Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plunger advise needed for a special toilet

I have an european toilet (Porcher) and it has an unusual bowl geometry.
Instead of the typical sloped towards the bottom of the bowl, it slopes to a
rectangular shape then the rectangle goes down 3 to 4 inches to the hole at
the bottom then to the goose neck part of the toilet.

This means when things get stucked, I cannot use a normal plunger as the
largest plunger I can get, does not cover the size of this rectangle
opening, so when I plunge, the water just rushed out of the sliver of space
the plunger cannot really "hug" tight to.

Then I tried one of those accordian style plunger. That can reach all the
way to the bottom of the hole, and I thought that would work, but no, the
handle at the top of the accordian contraption is not "sealed", so when I
pushed down on this accordian thingie, the air or water leaks out of the
place where the handle attached to it at the top, so this drastically
reduces the effect it has.

So I have been using this 3' long hand snake. But it's a nasty thing to
store, and it gets rusted easily after a month pretty much have to get
another one. I rather use a plunger if I can find one that is usable.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
H H is offline

Perhaps you should contact Porcher ( www.porcher.com ) . It helps, I think,
if you speak French.

Good luck.

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have an european toilet (Porcher) and it has an unusual bowl geometry.

So I have been using this 3' long hand snake. But it's a nasty thing to
store, and it gets rusted easily after a month pretty much have to get
another one. I rather use a plunger if I can find one that is usable.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Yes, you either need a new toilet or more fiber in your diet. I'm 61 years
old and recall plunging a toilet maybe once or twice in my life, including
at home and at work. If you are using a plunger once a month or more, there
is a problem that should be corrected the right way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:13:17 -0500, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

[...]

It's been my experience that one shouldn't use a plunger on a toilet anyway.
Snakes, although repulsive to use, are the preferred method.
If the clog is past the flange connection, you stand a good chance of blowing
out the wax gasket in your efforts. This repair, of course, is even more
repulsive than the snake.