Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default metal cutting circular saw

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 09:38:15 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Ok, who is using one? Is it any good? I see name brands like Skill and
Milwaukee making these. Would it be good for cutting something like
1/4 -1/2 inch plate?

A local welder has a DeWalt. He cut some 1-1/2 x 3/8" bar stock on it
for me, and it went pretty quickly. These are high-speed but aren't
as noisy/messy as regular circular saws. Cold saws are better but $$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHDO0qK7P1M DeWalt DW872 $419
I was in a muffler shop a couple week earlier where the guy used a
abrasive cutoff saw. He warned me to leave the area because of flying
pieces and toxic gases from the saw. It really stunk, too.

I already have other tools, but
Torch - messy cut.
Bandsaw - limited cut size.
Abrasive circular saw - messy environment relatively slow.

Agreed.

Plama - expensive and don't have one. Very limited thickness relative to
price.

I love plasma, now that I've used one at my friend's shop. Very, very
cool tech. I wonder how well the $179 ebay special would hold up...
not for half inch stock, though. g

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French