randy replogle

Default "Tool kit" for new employee--ideas?

I'll have a new co-worker in a couple of weeks and being the "old man"
of the shop I'd like to collect a "kit" of tools (shop supplied tools,
not personal) for him including things like drills, lathe bit blanks,
etc. I have other ideas but want to see what ideas you guys come up
with. Uh-Oh Is this considered trolling? Thanks.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)
Email address is legit

Tom Gardner

This kit will embody the entire philosophy of your working relationship. If
you do this wrong, he will be scarred for life and every job he works on
will be colored by your choices.

That said: Allen wrenches, an 8" adjustable wrench and a 10 oz. ball-peen
hammer. But the most important tool: A small, shirt-pocket notebook and a
pencil. Teach him to make lists!!! Please trust me on this. This is the
most important lesson I ever learned...and I learned it here from these guys
and gals.

"randy replogle" wrote in message
I'll have a new co-worker in a couple of weeks and being the "old man" of
the shop I'd like to collect a "kit" of tools (shop supplied tools, not
personal) for him including things like drills, lathe bit blanks, etc. I
have other ideas but want to see what ideas you guys come up with. Uh-Oh
Is this considered trolling? Thanks.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)
Email address is legit
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

Jason D.

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:59:49 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

This kit will embody the entire philosophy of your working relationship. If
you do this wrong, he will be scarred for life and every job he works on
will be colored by your choices.

That said: Allen wrenches, an 8" adjustable wrench and a 10 oz. ball-peen
hammer. But the most important tool: A small, shirt-pocket notebook and a
pencil. Teach him to make lists!!! Please trust me on this. This is the
most important lesson I ever learned...and I learned it here from these guys
and gals.

Hi,

Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Cheers,

Wizard
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

This kit will embody the entire philosophy of your working relationship. If
you do this wrong, he will be scarred for life and every job he works on
will be colored by your choices.

That said: Allen wrenches, an 8" adjustable wrench and a 10 oz. ball-peen
hammer. But the most important tool: A small, shirt-pocket notebook and a
pencil. Teach him to make lists!!! Please trust me on this. This is the
most important lesson I ever learned...and I learned it here from these guys
and gals.

Hi,

Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Cheers,

Wizard

"To do" lists, but more importantly "Don't do" lists, like "Don't borrow
the boss' pet micrometer and let him see you using it for a C-clamp.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Tom Gardner

Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?
Wizard

Lists of stuff that one would forget or delay because it isn't on the list.

Anthony

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
:

[...]

Excellent advice, but please include a dead-blow hammer. Great for
seating parts in a vice or fixture.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Andy Dingley

wrote:

A small, shirt-pocket notebook and a pencil.

And if you want him to make lists that he ought to keep, make that a
Moleskine (yes, with the "e") notebook. I run several notebooks
simultaneously - a reporter's notebook for disposable "shopping lists"
and a Moleskine for the permanent stuff.

Oh, and a copy of Zeus' tables too - maybe Machinery's Handbook if
you're feeling generous.

Your _own_ safety glasses and ears make some people less squeamish
about using the "pool" sets.

--
Smert' spamionam
larry g

How about a cleaning brush, some lubricants, a company shirt or hat or
coffee mug, a phone list of contacts and what they do. Give him the name of
the gal who really makes thing happen. Are we to assume that this person is
being hired to work in a machine shop, or is it some other kind of shop.
lg
no neat sig line

"randy replogle" wrote in message
I'll have a new co-worker in a couple of weeks and being the "old man"
of the shop I'd like to collect a "kit" of tools (shop supplied tools,
not personal) for him including things like drills, lathe bit blanks,
etc. I have other ideas but want to see what ideas you guys come up
with. Uh-Oh Is this considered trolling? Thanks.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)
Email address is legit
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

Steve Walker

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
SNIP

"To do" lists, but more importantly "Don't do" lists, like "Don't borrow
the boss' pet micrometer and let him see you using it for a C-clamp.

Jeff

It's OK if the boss doesn't see you? G
--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

randy replogle

Tom Gardner wrote:

A small, shirt-pocket notebook and a
pencil. Teach him to make lists!!! Please trust me on this. This is the
most important lesson I ever learned...and I learned it here from these guys
and gals.

I've been doing this myself lately. A lot of ideas pass through my mind
during the day and if I don't write them down immediately they're gone
forever or at least 'til the next time I need that tap that we just ran
out of. Thanks.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)
Email address is legit
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

randy replogle

larry g wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's a machine shop, check the URL in my sig. It hasn't been
updated, though. "The gal who makes things happen?" I think he's married
Just kidding! Thanks.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)
Email address is legit
http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

Gerald Miller

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 15:48:14 GMT, randy replogle
wrote:

Yes, it's a machine shop, check the URL in my sig. It hasn't been
updated, though. "The gal who makes things happen?" I think he's married
Just kidding! Thanks.

Actually, this is the young female clerk who looks after the time
sheets and makes out the checks.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Wayne Bengtsson

"Jason D." wrote in message
Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Well, a good one to start off with: every time you have to borrow a tool,
you write it down in you notebook. After the next paycheck, when you go tool
shopping, you have a better idea exactly _what_ tools you need to be looking
at.

Other stuff to scribble down:
Measurements.

Compound calculations

Hours worked

Machine settings

I'm sure there's other things as well.

Gary H. Lucas

Speaking of notebooks. I carry a 3 x 5 notebook made by J. Darling Corp.,
Tacoma, WA, 253-922-5000 called "Rite in the Rain" It has polyethylene
covers and special treated paper that is water proof. The covers absolutely
do not tear off, and you can write on the paper while it is soaking wet.
They hold up extremely well riding around in my hip pocket all the time. I
date each one when I start using it. I then date it again when it is full.
I don't throw them away. In the front of each pad is my phone number list.
Each time I start a new notebook I transfer the list, removing numbers I no
longer need and alphabetizing the random numbers that accumulated from the
last list. This was very useful recently when I ran over my cell phone with
my van while out on the road! I find that the process of updating note
books also refreshes my own memory and insures that I get things done that I
have promised. I have them going back more than ten years now. My habit is
to NEVER write anything down somewhere else until I've written it down in my
notebook first. This way I never lose phone numbers or other important
data.

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

Gary H. Lucas

"Wayne Bengtsson" wrote in message
news

"Jason D." wrote in message
Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Well, a good one to start off with: every time you have to borrow a tool,
you write it down in you notebook. After the next paycheck, when you go

tool
shopping, you have a better idea exactly _what_ tools you need to be

looking
at.

Other stuff to scribble down:
Measurements.

Compound calculations

Hours worked

Machine settings

I'm sure there's other things as well.

john

Gary H. Lucas wrote:

This was very useful recently when I ran over my cell phone with
my van while out on the road!

Gary H. Lucas

I know cell phones can be very annoying but just turn the thing off, you
don't have to run over it. G

John

Tom

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

"Don't borrow the boss' pet micrometer and let him see you using it for a
C-clamp."

Jeff

Now how the hell are you gonna clamp anything with any kind of precision if you
don't have a calibrated C-clamp??? Geez!!!!

Bill Roberto

I use the cheap Mead or similar. I've been doing that since my first
management job. I've only started keeping the filled ones for the last 5
years since I have been in business for myself. I've got the full nerd set
up. Left shirt pocket: Scale in the scale pocket, flashlight, screwdriver,
sharpie, pen, pencil. In that order. Same pocket behind the clippable stuff
is the notebook and a Besley drill/tap chart. Right shirt pocket: Business
cards, laser pointer.

"Jason D." wrote in message
Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Well, a good one to start off with: every time you have to borrow a

tool,
you write it down in you notebook. After the next paycheck, when you go

tool
shopping, you have a better idea exactly _what_ tools you need to be

looking
at.

Other stuff to scribble down:
Measurements.

Compound calculations

Hours worked

Machine settings

I'm sure there's other things as well.

Kath

"Bill Roberto" wrote in message
ink.net...
I use the cheap Mead or similar. I've been doing that since my first
management job. I've only started keeping the filled ones for the last 5
years since I have been in business for myself. I've got the full nerd set
up. Left shirt pocket: Scale in the scale pocket, flashlight, screwdriver,
sharpie, pen, pencil. In that order. Same pocket behind the clippable

stuff
is the notebook and a Besley drill/tap chart. Right shirt pocket:

Business
cards, laser pointer.

Do you have a pen-knife in your pocket?

Ed Huntress

"Kath" wrote in message

Do you have a pen-knife in your pocket?

Yes. Since I was 10.

'Almost lost a nice bone-handled Case at Newark airport last year, because I
forgot it was there. The feds had just taken over security and they were
decent guys, as well as being the only real pros I've ever seen at airport
security in the US. They directed me to a place that gave away free
envelopes, pointed me to a stamp machine, and then one of them escorted me
down the walkway to a mail box, where I dropped it in the mail to myself.

Ed Huntress

Bill Roberto

"Kath" wrote in message

"Bill Roberto" wrote in message
ink.net...
I use the cheap Mead or similar. I've been doing that since my first
management job. I've only started keeping the filled ones for the last 5
years since I have been in business for myself. I've got the full nerd

set
up. Left shirt pocket: Scale in the scale pocket, flashlight,

screwdriver,
sharpie, pen, pencil. In that order. Same pocket behind the clippable

stuff
is the notebook and a Besley drill/tap chart. Right shirt pocket:

Business
cards, laser pointer.

Do you have a pen-knife in your pocket?

But of course. It is a little Buck I've had over 15 years. It has been lost
and found several times. It keeps finding me. I've cut just about everything
with it and it still keeps a good edge. I had an Oldtimer but when it got
lost it stayed lost.

Brian Lawson

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just in case anybody here is interested:

I got an email this morning that says there will be an important
meeting of the club on Wednesday September 8, 2004, at 7:30PM in Room
T120 of Macomb Community College, South Campus, in Warren, Michigan.

The College is just west of Groesbeck Hwy at 12 Mile, and is bounded
by 12 Mile, Hayes Rd, Martin Rd, and Bunert Rd., and the T-120 Room is
in the most south-westerly building. Parking is within 100 feet of
the building.

Visitors welcome.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario
tHAT

I used a Rite in the Rain in an WET underground mine. They are
indispensable. One Caveat: Make sure you use an appropriate writing tool. It
needs to be waterproof ink or a good pencil as well, or you just end up with
a bunch of smears on a page.

The RitR's are available at most office supply places, at least here in the
woods.

tHAT

"Jason D." wrote in message
Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Well, a good one to start off with: every time you have to borrow a tool,
you write it down in you notebook. After the next paycheck, when you go

tool
shopping, you have a better idea exactly _what_ tools you need to be

looking
at.

Other stuff to scribble down:
Measurements.

Compound calculations

Hours worked

Machine settings

I'm sure there's other things as well.

Gary H. Lucas

"Bill Roberto" wrote in message
ink.net...
I use the cheap Mead or similar. I've been doing that since my first
management job. I've only started keeping the filled ones for the last 5
years since I have been in business for myself. I've got the full nerd set
up. Left shirt pocket: Scale in the scale pocket, flashlight, screwdriver,
sharpie, pen, pencil. In that order. Same pocket behind the clippable

stuff
is the notebook and a Besley drill/tap chart. Right shirt pocket:

Business
cards, laser pointer.

I got tired of the cover falling off the cheap ones, and pages falling out
too. I'm very rough on them. I carry a double ended sharpie, to go along
with the waterproof paper. I also carry a Leatherman Pulse. I carried a
knife since I was a kid and about ten years ago a guy showed me a
Leatherman. It's slightly larger and heavier than a swiss army knife, but I
really find the needle nose, wire cutters, and diamond hone very useful.

Gary H. Lucas

PrecisionMachinisT

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

--

SVL

Bill Roberto

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't

carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

--

SVL

Do you also pay someone to follow you around all day holding your testicles
in a warmed spoon?

Charlie Gary

tHAT wrote:
I prefer the Gerber Multi-Tool with attachments. I think they're much
better made. I keep my Leatherman in the truck.

tHAT

Snip

How anybody can pick up a Leatherman after squeezing a Gerber is beyond me.
;-)

--
Later,

Charlie

The American Dairy Goat Association has competed with this promotion line:
"If God had wanted us to milk cows, He would have given us four hands."

Gunner

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:39:27 GMT, "Bill Roberto"
wrote:

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't

carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

--

SVL

Do you also pay someone to follow you around all day holding your testicles
in a warmed spoon?

Hummmmm..how do you keep a pair of soup ladles warm all day and still
walk? Sigh..it did sound fun though it migh chap my thighs a bit.

Next time I do a job in West Hollywood Ill have to ask. They know all
about that sort of stuff....

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

PrecisionMachinisT

"Bill Roberto" wrote in message
link.net...

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't

carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

--

SVL

Do you also pay someone to follow you around all day holding your

testicles
in a warmed spoon?

Yes.

She works under the table too.

--

SVL

Harry Conover

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message ...
"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

Then I'd guess that you never worked for a major US corporation like
Raytheon (or Kodak), where even Dennis Picard (the CEO) carried his
own notebook which consisted of file cards! In fact, at Raytheon it
was reqired of everyone above the working level of a senior engineer
as a defense against memory lapses or errors. You wrote down what a
subordinate had told you, and then confronted him with his own words
when he failed to perform.

You would trust your personal notebook in the hands of someone else.
Strange!

Harry C.
PrecisionMachinisT

"Harry Conover" wrote in message
om...
"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't

carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

Then I'd guess that you never worked for a major US corporation like
Raytheon (or Kodak), where even Dennis Picard (the CEO) carried his
own notebook which consisted of file cards! In fact, at Raytheon it
was reqired of everyone above the working level of a senior engineer
as a defense against memory lapses or errors. You wrote down what a
subordinate had told you, and then confronted him with his own words
when he failed to perform.

You would trust your personal notebook in the hands of someone else.
Strange!

I worked for Boeing many years, but not as a manager--today I have employees
take notes.

--

SVL

Bill Roberto

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Bill Roberto" wrote in message
link.net...

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Gary H. Lucas" wrote in message

I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't

carry
and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

--

SVL

Do you also pay someone to follow you around all day holding your

testicles
in a warmed spoon?

Yes.

She works under the table too.

--

SVL

Nice set up SV. Multitasking at it's finest.

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show (Jason
D.) wrote back on Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:54:08 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking
:
wrote:

This kit will embody the entire philosophy of your working relationship. If
you do this wrong, he will be scarred for life and every job he works on
will be colored by your choices.

That said: Allen wrenches, an 8" adjustable wrench and a 10 oz. ball-peen
hammer. But the most important tool: A small, shirt-pocket notebook and a
pencil. Teach him to make lists!!! Please trust me on this. This is the
most important lesson I ever learned...and I learned it here from these guys
and gals.

Hi,

Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?

Lists to make: who, what and where. break times, locations of tools,
etc. (Of course, I am the sort who has to write it down, or I'll forget.
I may never again look at the notes, but "non scriptum, non est".)
Somewhere in that notebook is a page for "scribbling", especially job
numbers. "Where's the stuff for this Job?" isn't much different than
walking up to the metropolitan bus terminal and asking "What time does the
bus leave?" Write it down, then you are less likely to have to come back
wondering "was that 6061 or 6160?" Or worse, discover after the fact that
you got the wrong stock.

Write down setups. Tools needed (what size wrench, etc) Feeds, speeds,
tooling, "tricks of the trade", and the `howdoyas' ("How do you ...") Use
sketches. This doesn't have to be "art" just clear enough bring it back to
mind.

OF course, this presumes that the note-taker is "literate". I've known
some folks who couldn't write for spit. Read, yes, but their writing
skills were minimal.

tschus
pyotr

Cheers,

Wizard

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Kath"
wrote back on Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:26 -0400 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

"Bill Roberto" wrote in message
link.net...
I use the cheap Mead or similar. I've been doing that since my first
management job. I've only started keeping the filled ones for the last 5
years since I have been in business for myself. I've got the full nerd set
up. Left shirt pocket: Scale in the scale pocket, flashlight, screwdriver,
sharpie, pen, pencil. In that order. Same pocket behind the clippable

stuff
is the notebook and a Besley drill/tap chart. Right shirt pocket:

Business
cards, laser pointer.

Do you have a pen-knife in your pocket?

I've a clip knife in the right pocket, a leatherman on the belt.

I also have the pens and mechanical pencils (and the 6" scales) in a
Kennametal Pocket protector. I are a machinist Nerd!

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "tHAT"
wrote back on Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:21:10 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
I prefer the Gerber Multi-Tool with attachments. I think they're much
better made. I keep my Leatherman in the truck.

I've one of each (friend works for Gerber). It's nice, but a bit
"clunky" for me. Of course, I was using a Leatherman daily for about
three years at work, and its been over ten years. One gets used to the way
things work. But now I have a new belt pouch, which has a nice holder for
such things. So I now have the Gerber on the left (with the cellphone),
and the Leatherman on the right.

It is kind of funny when you whip one or the other out and "fix"
something. Have tool, will travel.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gerald Miller
wrote back on Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:38:10 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

Yes, it's a machine shop, check the URL in my sig. It hasn't been
updated, though. "The gal who makes things happen?" I think he's married
Just kidding! Thanks.

Actually, this is the young female clerk who looks after the time
sheets and makes out the checks.

In every outfit, there is a formal organization, and an informal
organization. Twice bless is the company which has the two organizations
the same.

The formal organization is obvious, who has what job title, and what
official responsibility.
The informal organization is the one which you knows that to get a
[fill in the blank], you talk to Person Y, not the person on the chart. I
saw this years ago during an internship. The liaison guy couldn't get us
the Company hats, but we did get hats from one of the guys we knew who also
worked there.

It still is a good policy to be nice to the office staff, they can help
you, or just "work to rule". But that is often something which is entirely
up to the individual.

tschus
pyotr

--