jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Default fine white mist from humidifier

since the air gets very dry because of central heating, i have got a
humidifier, the kind you put water in and it throws out a fine cold mist
into the air.

what it is doing is putting a fine white dust on everything especially the
television which normally attracts a lot of dust anyway (due to static i
guess).

since we are in a hard water area (north london u.k.) would that be as
somebody has suggested the chalk in the water or is it something else? it
seems to like settling on the computer also in the cd tray etc, could this
be harmful? thanks for any advice

Dr. Hardcrab

"jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii" wrote in message
since the air gets very dry because of central heating, i have got a
humidifier, the kind you put water in and it throws out a fine cold mist
into the air.

what it is doing is putting a fine white dust on everything especially the
television which normally attracts a lot of dust anyway (due to static i
guess).

since we are in a hard water area (north london u.k.) would that be as
somebody has suggested the chalk in the water or is it something else? it
seems to like settling on the computer also in the cd tray etc, could this
be harmful? thanks for any advice

It is the minerals in the water. They make an in-line filter (for the water
supply) that helps cut down on the deposits. Your mileage may vary........

Ed

"jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii" wrote

since the air gets very dry because of central heating, i have got a
humidifier, the kind you put water in and it throws out a fine cold mist
into the air.

It might pay you to throw it out and get the other kind. That white dust can
mess up CD/DVD players because they can coat the laser lens and make them
ineffective. I've been there.

Ed Clarke

On 2005-02-24, jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii wrote:

since we are in a hard water area (north london u.k.) would that be as
somebody has suggested the chalk in the water or is it something else? it
seems to like settling on the computer also in the cd tray etc, could this
be harmful? thanks for any advice

It's minerals (not necessarily chalk) in the water. Use distilled water
instead. And yes, it can be harmful to your computer. Fans and things
do not like abrasives (chalk is an abrasive) on their bearings. Besides,
it looks ugly.

--
This signature left blank.
George E. Cawthon

jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii wrote:
since the air gets very dry because of central heating, i have got a
humidifier, the kind you put water in and it throws out a fine cold mist
into the air.

what it is doing is putting a fine white dust on everything especially the
television which normally attracts a lot of dust anyway (due to static i
guess).

since we are in a hard water area (north london u.k.) would that be as
somebody has suggested the chalk in the water or is it something else? it
seems to like settling on the computer also in the cd tray etc, could this
be harmful? thanks for any advice

We tried one of these for awhile; the unit even
explains that the white powder (minerals) may be a
problem and if so one should use distilled water.

The white powder can be very destructive to
surfaces, operating motors, etc. And it's not too
good for your lungs either. We were unwilling to
buy that much distilled water and stopped using
the unit. You need to use distilled water or buy
the type of humidifier that evaporates the water
(rather than atomizing it). If the latter, you
will need to clean the mineral deposits from the
evaporating surface, but that is better than
having the fine dust blowing through the air,
especially into your lungs.

John_B

jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii wrote:

since the air gets very dry because of central heating, i have got a
humidifier, the kind you put water in and it throws out a fine cold mist
into the air.

what it is doing is putting a fine white dust on everything especially the
television which normally attracts a lot of dust anyway (due to static i
guess).

since we are in a hard water area (north london u.k.) would that be as
somebody has suggested the chalk in the water or is it something else? it
seems to like settling on the computer also in the cd tray etc, could this
be harmful? thanks for any advice

That is the inevitable result when the water holds dissolved
minerals. The "white dust" is the "no longer dissolved" minerals
which were in the water.

I refer to the water supply to our house as limestone soup with a
dash of rust due to the iron ore in the area. I have just spent
six hours wrapping paper towels soaked with vinegar around the
kitchen faucet so I could get it apart to clean out the deposits.

You can spend a lot of money to buy distilled water, or a lot of
money to get demineralizing cartridges, or give up and do what I
do -- which is use an "evaporative" humidifier. This of course
results in mineral deposits inside the humidifier which I clean
up with vinegar at about two month intervals.

Ross Mac

"jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii" wrote in message
since the air gets very dry because of central heating, i have got a
humidifier, the kind you put water in and it throws out a fine cold mist
into the air.

what it is doing is putting a fine white dust on everything especially the
television which normally attracts a lot of dust anyway (due to static i
guess).

since we are in a hard water area (north london u.k.) would that be as
somebody has suggested the chalk in the water or is it something else? it
seems to like settling on the computer also in the cd tray etc, could this
be harmful? thanks for any advice

Just a thought but maybe a water softener would solve your problem. If you
have that many minerals in your water it may be worth the cost.......Ross

Ray

I agree 100%. I tried one of those ultrasonic humidifiers a few years back.
I too found white dust around the unit. Eventually the unit failed. I
exchanged it, same white dust with the new one & it failed. Ended up
getting a refund. Evaporative is the way to go.

Ray

"John_B" wrote in message
hlink.net...
jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii wrote:

[...]

m Ransley

You have an Ultrasonic humidiier and that is what they do , leave the
minerals in your water as dust outside the unit. Junk it , it is not
worth the trouble. If you have forced air heat put in a a forced air
humidifier or get the old style tank and pad unit.

Michael Baugh

I use rain water in my unit.
Filtered through a dense weave sock.
No more calcium dust, such as from tap water.

Michael Baugh wrote:
I use rain water in my unit.
Filtered through a dense weave sock.
No more calcium dust, such as from tap water.

Is that rain water from off your roof? That could have nasties in it
that the sock won't filter. I do know it's not good to drink; maybe
breathing a vapor cloud of it wouldn't be so hot either.

If you have a collection device that you can be sure is free of spores,
bird poop etc. then you're onto something. Rainwater's good stuff.

%mod%

SJF

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

[...]

Water softeners don't remove minerals. They replace calcium and magnesium
salts with sodium salts which do not "harden" water. With softened water,
the atomizing humidifier would create salty dust instead of chalky
st. --- SJF

Toshiba 43PJ93B: PAL switching black and white, NTSC fine brendan boner Electronics Repair 0 April 9th 04 10:32 AM
Central vs Console Humidifier Dick Home Repair 15 February 20th 04 09:56 PM
tiny white powdery rocks coming out of hot water taps... [email protected] Home Ownership 13 October 9th 03 02:01 PM
White Water Vince UK diy 9 August 23rd 03 06:08 PM
Installing Ceiling Fan with Red wire on electrical box. Josh Home Ownership 8 July 31st 03 11:53 AM