James Baker

Default free rotary phase converter in Seattle

I'm cleaning up my shop and I have a homemade rotary phase converter built
around a 15 HP motor. I used it for 10 years on a Bridgeport BOSS IV CNC
mill without a problem. I now have three phase from the power company so I
no longer need this.

It has electronics that start the motor through capacitors then disconnect
the capacitors, wait a few seconds, and energize the load through a relay.
There are no "ballancing" capacitors but it doesn't need them. The three
legs stay withing a couple volts of each other. It has digital voltmeters
on each output phase.

I ran it from 240 VAC single phase through a 50 Amp breaker. It probably
needs new motor-run capacitors (about 200 microfarads at 330 VAC). The
last few times I used it the capacitors sort of "gurgled" at startup. Also
the motor is missing the shroud that directs airflow from the motor's
impeller so the motor eventually overheats. I ran a box fan blowing on the
motor but a more elegant solution would be a new shroud. It has a smoke
detector to shut down the whole thing in case of smoke or fire.

I'm just north of downtown Seattle off Dexter Street. If you live in the
area and want to come by and pick up this thing email me.
Dave Baker

Subject: free rotary phase converter in Seattle
From: (James Baker)
Date: 22/05/04 07:55 GMT Daylight Time
[...]

Have you seen how much those things sell for commercially? I would have thought
you could get $1000 for it.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Next time someone insults you remember it takes 12 muscles to smile politely
and try to pass it off but only 4 to reach out your arm and slap the ****.
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , James Baker
wrote:

[...]

I'll take it James.
I have a large drillpress that needs one.