Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden tap thread size

On 13/08/2013 09:55, wrote:
On Friday, 24 May 2013 09:43:18 UTC+1, Dave Baker wrote:
"Bob wrote in message ... Dave Liquorice wrote: On Thu, 23 May 2013 11:57:38 +0100, Dave Baker wrote: I want to buy a hose pipe to attach to the outdoor tap at my new house. Thread size measures up at about 30mm o/d and a tad less than 2mm pitch which doesn't seem to be any normal BSP size. In the sheds what you can buy will fit... I thought they where 3/4" BSP but thinking about it that is the same a washing machine conector which is smaller, so 1" BSP. Wikipedia has 1" BSP as 11 threads/inch 1.309 inches dia (2.309 and 33.249 mm). Have you measured yours or just eyeballed it? Knowing the OP reputation as a precision engineer, I'd assumed his measurements to be reasonably accurate. About 30mm o/d and less than 2mm pitch stacks up with 7/8" BSP x 14tpi. Bob You're right. Seems to be a ******* size which no one stocks anything for. Might be easier

to change the whole damn tap than try and connect a hose to it. Arse. -- Dave Baker

I have the same problem, but it's at an allotment site where I don't own the tap, I just want to attach my hose to it. Did you ever find a solution?

Hozelock recommended I buy their 5/8" attachment - I think in metric so it took me a few beats to work this one out - hey, isn't 5/8 smaller than the 3/4 Hozelock one that I told them was TOO SMALL?

Yes, if indeed what you had was 3/4" BSP. But bear in mind that the
*actual* size of 3/4 BSP is 1.041" (about 26.5mm). If the *actual* size
of the fitting you had was about 3/4" in diameter, could it have been
1/2" BSP - whose size is 0.825" (just under 21mm)?
--
Cheers,
Roger