Dan Caster

The Baldor is rated at 1.5 hp, but unless you are using it the motor
is not going to draw much current. The better the motor the less
current it will draw.
Dan

(Charles A. Sherwood) wrote in message ...
I recently bought a 1.5HP 3ph Baldor 10 inch grinder with 1/2HP 3Ph
dust collector.

I connected them to a Phase-a-matic static phase converter; They
start and run ok, but they do seem to draw a bit more current
running on single phase than 3phase.

I figured that the big grinder would act like a rotary phase
converter for the dust collector, but I don't see any current
in the third leg with a clamp on ampmeter.

Input is L1 and L2. I measure
L1:L3 208V
L2:L3 224V

Should I experiement with some run caps or just leave it alone?

Another interesting fact is that the baldor grinder is rated
1.5 HP but FL current is 2.5 amps. I have 1.5HP on my rockwell
mill and that motor is rated 4.6 amps. Is baldor guiltly
of over rating like sears?

chuck