Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden tap thread size

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. Is this a standard metric
thread for garden taps?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. Is this a standard metric
thread for garden taps?

All plumbing threads are still imperial afaik
7/8" BSP = standard thread to be found on 22mm compression fittings if
that helps knock up an adaptor.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 23 May 2013 11:57 Dave Baker wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. Is this a standard metric
thread for garden taps?

Usually 3/4" BSP but I have seen a 1" BSP - could that be yours?

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote:

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size.

In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP
but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which
is smaller, so 1" BSP.

Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and
33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2013 19:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote:

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size.

In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP
but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which
is smaller, so 1" BSP.

Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and
33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it?

AFAIK all garden taps are 3/4" BSP, as are all HPC inlet threads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote:

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size.

In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP
but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which
is smaller, so 1" BSP.

Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and
33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it?

Knowing the OP reputation as a precision engineer, I'd assumed his
measurements to be reasonably accurate.
About 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2013 21:38, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote:

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size.

In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP
but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which
is smaller, so 1" BSP.

Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and
33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it?

Knowing the OP reputation as a precision engineer, I'd assumed his
measurements to be reasonably accurate.
About 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi.
Bob

Don't think you will ever find one :-)

IN 30+ years of selling pressure washers I've never come across one that
didn't have a 3/4" bsp male thread for the inlet connection. The
Hozelock tap connectors fit them & the tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

That may be true, indeed there is no reason to doubt your experience,
but there are 7/8" threaded objects:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051ODZZC

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

in my travels around europe in a motorhome, i came across loads of different
tap connections,

in france it seem'd popular to have 2 taps side by side fed from a large
bore pipe, one would be the standard 3/4 fitting for 1/2 inch hosepipe, the
other would be the next size up, used with 3/4 inch hosepipe,

difference in flow was fantastic, could fill the 150 litre tank up in about
half the time with a 3/4 inch length of hose,

I collected a load of adaptors over time, so i could connect to almost any
tap i found, the one that got me was in scotland, service station in
aviemore, sized slightly larger than 3/4, but smaller than any of the larger
adaptors i had, used the back up of the rubber cuf and jubilee clip to
connect to it in the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2013 11:57, Dave Baker wrote:
I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. Is this a standard metric
thread for garden taps?

BSP *is* a standard metric thread in Britain. 7/8" BSP is 30.201mm OD x
1.814 pitch, but it is a very odd size to have on a tap. Most are 3/4" BSP.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 23/05/2013 11:57, Dave Baker wrote:
I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. Is this a standard metric
thread for garden taps?

BSP *is* a standard metric thread in Britain. 7/8" BSP is 30.201mm OD x
1.814 pitch, but it is a very odd size to have on a tap. Most are 3/4"
BSP.

I have garden taps installed between 1977 and last summer. 3 different
threads are involved.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote:

I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house.
Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch
which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size.

In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP
but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which
is smaller, so 1" BSP.

Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and
33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it?

Knowing the OP reputation as a precision engineer, I'd assumed his
measurements to be reasonably accurate.
About 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi.
Bob

You're right. Seems to be a ******* size which no one stocks anything for.
Might be easier to change the whole damn tap than try and connect a hose to
it. Arse.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 May 2013 09:43:18 UTC+1, Dave Baker wrote:
"Bob Minchin" wrote in message ... Dave Liquorice wrote: On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote: I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house. Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which is smaller, so 1" BSP. Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and 33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it? Knowing the OP reputation as a precision engineer, I'd assumed his measurements to be reasonably accurate. About 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi. Bob You're right. Seems to be a ******* size which no one stocks anything for.. Might be easier to change the whole damn tap than try and connect a hose to it. Arse. -- Dave Baker

I have the same problem, but it's at an allotment site where I don't own the tap, I just want to attach my hose to it. Did you ever find a solution?

Hozelock recommended I buy their 5/8" attachment - I think in metric so it took me a few beats to work this one out - hey, isn't 5/8 smaller than the 3/4 Hozelock one that I told them was TOO SMALL?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob wrote in message ... Dave Liquorice wrote: On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote: I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house. Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which is smaller, so 1" BSP. Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and 33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it? Knowing the OP reputation as a precision engineer, I'd assumed his measurements to be reasonably accurate. About 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi. Bob You're right. Seems to be a ******* size which no one stocks anything for. Might be easier

to change the whole damn tap than try and connect a hose to it. Arse. -- Dave Baker

I have the same problem, but it's at an allotment site where I don't own the tap, I just want to attach my hose to it. Did you ever find a solution?

Hozelock recommended I buy their 5/8" attachment - I think in metric so it took me a few beats to work this one out - hey, isn't 5/8 smaller than the 3/4 Hozelock one that I told them was TOO SMALL?

Yes, if indeed what you had was 3/4" BSP. But bear in mind that the
*actual* size of 3/4 BSP is 1.041" (about 26.5mm). If the *actual* size
of the fitting you had was about 3/4" in diameter, could it have been
1/2" BSP - whose size is 0.825" (just under 21mm)?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Medway Handyman, bond wrote:
I finally solved *my* outdoor tap conundrum. 5/8 BSP.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ze-897564-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2016 18:44, bond wrote:
replying to The Medway Handyman, bond wrote:
I finally solved *my* outdoor tap conundrum. 5/8 BSP.

It is customary to quote sufficient of the thread to supply the context
of your your reply.

All we see here is your reply, since the other posts to this thread are
3 years old and long gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...257492906 272
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2016 18:54, Fredxxx wrote:
On 01/08/2016 18:44, bond wrote:
replying to The Medway Handyman, bond wrote:
I finally solved *my* outdoor tap conundrum. 5/8 BSP.

It is customary to quote sufficient of the thread to supply the context
of your your reply.

All we see here is your reply, since the other posts to this thread are
3 years old and long gone.

He told you that the thread was 5/8 BSP - what more do you want? g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Baker, homerman wrote:
I made a 7/8 bsp female thread to 3/4 bsp male thread adaptor to suit hoselock
connectors also made 7/8 bsp female thread to hoselock quick release connector
both work very well I may sell if anyone is interested

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ze-897564-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to homerman, jazmann wrote:
Can you upload a photo? Or describe how you made the adapter. If you put it up
on ebay I might buy one from you if its difficult

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ze-897564-.htm