Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A [vertical] Plain of Jars

Somewhere I have seen a vertical rack of small jars suitable for
screws, etc. It was in a catalog next to bins on shelves. But
now I can't find them.

Anybody seen same for sale?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Lesher" wrote in message ...

Somewhere I have seen a vertical rack of small jars suitable for
screws, etc. It was in a catalog next to bins on shelves. But
now I can't find them.

Anybody seen same for sale?
-----------------------

I thought jars with lids screwed to a rack was a good idea until I saw one
in person. They use space poorly because they have to be separated for hand
clearance. Close nesting rectangular containers like Akro bins fit much more
into the same wall area.

I separate screws by thread size and whether rust-proof or not, but not by
length, which greatly reduces the number of bins and fills them better.
Often I don't know the best length until I take the bin to where I'm
assembling the device and try a few sizes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:03:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"David Lesher" wrote in message ...

Somewhere I have seen a vertical rack of small jars suitable for
screws, etc. It was in a catalog next to bins on shelves. But
now I can't find them.

Anybody seen same for sale?
-----------------------

I thought jars with lids screwed to a rack was a good idea until I saw one
in person. They use space poorly because they have to be separated for hand
clearance. Close nesting rectangular containers like Akro bins fit much more
into the same wall area.

I separate screws by thread size and whether rust-proof or not, but not by
length, which greatly reduces the number of bins and fills them better.
Often I don't know the best length until I take the bin to where I'm
assembling the device and try a few sizes.

From way way back, I collected a couple hundred half pound tobacco
tins with twist off lids (I smoked a pipe and our office manager
rolled cigarettes for herself and ex-military husband), these rest on
1x2's across the open side of the mid-basement support wall, three per
space. An alternate container is the cardboard sided tins about 4"
dia. by 3" high with snap on plastci lids that come full of nuts (the
edible kind)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/16/2021 11:06 PM, Gerry wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:03:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
I thought jars with lids screwed to a rack was a good idea until I saw one
in person. They use space poorly because they have to be separated for hand
clearance. Close nesting rectangular containers like Akro bins fit much more
into the same wall area.

... these rest on

1x2's across the open side of the mid-basement support wall, three per
space. ...

As Jim said, I have found such arrangements to be very inefficient of
space used.

For instance - the tobacco tins. If the tins are 6"t & 4+" wide, 3 of
them take 6 x 16 sq in of wall (32 sq in each). If instead that wall
space was used for divided drawers like this:
https://tinyurl.com/yehx6582

You might get 4 or 5 compartments in the same area on the wall.

Can't compete on price!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

[...]

--------------------------------------

I do use repurposed screw-lid containers, mostly instant coffee, for
non-spilling storage I may carry around, such as small parts of disassembled
equipment and brass etc saw chips off the bandsaw.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:24:45 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

[...]

And lotsa luck finding a significant quantity of those
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've seen the vertical magnetic jars sold for kitchen storage. I have
re-used pill bottles for small storage on the bench, things like T-Pins
and probe tips for the meters are handy that way.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

-----------------------------------

The challenge is storing a large variety in limited space. I stock machine
screws, nuts and washers from #0 through 3/4" in steel (indoor) and
stainless/brass/nylon/aluminum (outdoor) plus M3 to M12, and generally buy
at least 4 replacements of whatever I don't have or run low on, which has
proven to be adequate inventory control. Normally the bins provide what I
need to build or repair stuff but I recently searched all over town for M12
x 1.25 self-locking flange nuts to replace single-use ones when I replaced
the front struts on my car.

Since all lengths of the same thread size share a bin I dump it into an Easy
Sorter Funnel Tray to pick out what I need and then pour the rest back into
the bin.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/18/2021 9:37 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I've seen the vertical magnetic jars sold for kitchen storage. I have
re-used pill bottles for small storage on the bench, things like T-Pins
and probe tips for the meters are handy that way.

Oh, yeah - I also use small bottles for storing stuff, but those bottles
are in drawers, not taking up wall space.