood related hobbies.
Retired early in the '80s for several reasons, one of which was too many
"colored guys and Puerto Ricans" (his words, no mine) who he thought were
slacking. Nice guy overall, though.

GTO(John)
Martin H. Eastburn

Ned Simmons wrote:

In article 6233d.6209$wV.2656@attbi_s54,
says...

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

When I was posted mid Pacific - that is 2500 NM S.W. of Hawaii, the
ships from Oakland would take 6 or 12 weeks. I think 6. We got most
of our food and odds and ends off the 'Golden' Bear line. I think they
served many a pacific island. We always as an island and later as a family
invited them to socials and 4th of July was the time to be on the island.

One day, a black flag came into the lagoon. A man had contracted the Plague.
He would be dead if not treated at our island so for most of the next day,
we all took booster shots of serum flown in special. The crew also got their
arms full. He left by plane as his ship sailed once he was in the clear.

Life is tough on them - powerful weather and the wide open sea.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life
Garrett Fulton

"ATP" wrote in message
et...

"gfulton" wrote in message

"axolotl" wrote in message
Marty Escarcega wrote:
Looks like Dave is off working a full time job and left the

machinery
business.

Dave has gone back to sea as a ship's engineer. OIF/OEF has caused a
revival in the US merchant fleet. With the benefits of a (unionized)
ship's crew I cannot see it as a difficult career choice

(financially).
Dave is one of the good ones, and I hope he dabbles in the business
between trips.

Kevin Gallimore

What does OIF/OEF stand for?

Garrett Fulton

I think OEF is referring to Operation Enduring Freedom, the Afghanistan
operation.

Thanks. Also thanks for not adding your "spin".

Garrett

Jedd Haas

In article , "Garrett Fulton"
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message
et...

"gfulton" wrote in message

"axolotl" wrote in message
Marty Escarcega wrote:
Looks like Dave is off working a full time job and left the

machinery
business.

Dave has gone back to sea as a ship's engineer. OIF/OEF has caused a
revival in the US merchant fleet. With the benefits of a (unionized)
ship's crew I cannot see it as a difficult career choice

(financially).
Dave is one of the good ones, and I hope he dabbles in the business
between trips.

Kevin Gallimore

What does OIF/OEF stand for?

Garrett Fulton

I think OEF is referring to Operation Enduring Freedom, the Afghanistan
operation.

Thanks. Also thanks for not adding your "spin".

Garrett

The name itself is "spin" - it's jingoistic propaganda of the worst sort.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
Peter T. Keillor III

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:31:17 -0500, (Jedd Haas) wrote:

In article , "Garrett Fulton"
wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message
et...

"gfulton" wrote in message

"axolotl" wrote in message
Marty Escarcega wrote:
Looks like Dave is off working a full time job and left the

machinery
business.

Dave has gone back to sea as a ship's engineer. OIF/OEF has caused a
revival in the US merchant fleet. With the benefits of a (unionized)
ship's crew I cannot see it as a difficult career choice

(financially).
Dave is one of the good ones, and I hope he dabbles in the business
between trips.

Kevin Gallimore

What does OIF/OEF stand for?

Garrett Fulton

I think OEF is referring to Operation Enduring Freedom, the Afghanistan
operation.

Thanks. Also thanks for not adding your "spin".

Garrett

The name itself is "spin" - it's jingoistic propaganda of the worst sort.

I'll miss dealing with Dave Ficken. He is a gentleman, and I'd enjoy
dealing with him again someday.

Now I'm setting the "Ignore Thread" flag. Seems the political spew is
going to contaminate every thread sooner or later. It certainly
doesn't belong on this one.

Pete Keillor