Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH)

"bob prohaska" wrote in message ...

In rec.crafts.metalworking Jim Wilkins wrote:
"micky" wrote in message

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Mar 2021 07:20:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file?

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow
preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw.
The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

The saw cuts did no substantial harm to the faucet, the setscrew galling
was minimal and easy to file out.

hth,

bob prohaska

--------------------------

Did you try to disassemble the check valve?

I've permanently (?) repaired hose sprays by winding a new rust-proof spring
from stainless welding rod.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file?

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow
preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw.
The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

The saw cuts did no substantial harm to the faucet, the setscrew galling
was minimal and easy to file out.

hth,

bob prohaska

--------------------------

Did you try to disassemble the check valve?

No, I was content to remove the leaky device. It didn't strike
me as something that could be non-destructively disassembled,
but I still have the carcass somewhere and could look if it's of
interest.

I've permanently (?) repaired hose sprays by winding a new rust-proof spring
from stainless welding rod.

Not sure I follow you here; hose sprays? Do you mean spraying leaks from
the anti-backflow device?

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file?

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow
preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw.
The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

The saw cuts did no substantial harm to the faucet, the setscrew galling
was minimal and easy to file out.

hth,

bob prohaska

--------------------------

Did you try to disassemble the check valve?

No, I was content to remove the leaky device. It didn't strike
me as something that could be non-destructively disassembled,
but I still have the carcass somewhere and could look if it's of
interest.

{{{{{{{{{
I disassemble things to see how they were made, knowledge that's been very
useful to me when I built prototypes for engineers who knew the theory but
not the practice. A demonstrated ability to design and machine custom metal
parts in addition to my electronic skills got me into the space program and
Segway.
}}}}}}}}}

I've permanently (?) repaired hose sprays by winding a new rust-proof
spring
from stainless welding rod.

Not sure I follow you here; hose sprays? Do you mean spraying leaks from
the anti-backflow device?

bob prohaska

These, for example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Q8IXTA...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The better quality ones with a threaded knob on the sliding stem can be
disassembled to fix a jam or leak. Greasing the stem seal and replacing a
rusted-out steel spring makes them last longer than a new one would without
repair and is less inconvenient than getting cleaned up and driving to the
store for a replacement. And it's a good excuse to be creative on the metal
lathe.