Gunner

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 00:57:04 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Gunner,

I was going to use a 20HP motor too. I kicked it into gear with a
pony motor, and it was drawing 80 plus amps. I've settled for a
7-1/2HP, which is still drawing 20 or so.-

Gack!!

Maybe Ill use a 10 hp. Ive got that 1501 Clausing with the 7.5 hp
motor. Its a bit slow to start on my 5hp Star International RPC (old
*******) and doesnt like starting in Low range.

I can get by a bit by firing up the OD grinder at the same time, which
acts as a slave, but its still under powered.

Gunner

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:52:18 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On 25 Aug 2004 13:18:31 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

You have to understand that most of the designs you
see are highly optimized. Using an oversized idler
motor that is started with a pony motor means you
don't need any power factor correction, no balancing,
and no starting circuitry.

It gets built for free, runs forever, and never
has to be thought about. Example is the patented
"jim's stone age converter" seen he

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

Got a wiring diagram? Ive got a 20hp 3600rpm Western Electric waiting
to be turned into a RPC. Pony motors Ive got by the score.

Gunner, who was given a Hardinge DV-59 today. Disassembled but
complete....sigh

Anyone need any Federal air gauges? Got about a dozen of them G

Schaublin Lever action tailstock with built in collet holder in the
nose of the ram?

Scored today.... VBG)

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

Got a wiring diagram?

Like the man said, we don't need no stinkin' diagrams.

You power two of the leads from your incoming 240 line via
a fused knife switch, and take the 3~ off all three wires.

And like he said, a dropout contactor is a nice idea.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

Note, also, that this has *no* safety circuit to disconnect the
idler when the power fails, so when it comes back on, the motor will sit
there humming until it burns up, or trips the breaker. So *always* turn
it off when you walk away.

Well nobody would be dumb enough to leave the darn thing on all
night.

Ahem.

Trouble is, this converter is really really quiet. I simply
cannot hear it running inside the little root celler it sits
in. The rubber stoppers do a great job of vibration isolation,
and I think it's a pretty high quality motor to start with.

I've got it powered off of a 15 amp breaker, through number
12 wire. The fuses in the knife switch are 10 amp, so it's on
a pretty short leash. I've had momentary lapses of grey matter
on occasion and threw the knife switch *before* spinning the
idler up - and the result is that it grunts for about a second
before one of the fuses pops.

Still a drop-out contactor is now on my list-O-stuff to do.

Until then I'll just be sure to turn the damn thing off before
leaving the shop, religiously. Maybe a note on the cellar door,
or a big red light in parallel with the drive.

Ahem.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , Old Nick says...

I did some reading. I remember now what my reservation was. While you
can throw plenty into the RPC, they are not good at allowing the
driven motor to produce full power.

This is news to me. Where did you read that? For a reasonably
sized rotary converter (at least 50% larger than the driven
motor) you can develop full hp on the driven motor.

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:34:57 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Gunner sez:
"Got a wiring diagram? Ive got a 20hp 3600rpm Western Electric waiting to
be turned into a RPC. Pony motors Ive got by the score."

Wiring, schmiring, Gunner! Get after it, dude. I think it could be started
with about 1400 microFarad of motor start caps, but that wouldn't be code,
now would it?

Bob Swinney

Code smode. At work, I follow code to the letter, at home, I follow
proper practices based on safety. Often times not to "code"

I picked up about a half case of semi rectangular caps, about 2"
thick, by 5" wide by about 8" tall.

Only problem is..they are about 7fd. Not sure what they can be used
for. But the price was right.."can you use those? Toss em on your
truck"

Gunner

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On 26 Aug 2004 09:10:49 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

Got a wiring diagram?

Like the man said, we don't need no stinkin' diagrams.

You power two of the leads from your incoming 240 line via
a fused knife switch, and take the 3~ off all three wires.

And like he said, a dropout contactor is a nice idea.

Jim

Ill try just it. Ive got a nice 10hp in my motor pile. I assume that
I have to spin it up to data plate rpm? Which is better, a 1725 or
3600 rpm motor? And what is a drop out contactor and how does it
work?

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann
Eric R Snow

On 26 Aug 2004 09:15:46 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

[...]

What you need to do Jim is connect the power also to an
electromagnetic lock on the door. That way, as long as the RPC has
power the door cannot be opened. Keeps people out too. You know, can't
stop in the middle of a cut so you can't shut off the power. Come back
later when I'm finished. Mebbe get you out of a chore or two. Then
again, mebbe not...
ERS
Robert Swinney

Jim sez:
"... or a big red light in parallel with the drive."

Better yet a 110V, 7-1/2W night lamp wired across the manufactured phase.
Yeah, I said, 110V night lamp because they are cheap, so don't forget the 2k
Ohm, 10W, series dropping resistor. Mine is glued to the inside bottom of
the 3-phase start-switch box. The night light is contained in a nice socket
on the wall along side the start box, so it comes on with the RPC.

Bob Swinney

"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

Robert Swinney

Gunner sez:
" Ill try just it. Ive got a nice 10hp in my motor pile. I assume that I
have to spin it up to data plate rpm? Which is better, a 1725 or 3600 rpm
motor?"

Immaterial, my good man! Pretty much, anyway. Some say the 1725 rpm
machine is quieter. You don't have to spin it up to "name plate" speed --
just a good pull on the rope will do it, but have something set up so's you
can switch on the power soon after spin up. In other words, don't walk
across the pasture to the switch, or the spin will be all gone before you
get there!

Bob Swinney

"Gunner" wrote in message
On 26 Aug 2004 09:10:49 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

Got a wiring diagram?

Like the man said, we don't need no stinkin' diagrams.

You power two of the leads from your incoming 240 line via
a fused knife switch, and take the 3~ off all three wires.

And like he said, a dropout contactor is a nice idea.

Jim

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Ill try just it. Ive got a nice 10hp in my motor pile. I assume that
I have to spin it up to data plate rpm? Which is better, a 1725 or
3600 rpm motor? And what is a drop out contactor and how does it
work?

Anecdotal evidence suggests the slower motor is better. I've never
seen anyone do this with a motor that runs slower than 1725 though.
I would steer away from the 3600.

A drop-out contactor is simply a large three-pole relay that
take the place of (or is in series with, for you belt-and-suspenders
types) the knife switch.

The coil to pull that relay in is operated with a start/stop
pushbutton ciricuit - best is if the coil is 240 volt, so one
end of the coil goes to one incoming line, then it goes
to a normally closed pushbutton, and then to one of the outgoing
(load side) terminals of the relay, on the other phase.

The load is switched by two dedicated contacts, it's the third one
that runs the coil itself. Then you put a normally closed
pushbutton across that third contact set on the relay.

So the drill is, load is off, coil is off. When you push the
'start' button (normally open one) it engerizes the relay briefly,
and the contacts suck in. At that point you can take your hand
off the button because the third set of contacts are now closed,
and provide juice to energize the coil.

Normally you turn the thing off by briefly interrupting current in
the coil with the normally closed button.

But if there's a power dip, the relay drops out - and will not
suck back in until you hit the start button again. All the newer
hardinge stuff is wired this way - try it. Start up the spindle,
and leave the levers on 'run' while you unplug or otherwise
disconnect the machine. When you plug it back in, the machine will
not start until you hit the go button the electrical box.

This is now an OSHA requirement for all moving machinery - the idea
is that the spindle should not start unexpectedly after a power fail,
if the machine is left on 'run.' I had to go and put contactors
like that on all our shop equipment - grinder, drill press, etc.

Though, now that the drill press is VFD driven, they have a "no
restart" feature built in.

And btw if you do implement this, be sure to *fuse* the contactor
circuit appropriately. Most times the wiring is number 16 gage
or so, and it should have a fuse rated for much less than the 20
amp branch circuit rating!

Jim

please reply to:
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
Are the motors truly in parallel? As in; all three legs of one motor
connected to all three legs of the other motor? If so, you should see some

They are both on the same contactor and start at the same time.
However they are connected together before the overload controls.
One contactor suppling power to seperate "heaters" for each motor.
The third wire of the static converter connects to the third
wire of the motors through the heaters. Seems like the logical
way to wire it (at least to me).

I could connect the third legs together before the heaters, but
I really don't think that would make any difference.

I see no current in the third leg with a clamp on ampmeter after
the motors have started. The voltage in the third leg is 208 and 224
with respect to the other two legs. I guess there is no current because
the voltage is low.

Where are you applying the clamp-on ammeter? If between the
junction of the two motors' wires and the static converter, there
*should* be no current once the motors are started.

However, if you clamp around one or the other of the motors, you
should see some current at least. (Mostly the amount would be based on
the horsepower and the loading of the smaller motor.) Perhaps if both
motors are equally lightly loaded, they are each generating about the
same voltage for the third phase, and as a result, are generating very
little current between them. Put a serious load on one motor or the
other and see whether there is a visible upswing in the current.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

Hey Gunner,

I was going to use a 20HP motor too. I kicked it into gear with a
pony motor, and it was drawing 80 plus amps. I've settled for a
7-1/2HP, which is still drawing 20 or so.-

Gack!!

Maybe Ill use a 10 hp.

If you take the time to tune the 20 HP converter for better
balance, and once that is done, you start adding capacitance across the
240 feed from the wall, you will eventually reach a point at which the
current is at a minimum, where more capacitance will increase the
current again.

Note that the extra current will not cost you anything (other
than nuisance trips on the circuit breaker) -- *if* you are on a
residential feed. If you were on a commercial feed, they could (and
probably would) charge you based on the reactive current. But if you
were on a commercial feed, you probably would also have three-phase
power available and not need to make a rotary phase converter.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:27:16 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
calmly ranted:

"Gunner" wrote in message

Only problem is..they are about 7fd. Not sure what they can be used

SEVEN FARAD, not microfarad, Bob. To test, don't you hook
'em up across a wall outlet then check with the leads
on either side of your tongue? If it zaps, it's good?
(Kids: don't try this at home.)

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Old Nick

On 26 Aug 2004 09:22:39 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

In article , Old Nick says...

I did some reading. I remember now what my reservation was. While you
can throw plenty into the RPC, they are not good at allowing the
driven motor to produce full power.

This is news to me. Where did you read that? For a reasonably
sized rotary converter (at least 50% larger than the driven
motor) you can develop full hp on the driven motor.

D'OH. Now I have to find it again! G

I do take your and Don's point that the big muvva idea and some tuning
sound OK. It would appear that I was getting muxed ip with the static
converter.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html

"The static converter is basically only a start circuit that once the
motor starts, disengages and lets the motor run on single phase power.
The disadvantage of this method is that the motor winding currents
will be very unbalanced and the motor will not be able to run above
about two-thirds its rated horsepower. The rotary converter provides
current in all 3 phases and although not perfect, will allow a motor
to provide all or nearly all its rated horsepower. If the motor has a
service factor of 1.15 to 1.25 then you should be able to use full
rated horsepower. The service factor can be found on the motor
nameplate and is usually abbreviated S.F. "

http://www.deselectric.com/
"Either a static converter or rotary phase converter can make it
possible to run a three phase motor on single phase power. The Static
Phase Converter does not actually generate three phase but only starts
an electric motor and then allows the motor to operate on only two of
the three windings in the motor. This being the case, the motor
then is running at 2/3 of its rated Hp.

A Rotary Phase Converter does provide full rated three phase power to
operate equipment without this loss of Hp. Rotary Converters are
always the best way to go, if you size them correctly for the
application."

Apart from that, I can remember discussions here about it.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

Old Nick

On 25 Aug 2004 13:18:31 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I have to admit that http://www.deselectric.com/rotarypanels 's prices
are quite surprising, if you use a free or very cheap 3PH motor that
you supply.

As far as I can tell they design to suit your motor, and the price for
a panel is it.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

jim rozen

In article , Old Nick says...

I do take your and Don's point that the big muvva idea and some tuning
sound OK. It would appear that I was getting muxed ip with the static
converter.

I sort of suspected that. The thing is, most of the techies
here (and that is not a derogatory term) love to do stuff the
*right* way, the best way. And they have the design princples
down to an iota for rotary converters like that.

The deal is though, if you simply oversize the idler motor
a lot, you don't need to do any tuning or power factor
correction at all, if you are only running a couple of
1 hp or so machines in your shop.

In my case it's a five hp idler that runs small machines,
and there's no tuning or fancyness involved.

Sure you can run the same machines on a two hp idler motor,
but once again, the 5 or or so hp motors seem to be easier
to come by for free, at least around here.

Jim

please reply to:
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:13:59 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
calmly ranted:

Errr, welll, yesss - I saw that they were 7 farad. I just wanted to see if
gunner would bring down the grid.

Grid? Oh, you must mean ex-Governor Davis's fine, triple-priced
CA electrical grid. Gotcha. No, he'll just have to saw off some
of the cap height so they measure up, er, down.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 25 Aug 2004 13:18:31 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I have to admit that http://www.deselectric.com/rotarypanels 's prices
are quite surprising, if you use a free or very cheap 3PH motor that
you supply.

The prices are not bad for what appears to be in a converter
based on the (rather too small) image on the front page. There are
enough capacitors in there so they appear to be tuning the converter --
at least for a typical example of the motor which you specify.

I'm sure that by careful scrounging you could beat that price,
but it saves a lot of time and scrounging, and it looks as though it is
quite well done. (Except that I'm not clear how the capacitors are
mounted in the housing. The two banks at the bottom seem to be clamped
in with bars across each layer of caps. But I can't see enough to be
sure how they are doing it with the ones up top -- at least some of
which are probably the starting caps.

Looking at the terminals on that horizontal bar across the
middle, I suspect that this is one of the larger of their products --
for a 20 HP or larger idler motor.

As far as I can tell they design to suit your motor, and the price for
a panel is it.

As long as you can find a suitable motor locally, that would be
it. (I'm not sure what their shipping costs would be, but since it
appears to be a steel housing, they might be significant -- especially
for you. (Unless they are located in OZ. I didn't think to check that
while I was there.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Dan Caster

If you can't find cheap three phase motors, you probably are not
looking in the right places. Try the scrap yards. I mean the yards
that supply steel scrap to steel mills. Not salvage yards.

As far as looking at a motor generator, have you considered using a
three phase induction generator?

Dan

Old Nick wrote in message

Seriously, I did, and have experienced a lot of the same pricing
troubles and problems with the RPC idea that you have and so I still
want to keep looking at the motor-gen idea.

I have looked for surplus motors to build a phase converter but
frankly I have not found the oasis where they are available for cheap.
The shipping costs are usually the killer.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

Jerry Martes

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Old Nick says...

[...]

I have a little dyno with which I can measure the efects of changing idler
size on a 3 phase motor's ability to deliver power.
The improvement in "tool motor power delivering ability" is almost
undetectable for NO idler or for an idler 1 1/2 times tool motor HP when
the tool motor is loaded up to 2/3 of its name plate Max HP.

It impressed me that the 3 HP 3 phase motor that I use produces 3 HP at
1725 RPM to the load even when fed from single phase without idler.

It is probably obvious to those who have thought about it, that a heavily
loaded (near full name plate HP) 3 phase motor does run alot smoother when
it is fed thru a big-big idler.

It might be concluded that 3 phase motors that arent loaded heavily for
long periods can be run from single phase without an idler. But, a 3 phase
motor will produce its full name plate HP even when fed single phase with no
idler.

Jerry

Gary Coffman

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:44:47 GMT, "Jerry Martes" wrote:
It might be concluded that 3 phase motors that arent loaded heavily for
long periods can be run from single phase without an idler.

Right, though they can't start on 1 ph. You need either a rotary converter,
a static converter, or a pony motor to start the 3 ph motor. It also won't run
smoothly on 1 ph power because torque will go through zero twice a cycle.

But, a 3 phase
motor will produce its full name plate HP even when fed single phase with no
idler.

It may, for a short period, but it will be drawing current in excess of its ratings
on the driven phase. A 3 ph motor driven by 3 ph power has its current divided
3 ways. In other words, its windings are sized to each handle 1/3rd of its rated
power. If you try to draw full nameplate HP from it while it is driven by 1 ph
power, the driven windings will be overloaded.

That's why there's a rule of thumb that a rotary converter needs to be sized
1.5 times the HP of the load motor, so the driven windings of the rotary converter
aren't overloaded when delivering full 3 ph power to the load motor.

Example, 1 HP load motor should be driven by a 1.5 HP rotary converter,
0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.5, so that the current drawn by the load motor, 1/3 +
1/3 + 1/3 = 1 is the same as the maximum permissable 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 of
the two driven windings of the rotary.

Of course the rotary does the *transformation* from 0.5 + 0.5 to 1/3 +
1/3 + 1/3 by its rotary transformer action. But the key concept is that
power in must equal power out no matter how it is transformed, and
the currents must not overload any windings in the process.

Gary

Gary Coffman

On 26 Aug 2004 00:26:56 -0400, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
In article ,
Gunner wrote:
Got a wiring diagram? Ive got a 20hp 3600rpm Western Electric waiting
to be turned into a RPC. Pony motors Ive got by the score.

*What* wiring diagram? Switch power to two windings of the
idler motor, and to the single-phase pony motor to spin it up, then
switch off the pony after it has thrown its belt. (Based on what I
remember of Jim's setup.) Wire the three windings of the idler to the
three inputs of the target tool.

Bad plan. Spin it up, *then* throw power to the rotary. With your
wiring scheme, you'd face a starting surge of well over 800 amps.
By spinning it up to nameplate RPM first, there will be no monster
starting surge when you throw power to the rotary.

Throwing belts isn't a very good idea either. Just kill power to the
pony once the rotary is started. It'll just freewheel then, with only
a small amount of extra windage drag over the windage of the
big rotary itself.

This is how I have my 20 HP rotary set up. The biggest single
load motor it ever sees is the 7.5 HP motor in my lathe, which
gives it plenty of headroom since it is capable of driving a 13.3
HP motor (20/1.5).

Ideal 100% efficiency current draw with that load should be 23.28
amps. Real world, it runs off a 30A motor rated breaker with no
nuisance trips. Of course I did tune it, and use power factor
correction caps. Without them, it'd need a much larger breaker.

At first, I had it wired your way, and it blew a 50A breaker every
time I tried to start it up. Based on my research, I now know it
would have blown the 200A main breaker if I'd wired it straight
to the main. Uncontrolled starting surge on a 20 HP motor is
*fierce*. By spinning it up with the pony first, I've eliminated that
huge starting surge.

Gary
jim rozen

In article P6yXc.1002$yP4.369@trnddc08, Jerry Martes says...

It impressed me that the 3 HP 3 phase motor that I use produces 3 HP at
1725 RPM to the load even when fed from single phase without idler.

This is an unexpected, yet fascinating result. It may be that
the hp ratings on some motors is fairly conservatve ("anti-sears
power rating...") which could account for some of this.

I wonder if the same 3 hp motor would actually do 4, if it were
run on utility 3~?

Jim

please reply to:
Robert Swinney

Right Gary! You explained it very well: "It may, for a short period, but
it will be drawing current in excess of its ratings on the the driven
phase" -- and further, when you said, "If you try to draw full nameplate HP
from it while it is driven by 1 ph
power, the driven windings will be overloaded."

This apparent ability to produce full power on "2/3 of a motor" is a
function of the motor's service factor. Surely a motor driven to full name
plate output on 2/3's of windings will draw excessive input current,
eventually overheating to failure..

Bob Swinney

wrote:
[...]

Jerry Martes

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article P6yXc.1002$yP4.369@trnddc08, Jerry Martes says...

It impressed me that the 3 HP 3 phase motor that I use produces 3 HP at
1725 RPM to the load even when fed from single phase without idler.

This is an unexpected, yet fascinating result. It may be that
the hp ratings on some motors is fairly conservatve ("anti-sears
power rating...") which could account for some of this.

I wonder if the same 3 hp motor would actually do 4, if it were
run on utility 3~?

Jim

Jim

All the 3 pjase motors I've tested will produce more than their name
plate rated HP when fed good 3 phase. A 3 HP motor will deliver 5 HP to the
load when fed good 3 phase. It does get exactly as much hotter as you'd
guess so you'd want to put an external fan on it.
Heating of the motor is the principal factor that limits the amount of
power that an induction motor can safely deliver. That could be improved by
external fans and aditional heat sinks. Since the motor conducts heat away
from the windings thru its frame, the entire frame becomes a significant
factor in determining the max power rating. The 2/3 name plate HP 'rule of
thumb' for guessing at the max power available from a 3 phase motor, fed
single phase, must be altered to allow the fact that the heat sink and fan
is working as though it is a 3/3 HP motor.

It might be interesting to note that many 3 phase motors that are used in
Rec Craft applications are often commercial tool motors that will not be
loaded to their original ratings so the need for producing 'good 3 phase' is
often misunderstood.

A tool motor can easily spun up with an idler much smaller than the tool
motor's name plate HP, contrary to the implication that Big idlers are
needed. Most tools that use 3 phase motors can be unloaded while being
started, so even a switch and capacitor can spin up most 3 phase tools.

As I noted above, the 3 phase motor will provide the load with very nearly
the same HP when fed either single phase or 3 phase, when the motor is
loaded to only 1/2 its name plate HP. At those "lightly loaded" conditions,
I've been unable to descern the difference between the performance of the 3
phase motor fed either 3 phase or single phase.
The instanteous loss of torque every 1/120th of a second exist in either a
single phase motor or a 3 phase motor fed single phase. That "pulsing"
doesnt become measurable when the motor is loaded to less than about 3/4 its
rated HP. For loads under about 3/4 its name plate rated HP (2 1/4 HP for
a 3 HP motor) a 3 phase motor fed single benefits little from the use of in
idler. The pulsing is probably the first noticable result of having no
idler (or small idler) when using single phase to drive a heavily loaded 3
phase motor.

I plotted (with Excel) the HP vs RPM for the 3 HP 3 phase motor, fed
single phase, with a 5 HP idler and with no idler. I'll send you a copy if
you'd want to see it..

Jerry

DoN. Nichols

Gunner wrote:
Got a wiring diagram? Ive got a 20hp 3600rpm Western Electric waiting
to be turned into a RPC. Pony motors Ive got by the score.

*What* wiring diagram? Switch power to two windings of the
idler motor, and to the single-phase pony motor to spin it up, then
switch off the pony after it has thrown its belt. (Based on what I
remember of Jim's setup.) Wire the three windings of the idler to the
three inputs of the target tool.

Bad plan. Spin it up, *then* throw power to the rotary. With your
wiring scheme, you'd face a starting surge of well over 800 amps.
By spinning it up to nameplate RPM first, there will be no monster
starting surge when you throw power to the rotary.

Agreed.

Throwing belts isn't a very good idea either. Just kill power to the
pony once the rotary is started. It'll just freewheel then, with only
a small amount of extra windage drag over the windage of the
big rotary itself.

I don't *advise* throwing the belt -- it is just the way that I
remember Jim Rozen describing in the past how he used his, and since the
original question was about the wiring and use of his setup, that is
what I described as well as my memory allowed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

Errr, welll, yesss - I saw that they were 7 farad. I just wanted to see if
gunner would bring down the grid.

As three generators at Hoover Dam stall and half of CA goes dark...

StevenUrkel

"Did I do that??"

/StevenUrkel

;-)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Old Nick

On 26 Aug 2004 20:06:25 -0700, (Dan Caster) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you can't find cheap three phase motors, you probably are not
looking in the right places. Try the scrap yards. I mean the yards
that supply steel scrap to steel mills. Not salvage yards.

Actually I just a 30" circular saw that I am going to drive from my
tractor, and it has a 6hp 3PH motor attached, which I don;t need. I
also remembered I have a 3PH motor in the other shed. However that
one's 20 HP! and I believe they suck juice just to run.

As far as looking at a motor generator, have you considered using a
three phase induction generator?

eerrr..no? G

I will chase it up. This will probably start a whole new _chain_ of
back and forths. I think I saw some before about these.

Dan

Old Nick wrote in message

Seriously, I did, and have experienced a lot of the same pricing
troubles and problems with the RPC idea that you have and so I still
want to keep looking at the motor-gen idea.

I have looked for surplus motors to build a phase converter but
frankly I have not found the oasis where they are available for cheap.
The shipping costs are usually the killer.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.
Gunner

wrote:

Errr, welll, yesss - I saw that they were 7 farad. I just wanted to see if
gunner would bring down the grid.

As three generators at Hoover Dam stall and half of CA goes dark...

StevenUrkel

"Did I do that??"

/StevenUrkel

;-)

But really..what the dickens are those caps good for? Ive got a number
of them.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Old Nick

On 26 Aug 2004 16:31:22 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Now you see, _this_ is where the idea of a normal old 1 PH motor or 2
driving an alternator start to kick in again....G?)

So. I have a 20HP motor...3PH. If I ran it up to speed, using a pony,
I can then expect 80 amps, until I get it tuned? I just don't HAVE 80
Amps.

Apparently running these things unbalanced is a lot messier than
running them on the right no of phases.

Once tuned, what current would it use? How much more would it use than
say, a 10HP 3PH as an idler, in and of itself (not under load). If I
have some idea of that, then I can say well, I need so much dfor idle,
and so much for the actual load.

Thing is, the reason I would go to 3PH was grunt. A lot of what I see
here is 3ph motors om lathes but only a couple of HP, so a 5 HP idler
is plenty.

My 220 Amp 1PH MIG draws 15 amps 240V (solid) at 220Amps. That's 4 HP.
So a 350-400 3PH welder would draw maybe 8 HP. I am therefore looking
for a 12-15 HP idler? As I say I have a 20HP, but am worried about the
sheer power to run it on 1PH.

[...]

Steve Smith

Gunner wrote:

But really..what the dickens are those caps good for? Ive got a number
of them.

Gunner

The obvious reply--put them on Ebay.

Steve
Steve Smith

Jerry Martes wrote:

All the 3 pjase motors I've tested will produce more than their name

plate rated HP when fed good 3 phase. A 3 HP motor will deliver 5 HP to the
load when fed good 3 phase. It does get exactly as much hotter as you'd
guess so you'd want to put an external fan on it.
Heating of the motor is the principal factor that limits the amount of
power that an induction motor can safely deliver. That could be improved by
external fans and aditional heat sinks. Since the motor conducts heat away
from the windings thru its frame, the entire frame becomes a significant
factor in determining the max power rating. The 2/3 name plate HP 'rule of
thumb' for guessing at the max power available from a 3 phase motor, fed
single phase, must be altered to allow the fact that the heat sink and fan
is working as though it is a 3/3 HP motor.

Jerry, I have a hard time believing a bigger fan will get you very far.
If this were true, motor manufacturers would do it, especially on Sears
compressors. I'm sure extra air will get you somewhere, but before long
the hot spot will move inside the windings, where your fan can't reach.
Extra air (and lower than rated ambient temps) might get you 10-20%
(just a guess), but not 50-100% continuous duty. Intermittent, sure.

A tool motor can easily spun up with an idler much smaller than the tool
motor's name plate HP, contrary to the implication that Big idlers are
needed. Most tools that use 3 phase motors can be unloaded while being
started, so even a switch and capacitor can spin up most 3 phase tools.

I agree. I've started an unloaded 20HP motor using a 7.5HP rotary
converter. My gear head mill, on the other hand (significant starting
torque needed) was a 1HP motor and needed a 3HP idler in my rpc. 2HP
wouldn't start it in the high speeds.

Steve
Dan Caster

You don't have to chase it up. I will tell you about induction
generators.
They are just that same three phase motor that you would use for a RPC
, but with that big single phase motor driving it and one leg of the
three phase motor connected to the single phase power. When you do
this it is easiest (in my opinion ) to use a belt drive with one of
the pulleys being one that can be varied in size. And you adjust the
drive so that the single phase motor is trying to drive the three
phase motor a little faster than synchronous speed. In doing that
you are putting in mechonical energy into the three phase motor and it
comes out as electrical three phase power. When ( and if ) you do
this measure the input current of the three phase motor and adjust the
variable pulley so that the input current is close to the rated input
current while driving whatever it is you want to drive with the three
phase power .

This needs no special start up circuits and no protection circuits in
case you lose the single phase power and it comes back up. It can be
further tuned with caps to reduce the imaginary current and therefore
the size of wire and circuit breaker on the single phase power. In my
opinion this is the best way to get three phase power that is the same
frequency as the single phase power. If you want variable frequency
to control the speed of a motor, use a VFD.

Induction generators will work driven by a gasolene engine and not
connected to the single phase line but that is a bit trickier. They
will also work with a single phase motor and a gasolene engine. Again
trickier ( needs the correct amount of caps across the line and maybe
some DC voltage to get it started.

Dan