miamicuse

Default Wiring advise needed

First, I am not too familiar with electrical wiring, and normally I will get
an electrician to do a job, but this one is simply swapping an old switch to
a new one, so I figured I can just match up the old and new switches and do
it myself.

What I have is a double gang box that has four switches, two on each side.
I turned off the main power and removed the cover plate, pulled out the
switches and it looked like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00010.JPG

Note the top right switch is broken, this is why I am replacing this.

The left switch has a black wire connected to the top left. As seen in the
link below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00014.JPG

This black wire actually connects to the top right side of the right
switches, as seen below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00013.JPG

A black wire connects to the left bottom of the right switch, and a red wire
to the left top of the right switch, as depicted below:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00012.JPG

To the right side of the right switches, the top is connected to the black
wire that came from the left switches, and there is a white wire that
connected to the bottom right. This white wire is all frayed and loosened
up.

None of the switches are grounded. I saw three green wires tucked inside
the box, screwed into a single nut. Not sure if they should have been
connected to the grounding screw or not.

Now the problem. The Leviton Two Switches I got (I have a pair of them) do
not look exactly like what I had so I can't just match them up.

The left side of my Leviton Switch look like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00017.JPG

The right side like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00016.JPG

Can someone tell me how I should be wiring them from the pictures? The
Leviton switches has 4 screws, and they are labeled according to the
instruction sheet A1 (top left), B1 (bottom left), Common Line 1 (top
right), Common Line 2 (bottom right). And do I need to break off the fin
located between the black screws?

Thanks in advance,

MC

SQLit

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Last two pictures look absolutely normal to me the side with the bridge is
for the hot wire. Remove the bridge if the hots are different circuits.
Loads go on the other side.

First picture shows the bridge removed.

pict 13 looks like black is hot and red is switch leg. One wire seems to be
missing in the picture should be 4 wires I see 3 only

A little picture modification and it looks like the red with the black tape
going to the right switch is a hot, or your missing a wire
The red on the top left of the right switch looks like a switch leg.
ISSUE
Black on left side of right switch looks like a master switch to the switch
on the left
The switch with in the hand looks like the reds are the switch legs and the
black is the hot.

Is there a wire missing?
The switches can be wired with one hot on one side and two switch legs on
the other side. I fail to see wires where I would expect.

miamicuse

The way it works now all four lights are operating independently. I don't
know if there is a missing wire but whatever they are doing it seem to work.
"SQLit" wrote in message

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

There are three green wires not connecting to the box but they go into a
single nut, as show below. I thought those are grounding wires?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00015.JPG

The right side of the right switch look like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00011.JPG

with a white wire (with black tape) going to the bottom screw and a black
wire that came from the left switch.

Does it look right? How can I wire it the same with the new switches I
have?

Thanks,

MC

RBM

I think you need to take some better pictures of the sides of the old
switches. I can't be sure from your pictures or descriptions what you've
got. It appears that you have two, single pole combination switches. It also
appears that one switch is upside down so the common terminal of the left
switch is on the left and the common of the right switch is on the right,
but its hard to tell. Forgetting any ground terminals, the switches old and
new should have four terminals each. Two with a bridge between them and two
without. If either of the old switches have the bridge removed, you need to
do the same with the corresponding new switch

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

miamicuse

You are right I got the pictures mixed up a bit. Here they are hopefully
showing the whole picture.

Left switch left side:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00014.JPG

Left switch right side:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00013.JPG

Right switch left side:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00012.JPG

Right switch right side:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00011.JPG

Both switches front side:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/DSC00010.JPG

I can't tell if the bridge is removed or not. I don't know which side the
bridge was on and what it looked before it was removed... Can you tell from
the pics?

Thanks,

MC

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

RBM

The left hand switch has a feed on the common side, which on the old
switches is the side with the terminals close together. I can't see from the
pix if the bridge is removed or not, but for it to work, it must be intact.
You should be able to replace that one wire for wire. The right side switch
is the one I am having trouble seeing where the wires are attached. If you
could get clearer pix of that one, I can tell you what's going on.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Vaughan

In article ,
miamicuse wrote:
[...]

Your old switches have two terminals on one side, closely spaced, with a
break off tab between them. this is the line side, and corresponds to
the common line 1/2 terminals on the new switches.

The other side, with the two widely spaced terminals and the ground screw
is the load side, corresponding to A1 and B1 on the new switches.

On your left switch, I can see that the tab on the line side is intact,
so you don't need to break it off on the new switch. you can replace
this switch one for one.

On the right switch, it's hard to tell from the pictures, and your
description is confusing.

Important question: Is the tab broken on the right switch?

Your description of the black jumber wire between the left and right switches
is confusing.. I would expect it to go from the line side of the left switch,
to the line side of the right switch, and for the incoming feed from the
breaker panel to also be on the line side of the right switch, on the other
screw, with the tab intact. from the photo, this looks like a red wire.

I would expect to find the 4 lights connected to the 4 load terminals of
the two switches, which from the photos appears to be two reds on the
left switch, and a black, and a white w/black tape on the right.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --