Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old May 11th 21, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 220
Default pock mark in cast iron skillet

On Thu, 6 May 2021 21:22:02 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Randy333 wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Randy333 wrote:
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
takes as while to get all the dust off.


Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.

What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
also has a fairly low melting temp as well.



Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
there.


This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
doesn't say.

Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
you need the work peice red hot.


Is this the same, similar to the flat HVAC brazing rods?


I have some flat brazing rods for HVAC work that do not need any flux
on copper. The Silver stuff I have is round.

99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
TIG or stick welding.

Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium


$50/oz? How good/pretty is this stuff on stainless?


Depends on how good you are with flux and a torch. Pricey, yes. but
you don't need much. A 1 OZ roll lasts me awhile.



Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
flux to braze.

I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.


Yeah, that's just robbery on gasses. The fees here seem pretty random. The
state of Il is somehow really scared of bronze for some reason.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

  #12   Report Post  
Old May 11th 21, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2020
Posts: 180
Default pock mark in cast iron skillet

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 5:22:06 PM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Randy333 wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Randy333 wrote:
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
takes as while to get all the dust off.


Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.

What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
also has a fairly low melting temp as well.



Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
there.

This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
doesn't say.
Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
you need the work peice red hot.

Is this the same, similar to the flat HVAC brazing rods?
99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
TIG or stick welding.

Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium

$50/oz? How good/pretty is this stuff on stainless?
Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
flux to braze.

I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.

Yeah, that's just robbery on gasses. The fees here seem pretty random. The
state of Il is somehow really scared of bronze for some reason.


$ 180 bucks or so can get you an Oxy-Acetylene torch. I don't know if its used or not.
  #13   Report Post  
Old June 3rd 21, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,910
Default pock mark in cast iron skillet

bruce bowser wrote:
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 5:22:06 PM UTC-4, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Randy333 wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:11:04 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Randy333 wrote:
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:57:17 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Got a I suspect new-ish Lodge cast iron skillet with a small void, maybe
1/16" in diamter. What's the laziest way to fill this in? I'm thinking
about just peening in some soft steel wire or copper in there to just plug
it. burned up oil will coat in in the end. Have access to an oxyacetylene
torch and pickup any sort of rod being sold. Not really sure what type of
cast iron us used in these. It makes black dust if you grind it and it
takes as while to get all the dust off.


Cadmium free silver solder would be my first choice.

What type of silver solder? It looks like plumbing solder might melt at
oven temperatures. The rest of the stuff I have is electronic grade, and
also has a fairly low melting temp as well.


Plumbing solder that is lead free has a small amount of silver maybe
2%, that's not what you want. Not all lead free solder has silver, it
can be made without it. There are a bunch of different alloys out
there.

This where I get lots. There doesn't seem to be a real standard to declare
what solder is, and sometimes the ingredients are just not listed. I have
some 5% silver solder for example. the other 95% is a mystery, it just
doesn't say.
Real silver solder is a brazing alloy. They melt at over 1000 deg F.
you need the work peice red hot.

Is this the same, similar to the flat HVAC brazing rods?
99% nickel alloy is used to weld cast iron, they have 99% Ni rod for
TIG or stick welding.

Look at McMaster-Carr # 7761A15
It's 45% Silver, 30% copper, 25% Zinc, NO lead or Cadmium

$50/oz? How good/pretty is this stuff on stainless?
Spot drill and then fill in the dimple might work best. You will need
flux to braze.

I get a HAZMAT fee on argon and nitrogen, they put that on everything.
It's just a scam to get an extra $8.00 everytime I go to the welding
store. Read the MSDS to see what you actually have.

Yeah, that's just robbery on gasses. The fees here seem pretty random. The
state of Il is somehow really scared of bronze for some reason.


$ 180 bucks or so can get you an Oxy-Acetylene torch. I don't know if its used or not.


My first full size oxy-acetylene torch was $2 at a garage sale. It's
Crasftman branded buy probably from victor. It had the cutting attachment
and one normal torch head. Didn't even need new gaskets. Did get a new
cutting attachment nozzle, so that was like $17.

I'm guessing the seller just wanted a home for it. I like that it has a
patina already and doesn't make your hands smell like ****.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homeowner attack thwarted by skillet. Oren[_2_] Home Repair 0 January 25th 11 04:16 AM
cast iron or cast steel-how do i tell?? monkers[_2_] Metalworking 11 February 24th 10 09:17 PM
Experience with Cast Iron wheels vs Cast Aluminum Brad Woodworking 3 July 20th 05 12:52 AM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 10:05 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 09:52 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017