GTO69RA4

Default Trying to ID some old collets

Here are some collets I'm trying to ID. 2 5/8" LOA, 15/16" wide around the
machined area at the base. No threads. I have a whole board of these, in all
different round and hex sizes, plus a few odd ones like rectangular holes.

http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/photos/collets.jpg

Anyone?

GTO(John)
Peter H.

Probably WW-II vintage collets for Logan's proprietary production closer, which
was mounted ahead of the spindle and did not utilize a drawtube.

Koz

As long as someone else is asking about collets.....

I have about 150 that I haven't been able to I.D. either. They're about
..565 dia x 1.25 long with no thread for a draw tube. profile is similar
to what GTO posted except nose isn't tapered and they are smaller

Also in the same box, .75 O.D. x .1.5 long and many .375 O.D. x 1.25
long (these have a tapered nose)

Yea, it's a little hard without posting a pic but I was hoping someone
might at least know what to look into so I could try and ID them myself.

Or...if you can use em, let me know. I'm kinda tired of tripping over
them. I'll give better details and send a pic.

Koz

Peter H. wrote:

Probably WW-II vintage collets for Logan's proprietary production closer, which
was mounted ahead of the spindle and did not utilize a drawtube.

waynemak

Those look like screw machine collets, not much use in a home shop lathe. I
had some that were similier and ended up dumping them, no ebay buyers. I had
worked at Amphenol in the past and one of the old machine operators said
they used collets like that 40 years ago, most were made in house.
"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
Here are some collets I'm trying to ID. 2 5/8" LOA, 15/16" wide around the
machined area at the base. No threads. I have a whole board of these, in
all
different round and hex sizes, plus a few odd ones like rectangular holes.

http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/photos/collets.jpg

Anyone?

GTO(John)

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
Here are some collets I'm trying to ID. 2 5/8" LOA, 15/16" wide around the
machined area at the base. No threads. I have a whole board of these, in all
different round and hex sizes, plus a few odd ones like rectangular holes.

http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/photos/collets.jpg

Probably fits the spindle of a turret lathe or automatic
screw machine. You may be able to ID them from one of the
docs he

http://www.hardingeworkholding.com/w1collets.html

I just quickly scanned the Hardinge workholding catalog and
the first match I see is for a Hardinge no. MP1287 which
fits a Pratt & Whitney #2 turret lathe.

Ned Simmons

Gunner

On 16 Sep 2004 21:08:28 GMT, (GTO69RA4) wrote:

Here are some collets I'm trying to ID. 2 5/8" LOA, 15/16" wide around the
machined area at the base. No threads. I have a whole board of these, in all
different round and hex sizes, plus a few odd ones like rectangular holes.

http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/photos/collets.jpg

Anyone?

GTO(John)

Brown and Sharp Dead Length collets. They go into a holder that clamps
the collets without changing the length. This is an older type Ive
only seen a couple times before.

YMMV

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann
Brian Lawson

Hey Koz,

Hmmmmm.....without going out to the shop to measure, these might be
the collets used on a drill sharpener. They would chuck into a holder
collet on the machine, one collet for each size drill but. Mine has
from 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths, plus A to Z letter, plus 1 to 59 Number.
They have the drill size stamped on the face of each.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Peter H. wrote:

Probably WW-II vintage collets for Logan's proprietary production closer, which
was mounted ahead of the spindle and did not utilize a drawtube.

Koz

Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Koz,

Hmmmmm.....without going out to the shop to measure, these might be
the collets used on a drill sharpener. They would chuck into a holder
collet on the machine, one collet for each size drill but. Mine has
from 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths, plus A to Z letter, plus 1 to 59 Number.
They have the drill size stamped on the face of each.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Now that makes sense..there are a ton of sizes that tend to be in the
wire range. I'll have to look at the markings and see if there are any
old letter or wire sizes stamped on em.

Koz

Peter H. wrote:

Probably WW-II vintage collets for Logan's proprietary production closer, which
was mounted ahead of the spindle and did not utilize a drawtube.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO69RA4
Here are some collets I'm trying to ID. 2 5/8" LOA, 15/16" wide around the
machined area at the base. No threads. I have a whole board of these, in all
different round and hex sizes, plus a few odd ones like rectangular holes.

http://members.aol.com/gto69ra4/photos/collets.jpg

Anyone?

GTO(John)
The LOGAN Nose Closer Collet AC-50 requires a collect depicted in your Post with the measurements of: Length 2.540 Rear .875 Front 1.225 the "Face .925-- certainly would be GREAT if the ones you have met these measurements myself and others NEED them !!!! An E-Mail to myself would be appreciated- being new to this Site I do not know if this will appear as a Group Message or not !! (the LONE Collet I have is marked Precission 480- it is VERY lonesome)
Thanks Artie in Conn.