Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Floor jack 'plunger?'

So I've got an older hydraulic floor jack that can't keep it up.
I took apart the plunger assembly... hoping to find a bad o-ring.
The O-ring was fine, but at the bottom of the plunger was a
conical frustum (cone with top cut off.) made of some rubbery
material, that has a split in it.
What do I call it?, and where can I find a replacement?
I'm mostly just looking for the right name of the thing.
(rubbery frustum)

The Jack has the following number on it, 649N. Any other ID has
been lost over time. I'd guess it's age to be about 30-40 years.

Thanks,
George H.
(right, I could just go buy another jack...)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 1:24:30 PM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 09:20:33 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

So I've got an older hydraulic floor jack that can't keep it up.
I took apart the plunger assembly... hoping to find a bad o-ring.
The O-ring was fine, but at the bottom of the plunger was a
conical frustum (cone with top cut off.) made of some rubbery
material, that has a split in it.
What do I call it?, and where can I find a replacement?
I'm mostly just looking for the right name of the thing.
(rubbery frustum)

The Jack has the following number on it, 649N. Any other ID has
been lost over time. I'd guess it's age to be about 30-40 years.

Thanks,
George H.
(right, I could just go buy another jack...)

Is your email address good? I've got a couple old manuals I can send
you. One is for a Blackhawk floor jack and the other is for bottle and
floor jacks. Parts are similar though.

Can you open/read djvu files? The second manual is in djvu format.

These manuals call that part a "cup washer" and a "plunger cup" if I
understand your question correctly.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Hi Leon, email is good. or gherold(at sign)teachspin.com
I can't read djvu format.. but I assume I can find something on the web.
I don't think I need a manual. But "cup washer" and "plunger cup" look like search terms to start with. If I think about it I'll post a picture this
evening.

Thanks,
George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you can't find a suitable seal, some are available on ebay and maybe
hydraulic supply places, one guy here in the UK repaired a damaged cup
seal with Sugru
https://sugru.com/ .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
So I've got an older hydraulic floor jack that can't keep it up.
I took apart the plunger assembly... hoping to find a bad o-ring.
The O-ring was fine, but at the bottom of the plunger was a
conical frustum (cone with top cut off.) made of some rubbery
material, that has a split in it.
What do I call it?, and where can I find a replacement?
I'm mostly just looking for the right name of the thing.
(rubbery frustum)

The Jack has the following number on it, 649N. Any other ID has
been lost over time. I'd guess it's age to be about 30-40 years.

Thanks,
George H.
(right, I could just go buy another jack...)

Here is a site that I have used for reference on jack parts
https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits

Howdy Leon ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 15:03:03 -0600
"Larry Fisk" wrote:

snip
Here is a site that I have used for reference on jack parts
https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits

Very nice. Bookmarked for future reference. Looks like a source for
both reference and parts. Looks like it has reference for my old
Pro-Lift floor jack. I'll have to go check the model number. It has a
slow leak somewhere. So far it has been easier to add a little oil once
a year or so and keep some old papers underneath rather than try
fixing...

Howdy Leon ;-)

Years ago I knew a Larry Fisk, heavy truck mechanic in this area.
Wasn't related but a good guy.

Now I know one of my competitors for those "lfisk" login names too ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 5:03:13 PM UTC-4, Larry Fisk wrote:
wrote in message
So I've got an older hydraulic floor jack that can't keep it up.
I took apart the plunger assembly... hoping to find a bad o-ring.
The O-ring was fine, but at the bottom of the plunger was a
conical frustum (cone with top cut off.) made of some rubbery
material, that has a split in it.
What do I call it?, and where can I find a replacement?
I'm mostly just looking for the right name of the thing.
(rubbery frustum)

The Jack has the following number on it, 649N. Any other ID has
been lost over time. I'd guess it's age to be about 30-40 years.

Thanks,
George H.
(right, I could just go buy another jack...)

Here is a site that I have used for reference on jack parts
https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits

Thanks Larry, Unfortunately I have no idea who made the jack.

George H.

Howdy Leon ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 06:24:58 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

snip
Here is a site that I have used for reference on jack parts
https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits
Thanks Larry, Unfortunately I have no idea who made the jack.

Hi George,

Really good info on that website and you don't need to know who made
the jack. Take a look at these links, show you how to identify and
measure the seals:

http://www.hcrcnow.com/how-to-measure-seals

http://www.hcrcnow.com/how-to-identify-seals

Once you got an idea of the measurements, seal names... look at the
generic stuff:

https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seals-misc-parts

I think what you're looking for might be something he

https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seals-m...on-cup-leather

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 13:04:41 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

I think what you're looking for might be something he

https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seals-m...on-cup-leather

$20-30 for a single cup? Wow! Not giving them away.

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 1:04:44 PM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 06:24:58 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

snip
Here is a site that I have used for reference on jack parts
https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits
Thanks Larry, Unfortunately I have no idea who made the jack.

Hi George,

Really good info on that website and you don't need to know who made
the jack. Take a look at these links, show you how to identify and
measure the seals:

http://www.hcrcnow.com/how-to-measure-seals

http://www.hcrcnow.com/how-to-identify-seals

Once you got an idea of the measurements, seal names... look at the
generic stuff:

https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seals-misc-parts

I think what you're looking for might be something he

https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seals-m...on-cup-leather

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Thanks, ID is ~0.23" and OD 0.47(8)"
height is a bit less than 0.3"
I'll give 'em a call.

George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 15:03:03 -0600
"Larry Fisk" wrote:

snip
Here is a site that I have used for reference on jack parts
https://www.hcrcnow.com/shop/seal-kits

Very nice. Bookmarked for future reference. Looks like a source for
both reference and parts. Looks like it has reference for my old
Pro-Lift floor jack. I'll have to go check the model number. It has a
slow leak somewhere. So far it has been easier to add a little oil once
a year or so and keep some old papers underneath rather than try
fixing...

Howdy Leon ;-)

Years ago I knew a Larry Fisk, heavy truck mechanic in this area.
Wasn't related but a good guy.

Now I know one of my competitors for those "lfisk" login names too ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Hey Leon, I live in central Idaho and have all my life
I am heavy and a mechanic, and argueably a good guy :-)
I read this group and rarely have much to add
I mostly tinker these days, working on a huge (5200lb)
doall vertical 26" fully hydraulic band saw
here lately

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 19:03:38 -0600
"Larry Fisk" wrote:

snip
Hey Leon, I live in central Idaho and have all my life
I am heavy and a mechanic, and argueably a good guy :-)
I read this group and rarely have much to add
I mostly tinker these days, working on a huge (5200lb)
doall vertical 26" fully hydraulic band saw
here lately

Well that web link was a good addition. I picked an old NAPA bottle jack
out of a neighbors trash several years ago. It's probably around a 3
ton and been well or maybe not so well used. I found the manual for it
after some searching through the stuff listed on that site. Some trial
and error because the model number and specs were rubbed off. I've got
a lot better insight in how to disassemble it now, if and when I get
around to it. Don't really need it but I don't have a small hydraulic
like that. Hauling out a 20 ton for 1 ton work is a bit of overkill.
And my small mechanical jacks don't fit so well sometimes...

My local Larry was a pretty stout character too Seems like just
yesterday I remember my boss saying, "Head over to Acme Transport and
see Larry in the garage. He's got a couple trucks that need the radios
checked out." As soon as Larry caught my last name I had a bud on my
side of things

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI