Julie P.

Default My sink drain plunger is stuck in the closed position!

I don't know what to do. I closed the bathroom sink plunger for my first
time ever, to wash a shirt, and now pushing or pulling the handle doesn't
open it! It's like it's not even connected anymore. The sink is old. The
water will not drain, except through the emergency drain hole at the top of
the sink. And when I use the sink, it overflows, since that hole is too
small to drain. I now have a fruit fly infestation.

I don't want to have to contact the landlord to fix this for various
reasons. She wouldn't be able to fix it for a few weeks anyway. The water in
the sink is disgusting. I don't want to have to open the sink from the
bottom pipes either. Is there any way to manually force the plunger open so
the sink drains again? I tried a kitchen knife, but it wouldn't fit. I need
something strong, yet thin, to fit in.

Thanks!

I-zheet M'drurz

Julie P. wrote:

I don't know what to do. I closed the bathroom sink plunger for
my first time ever, to wash a shirt, and now pushing or pulling
the handle doesn't open it! It's like it's not even connected
anymore. The sink is old. The water will not drain, except
through the emergency drain hole at the top of the sink. And
when I use the sink, it overflows, since that hole is too small
to drain. I now have a fruit fly infestation.

I don't want to have to contact the landlord to fix this for
various reasons. She wouldn't be able to fix it for a few weeks
anyway. The water in the sink is disgusting. I don't want to
have to open the sink from the bottom pipes either. Is there any
way to manually force the plunger open so the sink drains again?
I tried a kitchen knife, but it wouldn't fit. I need something
strong, yet thin, to fit in.

Thanks!

(sigh) Blonde?

Back away from the kitchen knife.

You need to open the cabinet door under the sink (if you have
one...Oh Deer Lowered, I may have just confused you *more*?)
and look for a piece of metal rod or tube sticking out the
back of the drain pipe (that's the fat one in the middle, you
know, under the hole!) You should recognize this metal rod
because it will have one close to it that is likely detached,
that would be the one attached to the bottom of "the handle".
Anyway, those two need to be *connected* somehow, that's your
long-term project, but for now just concentrate on the one
sticking out of the drain pipe. You should be able to grab
ehe end of it and gently lower it (think one side of a
see saw!) and that will move the drain plunger up, out of
the hole. Good luck.

--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!
Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
Julie P.

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message

(sigh) Blonde?

Back away from the kitchen knife.

You need to open the cabinet door under the sink (if you have
one...Oh Deer Lowered, I may have just confused you *more*?)
and look for a piece of metal rod or tube sticking out the
back of the drain pipe (that's the fat one in the middle, you
know, under the hole!) You should recognize this metal rod
because it will have one close to it that is likely detached,
that would be the one attached to the bottom of "the handle".
Anyway, those two need to be *connected* somehow, that's your
long-term project, but for now just concentrate on the one
sticking out of the drain pipe. You should be able to grab
ehe end of it and gently lower it (think one side of a
see saw!) and that will move the drain plunger up, out of
the hole. Good luck.

Thanks! I lowered the rod sticking out of the drain pipe and it worked! The
problem is the rods are not detached The drain stop can consistently close
the sink, but it won't open it up at all. There is a flexible plastic strip
with various holes in it, like a belt, that connects the two rods, and when
I push down on the rod behind the faucet to raise drain stop, the this
plastic strip merely flexes, and there is not enough rigidity in it to open
the drain stop. What should I do?

And btw, I'm not a blonde.

Julie

Hagrinas Mivali

"Julie P." wrote in message
"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message

Thanks! I lowered the rod sticking out of the drain pipe and it worked!

The
problem is the rods are not detached The drain stop can consistently close
the sink, but it won't open it up at all. There is a flexible plastic

strip
with various holes in it, like a belt, that connects the two rods, and

when
I push down on the rod behind the faucet to raise drain stop, the this
plastic strip merely flexes, and there is not enough rigidity in it to

open
the drain stop. What should I do?

And btw, I'm not a blonde.

Since you said you did it for the first time ever, I got the impression that
you won't need to do this very often. If that's the case, have the landlord
fix it.

Otherwise, see if the strap can go in a lower hole on the rod that goes up
to the faucet part.

I-zheet M'drurz

Julie P. wrote:

The problem is the rods are not detached

Well I'll be. That's not supposed to happen that way!

The drain stop
can consistently close the sink, but it won't open it up at all.
There is a flexible plastic strip with various holes in it, like
a belt, that connects the two rods, and when I push down on the
rod behind the faucet to raise drain stop, the this plastic
strip merely flexes, and there is not enough rigidity in it to
open the drain stop. What should I do?

Under normal conditions, that piece of plastic should stay
rigid enough to force the bottom piece to move. Either
something has happened to make the drain stop *lots* harder
to move, or the piece with the holes is literally "worn out".

I agree with the other reply, either report it to the
landlord / significant other / handy friend or try
and use another hole.

And btw, I'm not a blonde.

Very few of them are! g

--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!
Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line

Punch

The sink is old. The
water will not drain, except through the emergency drain hole at the top
of
the sink. And when I use the sink, it overflows, since that hole is too
small to drain. I now have a fruit fly infestation.

I don't want to have to contact the landlord to fix this for various
reasons. She wouldn't be able to fix it for a few weeks anyway. The water
in
the sink is disgusting.

your gross, why didn't you take a cup and scoop the water out? yuck....

Terry

"Punch" wrote in message
.. .
The sink is old. The
water will not drain, except through the emergency drain hole at the top
of
the sink. And when I use the sink, it overflows, since that hole is too
small to drain. I now have a fruit fly infestation.

I don't want to have to contact the landlord to fix this for various
reasons. She wouldn't be able to fix it for a few weeks anyway. The

water
in
the sink is disgusting.

your gross, why didn't you take a cup and scoop the water out? yuck....

Struth, give me strength!
Use Chlorox/Javex sparingly to kill odour and dump small amount (say less
than an egg cup full) down the overflow to kill fruit flies.
Repeat, if necessary, while you drain the sink using a piece of tubing into
your wash bucket which you then dump down the toilet. (You do have a wash
bucket or large pan of some kind?). Maybe even a large saucepan? Bathroom
toilet can't be far away?
Or; you can wear a pair of rubber kitchen gloves and bale out the sink using
any old container!
Sorry I'm not close enough to come and do it for you! :-)

I-zheet M'drurz

Blondie69 wrote:

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote:

(sigh) Blonde?

You should be able to grab
ehe end of it and gently lower it (think one side of a
see saw!) and that will move the drain plunger up, out of
the hole. Good luck.

I'm blonde, and that rod sticking out sounds real exciting. How
do I get turned on with that thing?

www.doctor-ruth.com

----
I quit smoking until my mother-in-law bought me smoked ham.

I donut get it.

--
Saluting America's #1 (animated) "MILF" - Lois Griffin!
Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to I-zheet M'drurz, Evann Gentry wrote:
I realize this is the internet but in future you should try being less of
chauvinistic **asshole* *

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-546251-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 1:14:06 PM UTC-5, Evann Gentry wrote:
replying to I-zheet M'drurz, Evann Gentry wrote:
I realize this is the internet but in future you should try being less of
chauvinistic **asshole* *
--

Your too late, 12 years ago, a herd of radioactive Feminist mutant gerbils trampled I-zheet M'drurz to death then ate him. Animal control came in with flame throwers to wipe out the rabid gerbils. The remains were so radioactive that the debris had to be scooped up and sent to a special secured dump for toxic and radioactive waste. It was a real mess. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Radioactive Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Terry, Mars12! wrote:
The point is not to get rid of the €śickiness€ť it is to unstop the plunger
which is broken in the sink, not the pipe. People have said to use a plunger
or some other kind of sucking mechanism but nothing has worked for me either.
Gonna have to undo the sink and pop it out from inside. Have a bucket for the
water leackage.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-546251-.htm

Stuck drain cock on DHW mike ring UK diy 8 July 20th 04 07:41 PM
Chemical sink + drain unblockers - any good? Abso UK diy 37 June 12th 04 12:03 PM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
drain plugged; cleanouts appear stuck FlashFyre Home Repair 12 January 6th 04 02:50 AM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Repair 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM