Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bob prohaska bob prohaska is offline

Default What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH)

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"bob prohaska" wrote in message ...

In rec.crafts.metalworking Jim Wilkins wrote:
"micky" wrote in message

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Mar 2021 07:20:15 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Can you drill out the setscrew and clean up burred faucet threads with a
small triangular file?

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow
preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw.
The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

The saw cuts did no substantial harm to the faucet, the setscrew galling
was minimal and easy to file out.

hth,

bob prohaska

--------------------------

Did you try to disassemble the check valve?

No, I was content to remove the leaky device. It didn't strike
me as something that could be non-destructively disassembled,
but I still have the carcass somewhere and could look if it's of
interest.

I've permanently (?) repaired hose sprays by winding a new rust-proof spring
from stainless welding rod.

Not sure I follow you here; hose sprays? Do you mean spraying leaks from
the anti-backflow device?

bob prohaska