DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   phase converter questions (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/66481-phase-converter-questions.html)

Charles A. Sherwood August 24th 04 08:25 PM

phase converter questions

I recently bought a 1.5HP 3ph Baldor 10 inch grinder with 1/2HP 3Ph
dust collector.

I connected them to a Phase-a-matic static phase converter; They
start and run ok, but they do seem to draw a bit more current
running on single phase than 3phase.

I figured that the big grinder would act like a rotary phase
converter for the dust collector, but I don't see any current
in the third leg with a clamp on ampmeter.

Input is L1 and L2. I measure
L1:L3 208V
L2:L3 224V

Should I experiement with some run caps or just leave it alone?

Another interesting fact is that the baldor grinder is rated
1.5 HP but FL current is 2.5 amps. I have 1.5HP on my rockwell
mill and that motor is rated 4.6 amps. Is baldor guiltly
of over rating like sears?

chuck

Dan Caster August 25th 04 04:17 AM

The Baldor is rated at 1.5 hp, but unless you are using it the motor
is not going to draw much current. The better the motor the less
current it will draw.
Dan

Robert Swinney August 25th 04 04:49 AM

With a static phase converter, zero current in the third leg is normal
(after the brief starting interval) when you are running a 3 phase machine
on single phase current. The third leg is only intergized for starting.
After start-up the motor runs as a single phase machine with current through
2 of its 3 sets of windings.

Bob Swinney

Old Nick August 25th 04 03:50 PM

On 24 Aug 2004 19:25:25 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

PMFJI

Why is a rotary phase convert better than a 3-phase alternator driven
by a high-current single phase motor?

RPCs seem complex and prone to all sorts of vagaries (with SPC even
more so). Why not obtain high current 1 PH power, or several sources
of 1 PH power, and run a motor that runs a 3-phase alternator?
Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so
that neither of them can do what they want to because
of the other one.

Pete Bergstrom August 25th 04 05:08 PM

"Old Nick" wrote in message
Why is a rotary phase convert better than a 3-phase alternator driven
by a high-current single phase motor?

First reason is complexity. Second is efficiency, I'd imagine, though I'm
not an expert.

RPCs seem complex and prone to all sorts of vagaries (with SPC even
more so). Why not obtain high current 1 PH power, or several sources
of 1 PH power, and run a motor that runs a 3-phase alternator?

You think this is simpler than an RPC? I built an RPC from plans on the 'net
a few weeks ago, and it was a *lot* simpler than I'd thought. I wouldn't
want to bother with a generator setup unless I really had no other choice.

Pete

Robert Swinney August 25th 04 06:23 PM

Pete sez:

"You think this is simpler than an RPC? I built an RPC from plans on the
'net a few weeks ago, and it was a *lot* simpler than I thought. I wouldn't
want to bother with a generator setup unless I really had no other choice."

Right on, Pete! Also, it is a lot easier to find surplus 3-phase motors for
conversion to RPCs than it is to find alternators. Alternators should be
driven at a constant speed, regardless of load - not an easy thing.
Alternators need a separate source of direct current for magnetic
excitation - also adding to the complexity. Granted, alternators can be
"permanent magnet", eliminating the need for excitation power, but those
types, AFAIK, are not readily available or cost efficient in smaller sizes.
The only example I can think of might be a welding/AC supply "generator"
that outputs 3-phase 220v AC. Again, not nearly as economical as a RPC.
IMO, the only justification for an alternator would be if there was no
commercial power available.

Bob Swinney

"Pete Bergstrom" wrote in message
. ..

Pete Bergstrom August 25th 04 06:38 PM

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Pete sez:

"You think this is simpler than an RPC? I built an RPC from plans on the
'net a few weeks ago, and it was a *lot* simpler than I thought. I

wouldn't
want to bother with a generator setup unless I really had no other

choice."

Right on, Pete! Also, it is a lot easier to find surplus 3-phase motors

for
conversion to RPCs than it is to find alternators. Alternators should be

In addition to the RPC plan I used
(http://www.frugalmachinist.com/rpc.html), I'll also recommend Bob's article
in Home Shop Machinist Nov-Dec 2001 "Induction Motors and Rotary Phase
Converters". I bought the back issue as part of my research.

I had originally planned to buy a VFD, but since my mill also has a coolant
pump I ended up building the RPC to power it.

Charles A. Sherwood August 25th 04 08:00 PM

The Baldor is rated at 1.5 hp, but unless you are using it the motor
is not going to draw much current. The better the motor the less
current it will draw.

Well if you do the math 2.5amps @ 240V 3 ph is
2.5*240*1.7 = 1000 watts. No way is that 1.5HP.

Charles A. Sherwood August 25th 04 08:04 PM

With a static phase converter, zero current in the third leg is normal
(after the brief starting interval) when you are running a 3 phase machine
on single phase current. The third leg is only intergized for starting.

But in this case I have two motors in parallel. The big 1.5HP grinder
motor and the little 1/2 HP blower. The big grinder motor is pretty
much unloaded and the the blower motor which is always loaded because
it is moving lots of air. I expected to see some current in the third
leg but I don't see any.

chuck

Charles A. Sherwood August 25th 04 08:07 PM

Why is a rotary phase convert better than a 3-phase alternator driven
by a high-current single phase motor?

Its cheaper, simpler, and smaller.
But I still think the alternator will generate more balanced 3ph power.

Charles A. Sherwood August 25th 04 08:18 PM

conversion to RPCs than it is to find alternators. Alternators should be
driven at a constant speed, regardless of load - not an easy thing.

Not all the hard. There are governors on industrial engines that do
it well. Even the consumer quality generators do a pretty decent job
of it.

Alternators need a separate source of direct current for magnetic
excitation - also adding to the complexity.

Modern brushless alternators have the excitor built in and will
be self starting and self exciting. Some require an external
regulator which uses a tiny amount of generated AC to power the field.
For example the field on my 15KW unit is 30VDC at 1 amp. This
tiny control voltage is produced by the bassler regulator which
is powered by the alternator itself.

jim rozen August 25th 04 09:18 PM

In article , Old Nick says...

RPCs seem complex and prone to all sorts of vagaries

You have to understand that most of the designs you
see are highly optimized. Using an oversized idler
motor that is started with a pony motor means you
don't need any power factor correction, no balancing,
and no starting circuitry.

It gets built for free, runs forever, and never
has to be thought about. Example is the patented
"jim's stone age converter" seen he

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

Your idea of using a large single phase motor to power an
excited field 3~ alternator is in principle the best way
to do this.

However because hardly anyone ever actually purchases a 3~ alternator
in the 5 hp range, and likewise 5 hp single phase motors, the
trouble is that those two things are incredibly expensive and never
available on the surplus market.

5 to 10 hp three phase motors on the other hand are literally
given away for scrap value on a regular basis. Likewise the small
1/4 hp pony motors to start the thing.

Folks build what they can afford, and what works. If you advocate
the more correct design, be prepared to put your wallet into the
breech to implement it. At the end of the day, nobody will be
able to tell the difference between the power on your wires, and
the power on my wires.

Your wires will wind up costing well over $1K. Mine are under
ten bucks.

Jim

please reply to:

Charles A. Sherwood August 25th 04 10:45 PM

[...]

I assume you are refering to me because I proposed the motor
driving alternator design a while back. (but you quoted someone else)

I have looked for surplus motors to build a phase converter but
frankly I have not found the oasis where they are available for cheap.
The shipping costs are usually the killer.

One of the reasons I proposed building a motor alternator setup
is exactly what you quote above. I already have the alternator
and a 5HP motor to drive it. So to me it is cheap.

I started experimenting with a static phase converter because I
found a used one and a couple people here stated it would
be adequate for my needs. So far it seems to be working; but
running a 3ph motor on 2 windings rubs me the wrong way; Especially
when the run current in those two windings is higher than the
full load current spec of the motor.

Someday I will build that motor alternater setup and experiment
with it too. But for now, I got lots of projects ..

chuck

jim rozen August 25th 04 11:01 PM

In article , Charles A. Sherwood says...

I assume you are refering to me because I proposed the motor
driving alternator design a while back. (but you quoted someone else)

My comments were specific to Nick who proposed an *electrically*
driven alternator to create a three phase supply, instead of
a rotary converter.

I have looked for surplus motors to build a phase converter but
frankly I have not found the oasis where they are available for cheap.
The shipping costs are usually the killer.

One of the reasons I proposed building a motor alternator setup
is exactly what you quote above. I already have the alternator
and a 5HP motor to drive it. So to me it is cheap.

Obviously in your case the 'works well and is cheap'
approach to life says you should use what you have
available. I would do the same thing if I had a prime
mover available, and no other easy way to get an idler
motor.

I started experimenting with a static phase converter because I
found a used one and a couple people here stated it would
be adequate for my needs. So far it seems to be working; but
running a 3ph motor on 2 windings rubs me the wrong way; Especially
when the run current in those two windings is higher than the
full load current spec of the motor.

Be aware that not all of that is 'real' power. Do see
how much it really is consuming, you need to check the
phase angle or have a true rms wattmeter available. It
might not be as much as you think from an ampclamp check.

Someday I will build that motor alternater setup and experiment
with it too. But for now, I got lots of projects ..

I understand that! I think I'm in the same boat as you on
this.

Jim

please reply to:

Pete Bergstrom August 25th 04 11:02 PM

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

I have looked for surplus motors to build a phase converter but
frankly I have not found the oasis where they are available for cheap.
The shipping costs are usually the killer.

If you're in the Twin Cities (or nearby), Minnesota, I'll tell you where to
find a surplus motor. I got a 3HP GE motor for $30 (I countered a $50
original price, figuring that $10/hp was fair). It's running very nicely in
my garage.

The surplus store near my house (Axman) has 5HP motors for $200+, but
they're NOS rather than slightly used.

Pete

Robert Galloway August 26th 04 01:21 AM

Ever heard of a motor-generator where both functions were incorporated
onto one armature? Such things exist. A rotary phase converter is sort
of the same thing. It'll give you good, real, three phase power, unlike
a static. It can use a few caps to correct for power factor but is more
efficient of weight and materials than a separate motor driving a
generator. Seems like perhaps the old Lincoln DC welding supplies may
have been built this way (don't hold me to this).

rhg

Robert Galloway August 26th 04 01:31 AM

That's the way I understood your description in the first place and when
you said no current in the third leg, I figured I'd read it wrong. I
use a 2hp idler to run a 1/2 hp on an old lathe and there is current in
the third leg. If there were no current in the third leg, you couldn't
start a three phase motor off a rotary converter.
BTW, using the old rope start rotary converter, if you started the
converter in the wrong direction (who could be absent minded enough to
do that?) The load would also run in the wrong direction. The load
certainly found something to use in that third leg.

bob g.

Robert Swinney August 26th 04 02:05 AM

Are the motors truly in parallel? As in; all three legs of one motor
connected to all three legs of the other motor? If so, you should see some
3rd leg current between the motors. Is there a separate switch on the 1/2
HP motor? If they are in parallel you should be able to switch on and start
the 1/2 HP motor *after* the 1.5 HP motor is up to speed. The larger motor
will be generating some unbalanced 3-phase power by transformer action. It
is acting like an idler motor in a rotary phase converter configuration.

Bob Swinney

Old Nick August 26th 04 02:51 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 19:18:36 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Thanks for all the replies. I am interested because I see 3PH stuff
for peanuts, and single phase stuff is often limited in power.

conversion to RPCs than it is to find alternators. Alternators should be
driven at a constant speed, regardless of load - not an easy thing.

Not all the hard. There are governors on industrial engines that do
it well. Even the consumer quality generators do a pretty decent job
of it.

Alternators need a separate source of direct current for magnetic
excitation - also adding to the complexity.

Modern brushless alternators have the excitor built in and will
be self starting and self exciting. Some require an external
regulator which uses a tiny amount of generated AC to power the field.
For example the field on my 15KW unit is 30VDC at 1 amp. This
tiny control voltage is produced by the bassler regulator which
is powered by the alternator itself.

These were my thoughts, too. Alternators are available, and many have
themselves set up to generate power as bought. There certainly are
engines with governors that maintin a very good constant speed.

However, I have supply, but not 3PH. I was looking at using an
electric motor to drive the alternator to get 3PH.

The reason I see the alternator as better is that RPCs and VFDs seem
to have a rep for having trouble with load balance etc. The idea and
construction is simple, but they seem to be "picky". I have never used
one, but read a lot of stuff here about the problems getting them to
behave under various load conditions.

They also do not seem all that efficient, and seem to need a far
larger motor to act as the supply than the load.
I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

Old Nick August 26th 04 02:51 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 19:07:03 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Why is a rotary phase convert better than a 3-phase alternator driven
by a high-current single phase motor?

Its cheaper, simpler, and smaller.
But I still think the alternator will generate more balanced 3ph power.

AH. Thank you. That was my impression. See my other reply, posted
before I saw this one. Thanks.

Old Nick August 26th 04 02:57 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 13:18:31 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

In article , Old Nick says...

RPCs seem complex and prone to all sorts of vagaries

You have to understand that most of the designs you
see are highly optimized. Using an oversized idler
motor that is started with a pony motor means you
don't need any power factor correction, no balancing,
and no starting circuitry.

Ahah! OK. So simply throw grunt at the thing and avoid the fiddly
bits? That was something I had seen, but not understood (absorbed into
my soggy brain) the reason for, I think G

I agree about the lack of cheap/free 3PH alternators in the lower
ranges. They usually have a motor (fuel) attached. I did have the
opportunity yo buy one reasonably cheap. Did it work???? shrug. I
never went there, because I was not sure if my idea was the right way
to go.

It gets built for free, runs forever, and never
has to be thought about. Example is the patented
"jim's stone age converter" seen he

snip

Old Nick August 26th 04 02:59 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 21:45:26 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I assume you are refering to me because I proposed the motor
driving alternator design a while back. (but you quoted someone else)

Well if you're going to start fighting for glory...then so did I GG

Seriously, I did, and have experienced a lot of the same pricing
troubles and problems with the RPC idea that you have and so I still
want to keep looking at the motor-gen idea.

jim rozen August 26th 04 03:00 AM

In article , Robert Galloway says...

Ever heard of a motor-generator where both functions were incorporated
onto one armature? Such things exist.

Ah, the classic "dynamotor" of ww2 fame. My first radio had the
B+ supplied by one of those - with the 'primary' run off a
train transformer!

I wasn't sure if it was actually going to work, it seemed like
a whacky idea with this little thing screaming away at speed.
Then I touched the output terminals and got one heck of a
shock. Yep, it works!

Jim

please reply to:

Old Nick August 26th 04 03:02 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 15:01:18 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

In article , Charles A. Sherwood says...

I assume you are refering to me because I proposed the motor
driving alternator design a while back. (but you quoted someone else)

My comments were specific to Nick who proposed an *electrically*
driven alternator to create a three phase supply, instead of
a rotary converter.

I win! I win! GG

Obviously in your case the 'works well and is cheap'
approach to life says you should use what you have
available. I would do the same thing if I had a prime
mover available, and no other easy way to get an idler
motor.

AHereas I have to admit I do _not_ have the stuff available.

Someday I will build that motor alternater setup and experiment
with it too. But for now, I got lots of projects ..

I understand that! I think I'm in the same boat as you on
this.

Yes. My question also was not rhetorical, but is certainly theoretical
at present......some day...(sigh) :-

Old Nick August 26th 04 03:23 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 13:18:31 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I did some reading. I remember now what my reservation was. While you
can throw plenty into the RPC, they are not good at allowing the
driven motor to produce full power. I am wondering what happens to
welders etc. Welding is one area where I see real bargains for very
powerful MIGs etc. I have seen a MIG that gets 350A from 240 volt, but
it was a new model, brand new with a VERy "new" price!

Gunner August 26th 04 04:52 AM

wrote:

You have to understand that most of the designs you
see are highly optimized. Using an oversized idler
motor that is started with a pony motor means you
don't need any power factor correction, no balancing,
and no starting circuitry.

It gets built for free, runs forever, and never
has to be thought about. Example is the patented
"jim's stone age converter" seen he

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

Got a wiring diagram? Ive got a 20hp 3600rpm Western Electric waiting
to be turned into a RPC. Pony motors Ive got by the score.

Gunner, who was given a Hardinge DV-59 today. Disassembled but
complete....sigh

Anyone need any Federal air gauges? Got about a dozen of them G

Schaublin Lever action tailstock with built in collet holder in the
nose of the ram?

Scored today.... VBG)

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann

DoN. Nichols August 26th 04 05:09 AM

In article ,
Robert Galloway wrote:
Maybe my imagination but motors running under load on a static converter
seem to vibrate. My imagination? Anybody else?

Reasonable enough -- as you really running it purely from single
phase after it spins up to speed. The available torque goes through
zero twice per cycle (that is, at 1/120 of a second intervals in the
USA).

Real three phase -- or synthesized three phase from either a
rotary converter or a VFD does not, as when the torque from one phase is
approaching zero, another phase is approaching peak, and a third is just
past peak.

People who replace a three phase motor on a surface grinder with
a single phase motor notice a difference (degradation) in the resulting
finish.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols August 26th 04 05:17 AM

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On 25 Aug 2004 13:18:31 -0700, jim rozen
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I did some reading. I remember now what my reservation was. While you
can throw plenty into the RPC, they are not good at allowing the
driven motor to produce full power.

This is a problem with a "static" phase converter, but for a
reasonably sized rotary converter -- especially one which has been
tuned and balanced by tweaking capacitance on the windings -- you should
be able to get full power out of the driven motor.

I am wondering what happens to
welders etc. Welding is one area where I see real bargains for very
powerful MIGs etc. I have seen a MIG that gets 350A from 240 volt, but
it was a new model, brand new with a VERy "new" price!

No experience with this, but I can't see any serious reason to
expect problems running it from a RPC. Here, I am not sure what will
happen from a VFD -- given that you have a switching regulator
synthesizing the output of the VFD, and possibly another one converting
the input to the welder into DC, so they might interfere with each
other. (I would also expect similar problems running a typical computer
from a VFD, too.)

But welders (and computers) don't need the variable frequency,
so I see little reason for using a VFD for this.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols August 26th 04 05:26 AM

wrote:

You have to understand that most of the designs you
see are highly optimized. Using an oversized idler
motor that is started with a pony motor means you
don't need any power factor correction, no balancing,
and no starting circuitry.

It gets built for free, runs forever, and never
has to be thought about. Example is the patented
"jim's stone age converter" seen he

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2000_retired_files/Conv.jpg

Got a wiring diagram? Ive got a 20hp 3600rpm Western Electric waiting
to be turned into a RPC. Pony motors Ive got by the score.

*What* wiring diagram? Switch power to two windings of the
idler motor, and to the single-phase pony motor to spin it up, then
switch off the pony after it has thrown its belt. (Based on what I
remember of Jim's setup.) Wire the three windings of the idler to the
three inputs of the target tool.

You just need a larger idler than with a well tuned one, and
since you are not tuning for the power factor, you may blow circuit
breakers more often than you would like, depending on the size of the
idler motor.

You also might have problems running electronics from the
generated power if it is across the wild (generated) leg. If you can be
sure that all electronics are connected to the primary two input lines
from the power company, you should be fine.

Note, also, that this has *no* safety circuit to disconnect the
idler when the power fails, so when it comes back on, the motor will sit
there humming until it burns up, or trips the breaker. So *always* turn
it off when you walk away.

If *I* were going for a rotary, I would want the safety circuits,
self starting, and properly tuned to reduce the reactive current drawn
from the wall.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols August 26th 04 05:29 AM

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Robert Galloway says...

Ever heard of a motor-generator where both functions were incorporated
onto one armature? Such things exist.

Ah, the classic "dynamotor" of ww2 fame.

Yep. Somewhere around, I have something even closer to what is
being discussed. It is a DC input (28 VDC) 120 V 400 Hz three-phase
output (to drive old aircraft instruments). It screams, but it works.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Brian Lawson August 26th 04 05:57 AM

Hey Gunner,

I was going to use a 20HP motor too. I kicked it into gear with a
pony motor, and it was drawing 80 plus amps. I've settled for a
7-1/2HP, which is still drawing 20 or so.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Robert Swinney August 26th 04 02:34 PM

Gunner sez:
"Got a wiring diagram? Ive got a 20hp 3600rpm Western Electric waiting to
be turned into a RPC. Pony motors Ive got by the score."

Wiring, schmiring, Gunner! Get after it, dude. I think it could be started
with about 1400 microFarad of motor start caps, but that wouldn't be code,
now would it?

Bob Swinney

Robert Swinney August 26th 04 02:43 PM

Not to worry, Brian. That 20 amps you see with a clamp on meter is highly
reactive - meaning the real draw (voltage and current in phase) is much
less. Even a perfectly "balanced" 7-1/2 HP rotary will show 20 amps, or so,
reactive current in the 3rd leg when running unloaded. It's the nature of
the beast, so to speak. Same as with the 80 amps you saw on the 20 HP
motor - it was largely reactive current and had little bad effect, other
than heating up the wiring if you didn't take that into account.

Bob Swinney

Robert Swinney August 26th 04 02:45 PM

As did the transmitters of early 2-way radios. Ever wonder how they got
400+ volts of B-plus from a 6 volt car battery? Dynamotor that came on with
mash-to-talk.

Bob Swinney

Charles A. Sherwood August 26th 04 03:12 PM

Are the motors truly in parallel? As in; all three legs of one motor
connected to all three legs of the other motor? If so, you should see some

They are both on the same contactor and start at the same time.
However they are connected together before the overload controls.
One contactor suppling power to seperate "heaters" for each motor.
The third wire of the static converter connects to the third
wire of the motors through the heaters. Seems like the logical
way to wire it (at least to me).

I could connect the third legs together before the heaters, but
I really don't think that would make any difference.

I see no current in the third leg with a clamp on ampmeter after
the motors have started. The voltage in the third leg is 208 and 224
with respect to the other two legs. I guess there is no current because
the voltage is low.

3rd leg current between the motors. Is there a separate switch on the 1/2
HP motor? If they are in parallel you should be able to switch on and start
the 1/2 HP motor *after* the 1.5 HP motor is up to speed.

Probably could, but the motors are hard wired together.

Charles A. Sherwood August 26th 04 03:15 PM

Source of 3 ph alternator and price?

I found mine in the newspaper. I think he got them at an auction when
an importer was scrapping a bunch of stuff.

chuck