Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alternate Collet Nut Styles for ER32?

I'm looking to stick four ER32 Spindles side-by-side with about 2.000" C-C
spacing in-line.

....Obviously, the standard nut and wrench are not really the best for this
set-up.

Anyone know of a solution or an alternate style collet nut?

There doesn't seem to be an ER32 "mini" nut available anywhere. Even a hex
would require a very unique socket set-up...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I'm looking to stick four ER32 Spindles side-by-side with about 2.000" C-C
spacing in-line.

...Obviously, the standard nut and wrench are not really the best for this
set-up.

Anyone know of a solution or an alternate style collet nut?

There doesn't seem to be an ER32 "mini" nut available anywhere. Even a
hex would require a very unique socket set-up...

An extra deep socket isn't that big a deal, however that was my second
thought. How about simple straight bars and a series of holes drilled
around the nut?

If it uses a standard spanner like my ER 25 collet holder maybe a specialty
extra deep socket that engages the slots you normally engage with the
spanner? Yeah, if you are using a 12" aircraft bit it might not be real
easy, but for jobber bits, and standard endmills it should not be that big
of a deal.

Or maybe instead of using a collet holder use tool holders that fit the
spindle with a draw bar.

There is not really enough information for me to tackle this problem, but
there are a few ideas maybe make you think of something else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pictuer: Alternate Collet Nut Styles for ER32?

On 4/25/2011 9:56 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9...letsocket3.jpg

If the socket will work why use a non standard part for the machine
making replacements difficult. Just make up a couple of these sockets
for the customer, and if they lose it they can easily call you for
another or have one made themselves. Obviously I took liberties with
the slot count for easy of sketching.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9...letsocket3.jpg

If the socket will work why use a non standard part for the machine making
replacements difficult. Just make up a couple of these sockets for the
customer, and if they lose it they can easily call you for another or have
one made themselves. Obviously I took liberties with the slot count for
easy of sketching.

That's along the lines of what we are thinking. The challenge is that we
sell these devices quite regularly. ...In fact, I've got a four spindle
2.500" version in the works now as I came in this morning to find a PO from
a customer on my chair. I take a few hours off and see what happens?

Because I run into this problem on a relatively regular basis, I'm trying to
find a long term solution that does not require a custom built wrench every
time. ...Sure, I could ave them mass produced somewhere, but if someone
already makes a mini-style nut some place like they do for ER25 and smaller,
it would greatly simplify my life.

Thank you for taking the time to sketch that out.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
TWITTER:http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK:http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Did you call Frank Mari? Maritool.com
He should have an answer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:11:31 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

I'm looking to stick four ER32 Spindles side-by-side with about 2.000" C-C
spacing in-line.

...Obviously, the standard nut and wrench are not really the best for this
set-up.

Anyone know of a solution or an alternate style collet nut?

There doesn't seem to be an ER32 "mini" nut available anywhere. Even a hex
would require a very unique socket set-up...

================
Would it be practicable to apply old technology such as MT
spindles here? Drills in most sizes still available with
MT1 and MT0 shanks. This would appear to give the closest
C/C distance possible.

http://drillsandcutters.com/drill_ta...QbKgodP 1qBsw
http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...D01_01_017_001
and many more -- google on taper shank drills

Another possibility would be threaded shank drills but
selection appears limited.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...8732&PMCTLG=00

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Would it be practicable to apply old technology such as MT
spindles here? Drills in most sizes still available with
MT1 and MT0 shanks. This would appear to give the closest
C/C distance possible.

(CLIP)

Another possibility would be threaded shank drills but
selection appears limited.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...8732&PMCTLG=00

We offer both already. I'm just much more comfortable with a shank that is
going to stick around for a while with numerous suppliers.

The MT0, MT1, MT2, etc. female shafts all use an ASA or automotive shank to
make it happen reliably because the length of the tooling is non-adjustable
with a simple female MT spindle - and everyone in the high end drilling
business wants to be able to adjust the length of the tool to compensate for
re-sharpening, depth control, etc. I'm also not too comfortable with ASA
spindles because there are very few suppliers left. ER is everywhere
globally. ASA seems to have a metric and inch size issue as some European
countries use metric-sized tool holders that do not work with the standard
inch size I've run across most often.

The threaded spindle is also available, but we run into the same issue of
non-adjustable lengths, etc. Plus, there are at least two different standard
threaded sizes I've run across. 7/16-18 and another I forget... I've never
seen larger except for on custom jobs.

I don't know if this will work or not but... Here are some photos of MT
shank and threaded shank heads with the ASA adapter installed in the spindle
at the bottom left of the photo:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7302225&type=1

This page shows threaded spindles as well as two different quick-change
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7302225&type=1

This shows a typical wood application (it's worth seeing even for
metalheads) with ER32 spindles:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7302225&type=1

Someone want to let me know if these links work for non-Facebook users?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:22:47 -0400
"Joe AutoDrill" wrote:

snip
This shows a typical wood application (it's worth seeing even for
metalheads) with ER32 spindles:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...7302225&type=1

Someone want to let me know if these links work for non-Facebook users?

Didn't try them all, but the one above displayed okay for me. Opera
11.10 web browser, JavaScript and plugins disabled...

You make this stuff in a "clean room" :-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:22:47 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:
snip
Someone want to let me know if these links work for non-Facebook users?

snip
Work fine with Mozilla FireFox 3.6.16

Nice looking units. Good to see that we have some tooling
capability left in the US.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Didn't try them all, but the one above displayed okay for me. Opera
11.10 web browser, JavaScript and plugins disabled...

You make this stuff in a "clean room" :-)

Leon,

Thanks, and no, not a clean room, a very dirty room with some auxiliary
pieces of pure white styrofoam to use for photos. When we need to photoshop
the image, it makes the job much easier later on if there is a solid color
behind the piece. We used to use bright yellow, but found that it reflected
off parts and even if we replaced the color, the reflections were affected.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Work fine with Mozilla FireFox 3.6.16

Nice looking units. Good to see that we have some tooling
capability left in the US.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)

Thank you UG ... Or is that GMD?

To be fair, my components are made all over the world, but as much as
possible and assembly happen right here on our soil.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Bison 5C collet chuck vs. Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck vs. drawtube/ collet closer Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 August 2nd 07 02:35 AM
Door Styles Sla#s UK diy 4 November 19th 06 12:15 PM
Which collet size ER32 or ER40 ??? TMN Metalworking 10 January 17th 06 08:32 PM
corner styles CNT Woodworking 1 July 31st 05 07:23 AM
Books on furniture styles Nate Perkins Woodworking 6 December 27th 04 06:06 PM