Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default metal cutting circular saw

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 14:53:04 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 9:38:19 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
Ok, who is using one? Is it any good? I see name brands like Skill and
Milwaukee making these. Would it be good for cutting something like
1/4 -1/2 inch plate?

I already have other tools, but
Torch - messy cut.
Bandsaw - limited cut size.
Abrasive circular saw - messy environment relatively slow.
Plama - expensive...

A so-called cold saw might make a lovely cut, but workholding and vulnerability
to inclusions are scary aspects.
You've left out one other cutting option, friction blade in a circular saw; the idea is that a moving
disk can cool its edge, but the workpiece just keeps getting hotter, until it burns.
It's not expensive, and works in a variety of table, chop, or radial saws, if you can stand the
sparks.

It does take large diameter blades (not gonna work in a handheld saw).

Me, I'd prefer to find a steel supplier that can do waterjet or laser cuts. That
solves straight, curved, holes, maybe bevels and other fancy stuff.

Though I haven't used one a friend of mine who just retired from a
boat building place saw these used quite a bit. He said they worked
well on 1/4 inch stuff, were noisy, and had lots of hot chips. But
they could do long cuts. But only straight cuts. A plasma might be
more expensive but boy, do they cut a large variety of metals. And
fast. On the other hand, they generate lots of fine metal oxide dust.
Not the best stuff to breathe.
Eric