Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Range of ER32 collets?

Hi Folks,

If I were to buy one of these sets of Chinese made ER32 collets on e-bay
(https://www.ebay.com/itm/19pcs-ER32-...100005.m185 1)

....what is the range of each collet? With increments of 1/16" can I hold any size rod?

If I have 3/16" and 1/4" for example, do I need 7/32"?

I see that the 20 piece set that I linked, has incrememts of 1mm. 1/16" is 1.6mm so it seems to me I would have gaps if I only got 1/16" increments.

Right now I am using a MT3 collet set, but I am finding it pretty limited.. It holds nominal stock sizes just fine, but if I take a few mils off to clean up the OD before chucking it, the rod slips.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan

p.s. Intended use is on a 1952 Logan 10" (Wards) lathe. MT3 taper in the head, MT2 in the tailstock.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 08:54:08 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Koller
wrote:

Hi Folks,

If I were to buy one of these sets of Chinese made ER32 collets on e-bay
(https://www.ebay.com/itm/19pcs-ER32-...100005.m185 1)

...what is the range of each collet? With increments of 1/16" can I hold any size rod?

If I have 3/16" and 1/4" for example, do I need 7/32"?

I see that the 20 piece set that I linked, has incrememts of 1mm. 1/16" is 1.6mm so it seems to me I would have gaps if I only got 1/16" increments.

Right now I am using a MT3 collet set, but I am finding it pretty limited. It holds nominal stock sizes just fine, but if I take a few mils off to clean up the OD before chucking it, the rod slips.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan

p.s. Intended use is on a 1952 Logan 10" (Wards) lathe. MT3 taper in the head, MT2 in the tailstock.

ER 32 collets were designed to have a range of .032". 1mm is kinda
pushing it.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Daniel Koller" wrote in message
[...]

=============================

In general I've found that only precision ground drill rod that fits
my 5C collets deserves them, a chuck is fine for rougher stock.

If the piece will need to be removed to check fit and replaced on the
lathe it's easy enough to turn a stub on one end to collet size.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19pcs-ER32-...100005.m185 1)

...what is the range of each collet? With increments of 1/16" can I hold any size rod?

If I have 3/16" and 1/4" for example, do I need 7/32"?

I see that the 20 piece set that I linked, has incrememts of 1mm. 1/16" is 1.6mm so it seems to me I would have gaps if I only got 1/16" increments.

Right now I am using a MT3 collet set, but I am finding it pretty limited. It holds nominal stock sizes just fine, but if I take a few mils off to clean up the OD before chucking it, the rod slips.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan

p.s. Intended use is on a 1952 Logan 10" (Wards) lathe. MT3 taper in the head, MT2 in the tailstock.

ER 32 collets were designed to have a range of .032". 1mm is kinda
pushing it.
Eric

Some say otherwise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collet#ER_collets .
Rego-fix are Swiss so I would have expected a 1mm range would make more
sense than 0.032", see http://ch.rego-fix.com/en/products/system/er .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, if Rego-Fix says it's so then it must be seeing as how it's
their invention. I stand corrected. Nevertheless I'll stick with .032
for ER32 collets 'cause tha's how I bought them.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/11/17 20:54, wrote:
On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 17:24:15 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I guess maybe they make them in 1/32" increments for the US market for
those that aren't comfortable with mm as it makes a collet size pick
easier. Me I've grown up with inch in the US and metric in the UK and
some sizes seem more natural in one system and others in the other
system although these days I do more and more in metric.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/11/17 17:53, Daniel Koller wrote:
[...]

One problem I've encountered with ER collets is gripping short lengths
which they don't seem to like, I presume due to the internal collet
diameter being partly unsupported by the part. By short lengths I'm
referring to items maybe less than half the collet length. I've dealt
with it recently by adding a suitably size plug in the rear of the
collet and that seemed to sort the problem.