swarfmeister

Default Palmgren Rotary table

After making the mistake of purchasing an import RT from Kitts that
turned out to be rubish made in India I then bought a Vertex.
Unfortunately it has not turned out much better. Center hole is not
on center of table and there is play in the rotation that make this RT
unsuitable for close tolerance work. If +,- .003 were okay it would
be fine, but I am hoping to do a little better.

I have a small mill and unfortunately don't have room for a 10" Moore
or 9" Troyke. I am interested in the Palmgren 8" but have no way of
knowing if it is well made. I don't want to end up paying $500 for a
RT that is little better than the Vertex that I am displeased with.
Palmgren is pretty vague about tolerances on their website and the ads
from the retailers are no better.

Does anyone here own one and care to share their thoughts? Any
thoughts on 40 to 1 tables as opposed to 90 to 1? One thing I like
about the Palmgren on paper is its light weight, about 40 pounds for
an 8" table.

Thanks in advance, please reply to group
Swarfmeister
Eric R Snow

On 24 Aug 2004 09:08:07 -0700, (swarfmeister)
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't buy the palmgren one. I used one years ago and it wasn't
that good. Have you tried ebay? 90 to 1 takes a lot more cranking but
with a good table it is easier to get better accuracy. Also, control
of the feed iseasier with a 90:1 ratio. For my tables I made dial
extensions which screw to the face of the dial. The handle is removed
from the dial and attached to the extension which gives an effective
dial diameter of about 10 inches. If you have the clearance this helps
get really good finishes. As far as weight goes, all that extra weight
makes the table more rigid and able to absorb more vibration.
ERS
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I have two of the 8" Palmgrens. Both marked Craftsman. I like them
alot.

Id considered selling one at the upcoming festivities in Visalia.

I dont need three of them..(got a 10" RT with dividing plates as well)

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Wild Bill

I had one of the ones from India that wasn't well made (it looked like a RT
though), and I sold it when I found a good used Phase II 90:1 6" RT.
The India model was too rough to actually consider keeping, even as a
project to fix.

I haven't inspected the overall accuracy of the P2 with a test indicator,
but it's finished well and works smoothly. I don't know how old it is
(probably not more than 5 years), but it was pretty close to new condition
when I got it. A newly produced model might not be as well finished, since
most of the low end manufacturers are taking more shortcuts in production.
This P2 model has adjustments for the worm shaft end play, and another to
adjust the stop position for the rotational engagement of the worm.

http://www.phase2plus.com/

WB

"swarfmeister" wrote in message
om...
[...]

GJRepesh

Check out Yuasa. They have an 8" model. You can see them at the MSC website,
www.mscdirect.com. They are pricey so finding one used would be the way to go.
I have a buddy with a 10" model and he has no complaints.

I bought a 10" from Enco years ago. I haven't checked the specs. It has been
fine for my uses so far.

Gary Repesh

Charles A. Sherwood

turned out to be rubish made in India I then bought a Vertex.
Unfortunately it has not turned out much better. Center hole is not
on center of table and there is play in the rotation that make this RT
unsuitable for close tolerance work. If +,- .003 were okay it would
be fine, but I am hoping to do a little better.

I want a 6 inch RT for my rockwell mill. I was under the impression that
the vertex is better that the phase II, but now I wonder. Both are
about 200. So which is better?

xman Charlie

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
turned out to be rubish made in India I then bought a Vertex.
Unfortunately it has not turned out much better. Center hole is not
on center of table and there is play in the rotation that make this RT
unsuitable for close tolerance work. If +,- .003 were okay it would
be fine, but I am hoping to do a little better.

I want a 6 inch RT for my rockwell mill. I was under the impression that
the vertex is better that the phase II, but now I wonder. Both are
about 200. So which is better?

Buy them both...let us know....

xman

Randal O'Brian

I have had a Yuasa 6" table for many years. It has performed very well and
I recommend it. The Vertex is a cheap copy of the Yuasa.

see http://www.workholding.com/yuasarotab.html

Randy

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
turned out to be rubish made in India I then bought a Vertex.
Unfortunately it has not turned out much better. Center hole is not
on center of table and there is play in the rotation that make this RT
unsuitable for close tolerance work. If +,- .003 were okay it would
be fine, but I am hoping to do a little better.

I want a 6 inch RT for my rockwell mill. I was under the impression that
the vertex is better that the phase II, but now I wonder. Both are
about 200. So which is better?

I have limited space, need a table that will accomodate different tools that I can adjust to the height of my workbench Eugene Woodworking 9 August 13th 04 07:32 AM
Rotary table ID? tokarev Metalworking 1 May 20th 04 12:57 AM
Adjustable Shop/Die Table Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 5 April 26th 04 04:03 PM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM
Question about Vetex 6" Rotary Table keith Metalworking 0 July 11th 03 07:24 PM