Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default metal cutting circular saw

Ok, who is using one? Is it any good? I see name brands like Skill and
Milwaukee making these. Would it be good for cutting something like
1/4 -1/2 inch plate?

I already have other tools, but
Torch - messy cut.
Bandsaw - limited cut size.
Abrasive circular saw - messy environment relatively slow.
Plama - expensive and don't have one. Very limited thickness relative to
price.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 09:38:15 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Torch - messy cut.

Not necessarily. Tip needs to be clean and you may want to try slightly
different pressures on your regulators and clean the tip. Did I
mention the tip needs to be CLEAN

See this recent Instagram post Issac put up:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnaLtddl...aken-by=icweld

If you want clean torch cuts read the tips in his posts. He also posts
under Torch Norris:

https://www.instagram.com/torchnorris/

Harbor Freight used to sell one of those saws for metal. Looked like a
Skill Saw but with extra shielding. Think it was discontinued...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 9:38:19 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
Ok, who is using one? Is it any good? I see name brands like Skill and
Milwaukee making these. Would it be good for cutting something like
1/4 -1/2 inch plate?

I already have other tools, but
Torch - messy cut.
Bandsaw - limited cut size.
Abrasive circular saw - messy environment relatively slow.
Plama - expensive...

A so-called cold saw might make a lovely cut, but workholding and vulnerability
to inclusions are scary aspects.
You've left out one other cutting option, friction blade in a circular saw; the idea is that a moving
disk can cool its edge, but the workpiece just keeps getting hotter, until it burns.
It's not expensive, and works in a variety of table, chop, or radial saws, if you can stand the
sparks.

It does take large diameter blades (not gonna work in a handheld saw).

Me, I'd prefer to find a steel supplier that can do waterjet or laser cuts. That
solves straight, curved, holes, maybe bevels and other fancy stuff.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 14:53:04 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

[...]

Though I haven't used one a friend of mine who just retired from a
boat building place saw these used quite a bit. He said they worked
well on 1/4 inch stuff, were noisy, and had lots of hot chips. But
they could do long cuts. But only straight cuts. A plasma might be
more expensive but boy, do they cut a large variety of metals. And
fast. On the other hand, they generate lots of fine metal oxide dust.
Not the best stuff to breathe.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ok, who is using one? Is it any good? I see name brands like Skill and
Milwaukee making these. Would it be good for cutting something like
1/4 -1/2 inch plate?

A local welder has a DeWalt. He cut some 1-1/2 x 3/8" bar stock on it
for me, and it went pretty quickly. These are high-speed but aren't
as noisy/messy as regular circular saws. Cold saws are better but $$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHDO0qK7P1M DeWalt DW872 $419
I was in a muffler shop a couple week earlier where the guy used a
abrasive cutoff saw. He warned me to leave the area because of flying
pieces and toxic gases from the saw. It really stunk, too.

I already have other tools, but
Torch - messy cut.
Bandsaw - limited cut size.
Abrasive circular saw - messy environment relatively slow.

Agreed.

Plama - expensive and don't have one. Very limited thickness relative to
price.

I love plasma, now that I've used one at my friend's shop. Very, very
cool tech. I wonder how well the $179 ebay special would hold up...
not for half inch stock, though. g

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French