Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal Cutting Circular Saw Blades

Tenryu Steel-Pro was the original, IIRC. Then there was Morse Metal
Devil, and Mashusita. Now Freud, Lenox, Milwaukee, etc offer them. Are
there any differences between them? Has anybody used more than one
brand & have a preference?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob, I installed Decra (rock covered metal) shingles on my house in 2008.
Due to availability I purchased a lenox 7" blade with as many teeth as I
could find at Lowes. The shingles are 26 guage zinc coated steel with the
same stone used on a standard shingle, sintered (I presume) in place in the
zinc. About twenty squares (100 square ft) of shingles were used and a good
fourth of them or so had to be crosscut (14" or so). I used a sled on my
shopsmith tablesaw and that way, I used the variable speed to get about 4000
rpm or so. No lubricant was used other than wd-40 to keep the sled moving
freely. I bought two blades but the first one did the whole job.........but
there was not much left of it. I can look up the teeth on the blade if you
need me too, but I think it was around 60 teeth or more. Thinner the metal
more teeth needed. Goggles, full faceshield, leather gloves etc all
recommended. Only blade I have used and I know it is apples and oranges cuz
you are problably cutting thicker stock. Think 26 guage x 2 with one side
being stone embedded by zinc. I think the blade was $50 or so. Cheap when
you think about how many pairs of tin snips tha Decra would have ate up. :-)
Hope this helps.
Good luck Lyndell

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Tenryu Steel-Pro was the original, IIRC. Then there was Morse Metal
Devil, and Mashusita. Now Freud, Lenox, Milwaukee, etc offer them. Are
there any differences between them? Has anybody used more than one brand
& have a preference?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Tenryu Steel-Pro was the original, IIRC. Then there was Morse Metal
Devil, and Mashusita. Now Freud, Lenox, Milwaukee, etc offer them. Are
there any differences between them? Has anybody used more than one brand
& have a preference?

Thanks,
Bob

Back when I worked at Tool & Supply all of our industrial customers insisted
Lennox blades. That was long before they made metal cutting metal circular
blades though I think (18-19 years ago). Lots of brands have gone down hill
since then, but I never heard that about Lennox.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 18, 6:34*pm, "Lyndell Thompson" wrote:
[...]

Interesting product, but I'm a bit skeptical about performance vs.
regular asphalt shingles. According to their website, the stone is
bonded to the steel with an acrylic basecoat:
http://www.decra.com/about-us/company-history
In hot weather, I'd be worried about the basecoat adhesion with
expansion and contraction of the metal. Additionally, in cold
climates, I'd be worried about the stone layer soaking up moisture,
freezing and cracking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Answer on bottom of page, :-)

"Denis G." wrote in message
[...]

So far so good. No separation that I can tell. There has not been any areas
that need touching up.......though I have a kit to do so. I see almost no
granules of stone in the gutter like I always had with the shingles.......so
in three years so far it is staying put. I am middle aged , so if it last 50
years like they claim it will be my last roof. :-) One other benefit is the
shingles cool off quickly as soon as the sun goes down, where standard
shingles stay hot for hours. It is not real cost effective though. Probably
three times the cost of a normal roof with me doing it myself. Would be very
costly to have installed by professionals.
Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/18/2011 12:26 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Tenryu Steel-Pro was the original, IIRC. Then there was Morse Metal
Devil, and Mashusita. Now Freud, Lenox, Milwaukee, etc offer them. Are
there any differences between them? Has anybody used more than one brand
& have a preference?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, I've used Tenryu, DML (my first one), Morse. The death of any of
them is to not maintain a dead true cut line so it would be difficult to
suggest a brand and your experience might be much different than mine.
Control the speed and control the cut line.

My last two have been Morse and I will continue to buy them unless
something changes mostly based on supplier.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DanG wrote:
Bob, I've used Tenryu, DML (my first one), Morse. The death of any of
them is to not maintain a dead true cut line so it would be difficult to
suggest a brand and your experience might be much different than mine.
Control the speed and control the cut line.

My last two have been Morse and I will continue to buy them unless
something changes mostly based on supplier.

Thanks - I'm beginning to think that I have been too careless in my
control of the cut.

Thanks also on the brand feedback. I have Morse (bought by price) & I'm
glad to know that at least they are not significantly worse than others.

Bob