Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spray mist air scrubbers?

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 1:05:05 PM UTC-7, SteamboatEd Haas wrote:
Curious to know if there are any plans to build one in the wild. The cheapest one I can find new that looks to be worth a damn is the Royal Filtermist and it clocks in around $1,300, which is waaay over my budget.

--Bit the bullet and bought a Royal Filtermist. I saved a bundle by making my own stand for it. I also did a tiny bit of sheet metal work and made a 6" to 4" duct reducer. Photos start about halfway down this page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steamb...57675365635032
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 12:55:08 -0800 (PST), SteamboatEd Haas
wrote:

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 1:05:05 PM UTC-7, SteamboatEd Haas wrote:
Curious to know if there are any plans to build one in the wild. The cheapest one I can find new that looks to be worth a damn is the Royal Filtermist and it clocks in around $1,300, which is waaay over my budget.

--Bit the bullet and bought a Royal Filtermist. I saved a bundle by making my own stand for it. I also did a tiny bit of sheet metal work and made a 6" to 4" duct reducer. Photos start about halfway down this page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steamb...57675365635032

Is that a contactor or VFD in the box on the back? They sure don't
give those Filtermists away. Wow. Very nice work, Ed.

That's a big bin of Clecos there. Doing a lot of sheetmetal work?

I also love the concept of the articulated die-grinder-on-a-stick on
your bench. I was going to ask if you built it yourself but then saw
the warning label. Have you seen the speed controls that come on some
inexpensive die grinders, simple screw with a nut on either side of
the paddle actuator? More of a speed limiter.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Very nice sheet metal work!!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 7:19:14 AM UTC-8, Larry Jaques wrote:
Is that a contactor or VFD in the box on the back? They sure don't
give those Filtermists away. Wow. Very nice work, Ed.

--It's a VFD. One of the bright guys in my posse fixed me up with a parts list to do it right and helped me wire it to OSHA specs. Saved a bundle compared to what Royal charges for the same thing.

That's a big bin of Clecos there. Doing a lot of sheetmetal work?

--Heh a pal gave 'em to me. I wound up parting 'em out to folks who need 'em more than me.

I also love the concept of the articulated die-grinder-on-a-stick on
your bench. I was going to ask if you built it yourself but then saw
the warning label. Have you seen the speed controls that come on some
inexpensive die grinders, simple screw with a nut on either side of
the paddle actuator? More of a speed limiter.

--It's a Chinese clone that was within my budget. The American equivalent was $3,000 and I got this one for $500 new on ebay. Did a ton of googling but couldn't find anything like the high speed air drill setup I've got now: these things seem to be specifically made for tapping in production setups, but I had another application in mind. Die grinder came courtesy of a pal who got it from his dad. The curvy shape of the die grinder was too weird to fasten securely in the end clamp so we made a 'bushing' with Shapelock: the plastic that melts in hot water. The beauty of this old die grinder is it uses standard collets. I'm using it to drill 10 holes apiece of an odd diameter in a ****pile of plastic parts for a customer. Still and all I'd like to clone the whole thing so two of us could do the work in half the time!

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
--John Locke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 14:25:03 -0800 (PST), SteamboatEd Haas
wrote:

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 7:19:14 AM UTC-8, Larry Jaques wrote:
Is that a contactor or VFD in the box on the back? They sure don't
give those Filtermists away. Wow. Very nice work, Ed.

--It's a VFD. One of the bright guys in my posse fixed me up with a parts list to do it right and helped me wire it to OSHA specs. Saved a bundle compared to what Royal charges for the same thing.

Why the VFD, as the Royal site says the FMs use a single speed, and
caution you not to cycle them too often. At that price, they should
be more beefy, don't you think? Odd.

That's a big bin of Clecos there. Doing a lot of sheetmetal work?

--Heh a pal gave 'em to me. I wound up parting 'em out to folks who need 'em more than me.

I have half a dozen in the old automotive tool chest from my other
life way back when, 30+ years ago.

[...]

Well done! And $2,500 is a hefty savings. That's about how much they
want for a new furnace for my attic. The secondary heat exchanger
delaminated and it's 16 years old, and it threw a couple codes, so the
smart thing is to replace it. But it's a Christmas OUCH.

The beauty of this old die grinder is it uses standard collets. I'm using it to drill 10 holes apiece of an odd diameter in a ****pile of plastic parts for a customer. Still and all I'd like to clone the whole thing so two of us could do the work in half the time!

Amen to that. It doesn't seem too hard to clone. And now that the
pneumatic shocks are available for $15 a pop at Autozone, that's
doable. Pick your pressure!

--
Now therefore, be it Resolved by the Fiftieth Annual Convention
of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, That we

--Veterans of Foreign Wars

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 1:05:05 PM UTC-7, SteamboatEd Haas wrote:
Curious to know if there are any plans to build one in the wild. The cheapest one I can find new that looks to be worth a damn is the Royal Filtermist and it clocks in around $1,300, which is waaay over my budget.

--Bit the bullet and bought a Royal Filtermist. I saved a bundle by making my own stand for it. I also did a tiny bit of sheet metal work and made a 6" to 4" duct reducer. Photos start about halfway down this page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steamb...57675365635032

Is that a contactor or VFD in the box on the back? They sure don't
give those Filtermists away. Wow. Very nice work, Ed.

--It's a VFD. One of the guys in my gang (Sebastopol Makers) is an EE who builds test equipment where he works and he's been very helpful.

That's a big bin of Clecos there. Doing a lot of sheetmetal work?

--A pal dumped 'em off; one of those 'here Ed you need these' things. Since
then I've managed to disperse them to the vultures.
I also love the concept of the articulated die-grinder-on-a-stick on
your bench. I was going to ask if you built it yourself but then saw
the warning label. Have you seen the speed controls that come on some
inexpensive die grinders, simple screw with a nut on either side of
the paddle actuator? More of a speed limiter.

--Ah. That's something special I cobbled together for a production job. I bought a production tapping setup on ebay (wanted to buy American but this one cost 1/6 as much!). I removed the really beautiful pneumatic tapping unit and replaced it with an old die grinder that used the same collets I already had for a toolholder on my mill. With the die grinder's speed and the collet's range I can now drill holes at the correct speed. I've made an aluminum guide plate with a dozen drill bushings pressed in. The over arm assembly makes alignment a breeze and I've got time per hole down to 5 seconds.
--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full
description of a happy state in this world.
--John Locke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 1:05:05 PM UTC-7, SteamboatEd Haas wrote:
Curious to know if there are any plans to build one in the wild. The cheapest one I can find new that looks to be worth a damn is the Royal Filtermist and it clocks in around $1,300, which is waaay over my budget.

--Bit the bullet and bought a Royal Filtermist. I saved a bundle by making my own stand for it. I also did a tiny bit of sheet metal work and made a 6" to 4" duct reducer. Photos start about halfway down this page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/steamb...57675365635032

Is that a contactor or VFD in the box on the back? They sure don't
give those Filtermists away. Wow. Very nice work, Ed.

--It's a VFD. One of the guys in my gang (Sebastopol Makers) is an EE who builds test equipment where he works and he's been very helpful.

Nice!

[...]

Slick, dude.

-

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Grout scrubbers? walter Home Repair 25 September 14th 12 05:34 PM
fine white mist from humidifier jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii Home Repair 11 February 26th 05 07:05 AM
Kenmore warm mist humidifier john Home Repair 7 January 31st 05 03:17 AM
mist maker Pete Cross Electronics Repair 1 October 6th 04 03:28 AM
Panasonic NN-811A Combo Microwave Door Mist David Longley UK diy 6 December 4th 03 01:44 PM